PDA

View Full Version : Rare gix or P.O.S.?

Gixxer_rat85
16-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Hey all! I need some advice. I own (or should that be re-own, as I`ve owned this exact bike before), an `85 gix 750, which is not perfect, but could be restored to original pretty easily, (matching numbers, good plastics, blah blah). Its a Canadian import with original Lucky Strike stickers,and factory fuel guage. I wouldn`t mind `fightering it, but I`ve been told these bikes are becoming collectable and I should restore, rather than cut it up. Are these really that rare or what? Am I killing a collectable, or just being a pansie? should I restore the ol` girl, or strip it and bung a turbo on it? I already have a KKK turbo from a 4 cyl deisel truck to adapt, as well as a small supercharger from some jap `kei car` which would work after i fabbed a custm belt drive. Long story short.....collectable, or due for a weight-loss program? Thanks

Deano
16-07-2009, 05:43 PM
not sure about the exact model but if it aint a limited edition i wouldn't think twice about cutting it up.

not to sure about a disel truck turbo tho. have heard they are no good. look for a t25 i think.

evilkarl
16-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I've never heard of a factory 85 gixxer coming out with lucky strike livery before, a little before the era of Kevin's Lucky Stike Suzuki I would suggest. Most likely just a Jap import if it has the fuel guage.

What's its engine and frame number ?

Tony Nitrous
16-07-2009, 05:50 PM
You only live once.

If you cant convince anyone its rare and rob them of
a few dollars, then chop it up and have some fun.

They were good in their day, but unless it mean's
something special to you, do what you feel best with.
An all original classic or personal "fighter" your choice.

Wasnt the frame a bit skinny on the 85 750 ?
Nice and light though.

Ask "EvilKarl", he's the GSXR750 Guru .....[8D]

Tony Nitrous
16-07-2009, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Ask "EvilKarl", he's the GSXR750 Guru .....[8D]

Talk of the Devil...he beat me to it.

Gixxer_rat85
16-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, thanks! I think I will rape it then...just didn`t want to commit any sins, hehehe. Maybe I should strip it and fighter the ol girl, but keep all the bits so it can be easily converted back... It does have some sentimental value, but more due to having some crazy unknown motor (which goes more like a 7/11 than a stock 7fiddy) than being the bike i was conceived on or something!!!. And no it`s not a `Limited` as far as I can tell, as I understand the limited had a built in rear seat cowl and dry clutch among other things. Cheers blokes, now where did I put my allen keys and angle grinder????

evilkarl
16-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I'll take your left over bits.

All 750 frames throughout the world were the same, skinny yes, light yes, good, hell yea

Personally I hate to see these things get chopped, but I am an absolute slabby tragic.

Zed14
16-07-2009, 07:45 PM
its a p.o.s. burn it and video it for us then get yourself a kawasaki then you will have a quality fighter and a faster one as well. quality come from green.

Gsxar
16-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I live by - if its your bike d what U want :D Hence my bike started nice, good an original and I made it a me original:D:D

Tone
17-07-2009, 04:47 AM
I'd like to see the 750 turbo'd,don't see it happen much.
One of my fave bikes ever was a turbo 750 and the short stroker at that built by 'Diverse Paul' in SF mag a few years back.Can never seem to find much info on it (or any others though)but also seem to remember one of those turbo charging/super charging mobs in the UK (holeshot/tts???) wouldn't do it for fear of being maimed by exploding engine bits.
Anyone know of any other oiler turbo 750s?
Oh and gixxer rat85,cut it up,you know you want to.

El_Hefty
17-07-2009, 11:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Zed14

its a p.o.s. burn it and video it for us then get yourself a kawasaki then you will have a quality fighter and a faster one as well. quality come from green.

so thats why you were so keen to buy mine... to burn it huh :D

old gsxrr
18-07-2009, 08:01 AM
iff its worth something as a lucky strike your going to do dough, but a diesel turbo don't work
on much except a diesel

Zed14
18-07-2009, 02:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by little_large

quote:Originally posted by Zed14

so thats why you were so keen to buy mine... to burn it huh :D
yep sweetie thats why.

Gixxer_rat85
19-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks to everyone....I`m officially inspired! Plus I`ve spotted a super clean 87 model on ebay which only says that cleaner ones than mine are still around. I don`t feel so guilty now.

Oh yeah, and Zed14, thanks for your advice but dn`t think I`m gonna burn it yet :-). When you gonna put a bullbar and clearance lights on the Zed? Maybe you could adapt one from a Hayabusa? HEHEHE Cheers bloke!

Zed14
22-07-2009, 05:12 PM
its got driving lights standard