PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Me A Cheap Tourer/Cruiser

chancer
06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

This is my first post.

My bike stable currently consists of a Buell XB12R. Probably selling that eventually in exchange for a 'proper' Harley (most likely some type of Dyna) and another streetbike (preferably naked or one I fighter-up.)

In the meantime I want to do a 300km round trip one day a week and want a cheap bike to do it on. I live a little out of the way and want to get back into kickboxing/martial arts properly (as in competing with other people again. Drunk mates and punching bags aren't much chop.)

The requirements are -

1. Comfort (I'm 6'4" at least so the Buell is killer + I don't want to put that many kms on it a week.)
2. Reliability. I see a lot of the Jap 4s with 100,000kms on them and still going strong...
3. Coolness. Yes, I'm vain. But not the sort of fully-faired cool that makes stupid teenyboppers stop at street corners and ooh and aah at my pointy geometry and glossy paint.
4. Fuel economy. As in I don't want a new VMax. (Well I do but not for this purpose.)
5. Price. Looking at about $3 - $4k.
6. Size. No 250cc cruisers. 500 and up however are all good.
6. Miscellaneous stuff like the ability to work on it myself. (I'm pretty handy, but if it has ten computers, fifty sensors, and a bunch of one off parts that require a two hundred thousand dollar set of tools to even remove then we can consider it a no-no.)

I've been thinking along the lines of a early 80s CB900 (I see some nice ones for sale for about $3 - $4k), a early 90s Virago (1100, etc.), etc. I don't know, what about things like VTRs/VFRs, XJs/diversions? Old XV1000s when they come up?

I had a 95 CBR600 and it was pretty good, like a lounge chair compared to the new ones. So even something along those lines.

Seed me with ideas please! I'll be guided by your wisdom. Even something I can fighter with a comfortable upright position for the right price with the right balls would be ideal.

Cheers.

DiscoDan
06-07-2009, 12:10 PM
there can be only one:

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1246874312.jpg

Roomy, powerful, classy in a retro kind of way and you can pick up a reasonable example for 2-3k. A single seat unit will clean up the lines and it will be a great basis for a fighter conversion in the future

latheboy
06-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Hot pink CT 110....

06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Toyota Camry

Hillsy
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
If you want low maintenance go forever type riding go XJ900 Diversion. They big, reliable, comfy, eat up the miles with no fuss and they're easy / cheap to work on.

If you want something you can fighter later, go Bandit 1200.

If you want reliability you'll want to get something newer (mid to late 90's) as the 80's bikes will be getting a bit long in the tooth and parts are becoming expensive / unavailable.

chancer
06-07-2009, 12:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Hot pink CT 110....

I actually 'appropriated' one of those off a mate. Not Hot Pink... Will that make it go faster? :)

chancer
06-07-2009, 12:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

Toyota Camry

Had one once. It does fit one of the criteria - reliable. I rammed the side of an XH Falcon ute (he actually overtook a postie illegally and at 'inappropriate speed'... on a CT110 believe it or not, how's that for synergy) with it and the Falcon took a massive hit, majorly messed up tray, etc.

The camry had one broken headlight. I thought that was pretty cool.

Thanks for your input guys... I like the sounds of a Gixxer 11-thou. They do emanate cool.

No opinions on cruisers? Probably not the right place to ask... :p

HOS
06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
B12 without question ;)

Ultra reliable and big enough for your size.
[u]Any</u> 6 will be too small.

DiscoDan
06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
^^^^ The B12 is certainly a candidate, particularly if you want something a bit newer and easier to work on. I'd still argue that if you're a 6'4" kickboxing Ninja god who will have shagged a good looking girl and her dog before she's even finished saying hello then a slabbie has to be your ride. The first time I arrived home on a slabbie even my mum started putting moves on me.

You know you want one.

chancer
06-07-2009, 06:22 PM
You think a slabbie will increase my mad ninja skillz? (And help me with people's mums...) I'm definitley there.

All the Buell ever did was allow me to get punched in the head because by the time I would arrive my wrists, arms and back no longer functioned. And I NEED my wrists. :D

I always thought a new parallel twin Ninja 250 would help with my ninja ability. I am easily led by marketing. And names. :)

Alright I will place a newer Bandit on the shortlist... Any advice on which particular year model GSXRs would be best?

chancer
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
What about a late 80s Sportster? /flame suit on.

rod185651
06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1246900367.jpg

The poor man's Ducati they sell for about 4k

HOS
07-07-2009, 06:44 AM
A few more you might consider:

TDM850
XJR1100
ZRX1100
Divvy 900
ZZR1100A/B
CBR1000
CB1000
V-Max
GSX1100G
GPZ1000RX
GPZ1100A/B
Triumph Trident 900 (Hinckley variant)
Hornet 900
GSX1400

Jup
07-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Adding to the list (I'd have one of each myself if I could afford it):

Burgman 400
Vstrom 650 (my current ride)
Shadow 800

scotty
07-07-2009, 05:07 PM
ya can pick up a good 60 series for a couple a grand now days

latheboy
07-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Does a 4 poster come with the 60 at that price.

How about a Y2K, theres a few going cheapish

chancer
08-07-2009, 10:02 AM
60 Series is a Landcruiser joke right? Or have I missed something completely here? :) If so, please enlighten me.

And HOS you mention a Hornet 900, does anyone have anything positive to say about the early 80s CBF900s, as there is often some nice looking restored ones in the bikes mags for cheap.

Hillsy
08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by chancer

does anyone have anything positive to say about the early 80s CBF900s......

Enter Jim...........

not that way [:0].......

