PDA

View Full Version : Adr and roadworthy rules

sharky
16-07-2009, 11:02 AM
I have been trying to find a simple explanation of the rules as I will have to get my bike compliance tested after it is built.
I am looking for simple info like 'indicators must be Xmm apart and Xmm high etc...
I plan to build this thing as close to the legal limit as poss...so that when I get stopped I can give them the half finger....
Seeing as I won't have any 'illegal mods' they won't be able to get me for anything.[^]

barknmad
16-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Try a search of ADR in the subject.
I posted a link a while ago for all ADR's...

sharky
16-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Oops...[:I][:I][:I]

scotty
16-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Yer what ee said...
I have all that fucking useless shit on file if ya need it...
and a hole fucking directory of way's to "re" word your testing results to pass just about all the shitty stupid one's like side stand switches n shit.
(I'm lucky enough to have to do this up 5 time's a year...)

BTW good luck with your reports, the engineeeerrrr's charge a arm and leg for the testing. I have paid 6g for a brake test before...

sharky
16-07-2009, 05:45 PM
??? I thought once the frame had passed the engineers inspection it just had to pass the compliance test and providing all parts used are legal and legit it shouldn't be a problem....Its not like I am building the brake master cyl...just using one of a stock machine.

Yamie
16-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Just give them the full finger and take off it would be easier:D

80s freak
16-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Adrs are a good start, but get the state regs as well, the states can over rule or indeed under rule the adrs.

Bear
16-07-2009, 10:13 PM
In NSW it's 250mm between indicators. Dunno if that's any help to you.

nelpd96
17-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Sharky,
I have got a copy of the QLD regulations at home. I will have a look through and give you the info that you need. I should be on the signatories list for QLD in the new year anyway so I might even be able to help you out.

Cheers
Paul

oldskool
17-07-2009, 02:47 PM
All states are the same ADR Australian design rules ,I have all the info just ask the questions and I will give you the answers xxx

scotty
17-07-2009, 05:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

??? I thought once the frame had passed the engineers inspection it just had to pass the compliance test and providing all parts used are legal and legit it shouldn't be a problem....Its not like I am building the brake master cyl...just using one of a stock machine.
yes you are correct in thinking that.
But for the compliance test you will have to provide a brake and noise test report(all done to there standards) and these are the killers. The writing of said test report is also best done by someone who is in regular contact with the DOTARS office, there are 3 company's in aus that do it. 2 of em are down ear and (dont quote me ) is in NSW. I have a good relationship with the vic guy's(and a good opinion on both)but no nothing of the 3rd bloke.
Give me a yell when ur nearly there and we can sort it;)
BTW you are gunna need a fuck load of info.. for example, what is the conditioning method used on the muffler your going to fit? Ha ha yes you need this documented.

Large
17-07-2009, 06:29 PM
quote:Originally posted by oldskool

All states are the same ADR Australian design rules ,I have all the info just ask the questions and I will give you the answers xxx

Yeah so I thought it'd be easy to get the Spondon registered in NSW...till the paki in the RTA informed me that NSW has "Vehicle Regulations" as well as ADR's so a bike that passes a full engineers inspection in one state may not be registerable in another.

sharky
17-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Been searching some chopper builders sites and IndCon came up...Individual Contructed Vehicles...
This is from the qld site...

Procedure for obtaining a compliance plate exemption permit and
approval letter for a two or three wheel ICV
QT has instigated the following procedure to obtain a permit and an
approval letter for a two or three wheel ICV.
The Approved Person (only those authorised for LH5 and LO1) applies to
QT with a submission that includes:
· All details and design specifications.
· Detailed description how the vehicle complies with all applicable
ADRs.
· Photographs of the completed vehicle clearly showing the complete
exterior and identification features.
· Details of the vehicle modifier.
· Details of the vehicle owner.
· Fee for surveying plans for modification of vehicle.

I'll be having a good chat with Shaun on sunday at the story bridge show...he has built a fair few one-framed bikes and should know whats what...
He is currently building a custom framed triumph triple so whatever applies to that will apply to mine.

fimpBIKES
17-07-2009, 08:16 PM
dont tell them its not the standard brake master cylinder, they wont notice and who cares?

just have a standard exhaust for testing and rego, you dont want to have to go through emissions testing [XX(]

or are you going for a fully custom frame? an engineers cert for frame mods should be under $500
talk to the engineer who is going to sign off on it first though, the ones i've talked to like to think they had a hand in the build
plus its good to know if they are completely opposed to what you're planning so you kind find someone else!

sharky
17-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I am hoping still to go for a one off frame Fimp.
Shaun has his 'friendly' engineer that knows his standards.
The bloke has inspected many/most of his frames so there's no issue there.

oldskool
18-07-2009, 12:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Large

quote:Originally posted by oldskool

Yeah so I thought it'd be easy to get the Spondon registered in NSW...till the paki in the RTA informed me that NSW has "Vehicle Regulations" as well as ADR's so a bike that passes a full engineers inspection in one state may not be registerable in another.

Fuckin Curry Monkeys!!!!!!!!

sharky
18-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I think I may have discovered the way around it....
Spoke to PC this morning...the frame he is building for the triumph is being done as a 'frame swap'.
Providing you have a road legal donor bike (or in my case a registered bike) everything can be swapped from A to B thus there is no need for compliance test. Technically only the frame is changing and providing everything meets current ADR's it shouldn't be a hassle.
It is a lot cheaper to as the engineer is only inspecting the frame work/welding. The only parts that need to be swapped are those relating to the ADR's.

Gixxer_rat85
20-07-2009, 09:08 PM
just a hint on custom or one-off frames. don`t paint or coat them until an engineer has signed off on it. Otherwise the authorities can (and will), make you strip it back to view any welds....it`s happened before and it painful. Cheers

sharky
20-07-2009, 09:12 PM
quote:just a hint on custom or one-off frames. don`t paint or coat them until an engineer has signed off on it. Otherwise the authorities can (and will), make you strip it back to view any welds....it`s happened before and it painful. Cheers
Yeah, that was my thoughts....plus any 'mods' made after rego will be easier ;)

fimpBIKES
20-07-2009, 09:55 PM
thats alright!

does that mean a custom frame such as largey's spondon could be done easily like that?

sharky
21-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Only if he had proof (photo's and doc's) that he owned the donor bike.....;)