Gix11
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Just been altered to a Slabbie for $2k. I'll try and add it to the sales section if I get chance.

Benz
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Go the Bandit B12 mate,or a ZZR1100/ZRX1100,or a GSX1100, if you can find one, most of these bike's 16v motors end up in dragbikes.
A slabby's seat will split you in half in a 100k's!
They are a legendary bike with a stonking motor, but for distance , the seat is a fuggen killer, at least the one on my example was........

Z Power
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
The ZZR1100 would be worth a look i rekcon

80s freak
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm following the trend and putting a vote in for the B12, but adding in the cbr1100 blackbird. A bit heavy I know but more comfortable than a fat chick.

scotty
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM

60 Series is a Landcruiser joke right?
correct

russo
09-07-2009, 01:51 PM
add a couple of grand and go

gsx14
zrx12
xjr12/13

super comfy reliable as and fuckloads of go

chancer
09-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys, it is helpful to have all these bikes from different walks of life but with similar capabilities listed in one place.

The Bandit seems to be a popular choice, what about its baby brother, the 600? I live fairly out of the way (not outback but
rural enough) and there's a mid 90s 600 for sale for about $3300 ono.

Or should I just be a real man and hunt down one of these bigger suckers.

Z Power
09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Good bike from what i've heard about them, popular with couriers in the uk so they must be reliable.

NZTHOU
09-07-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1247160365.jpg

V-Max. This is my old ride, a '92. Mad acceleration/crap handling great comfort. Cool as a pengions pecker. Scream up to corners barely in control and then bin it trying to get the tub of lard over on its side...

mad..but great.

;)

chancer
10-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Mate I love the original V Max I've wanted one for a while... And often see a reasonable example for about the $5 - 6k mark.

My only problem is I've heard they are uncomfortable (maybe that's just compared to a full on cruiser or something) and pretty bad on fuel consumption. How'd you do on fuel? Not usually a consideration but this bike is meant to be a weekly commute hack. (With a dose of cool.)

And does the V Max's engine keep going and going and going with regular maintenance?

NZTHOU
10-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Comfy as mate. I had highway pegs on mine and butchered a back rest from a Virago.

Under 6,000rpm she is a big pussy cat. Once you hit 6 and over the down drafts open up and she's a different beastie all the way to the redline.

Fuel economy - read above. Over 6 it drinks, below it can be quite reasonable. Like most bikes I suppose, it depends how you ride them and what your after.

The torque and acceleration off the mark through to about 150km is phenominal (for a big unit). I was a naughty boy many many times in town!

People bag them for their lack of cornering ability and their wooden brakes. I don't think thats fair - when you put it in the cruiser catagory and compare it to cruisers of the same era, its one of the best.

Cool bikes. Lotta bike for your lolly.

[8D]

rod185651
11-07-2009, 09:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by NZTHOU

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1247160365.jpg

V-Max. This is my old ride, a '92. Mad acceleration/crap handling great comfort. Cool as a pengions pecker. Scream up to corners barely in control and then bin it trying to get the tub of lard over on its side...

mad..but great.

;)

I know nothing about these bikes, but by just looking at this one, it looks Gay as fuck!

rod185651
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM
How about this concept V Max

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1247397683.jpg

chancer
12-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Well that basically is the new V Max isn't it?

And it is also $31,000 ...

Does that mean you approve of the new one as being less Gay as fuck Rod? Ha ha.

rod185651
12-07-2009, 10:34 AM

Well that basically is the new V Max isn't it?

And it is also $31,000 ...

Does that mean you approve of the new one as being less Gay as fuck Rod? Ha ha.

Yeah I guess so,;)
So how about this for an idea? Buy a V-max cruiser which is available in the price range required, a little modication street fighter style, a quick spray job with rattlecan matt black and voila a tough looking V-Max that doesn't break the budget.:D

Tony Nitrous
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-V-Max-1200cc_W0QQitemZ300329668202QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Motorcycles?hash=item45ed0b0e6a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C29 4%3A50

I've ridden a few and even considered buying one.
They are OK if you take them for what they are.
A heavy weight straight line cruiser.
Throw in a few corners or a top gear run and they have
been out classed since they day they were released.
Heavy, poor tyre choice, crap brakes and suspension, shaft drive
should mean they are rubbish, but they still make me grin to ride one.

chancer
12-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Hey that one's alright... Hadn't seen it on Ebay (and its in QLD which helps.) Thanks Mr Nitrous I will keep an eye on it. The highway I want to take it for a strap on each week is just one big straight line so that helps. And yeah, the grin factor often ends up being the deciding factor with me. (Which is why I got a Buell over a Speed Triple. It may be a tractor but it has presence.)

Rod I was thinking a big flyscreen and massive saddlebags to toughen it up a bit. Maybe some wire wheels and a sissy bar with a pink flag. Actually... Matte black would look pretty tough with sanding marks thrown in.

Does anyone know what a V Max sounds like in person? I've lusted after them for a long time but there are none up here. Does the V-4 have a distinctive note?

HOS
12-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks guys, it is helpful to have all these bikes from different walks of life but with similar capabilities listed in one place.

The Bandit seems to be a popular choice, what about its baby brother, the 600? I live fairly out of the way (not outback but
rural enough) and there's a mid 90s 600 for sale for about $3300 ono.

Or should I just be a real man and hunt down one of these bigger suckers.

The only problem with the B6 or "1/2 a Bandit" as we call em, is they are gutless and you`ll be forever wringing the tits off it to make it go. You`ll get bored of it in 5 minutes. ;)

chancer
13-07-2009, 06:28 PM
So I should definitely not be considering a 250 Bandit then... ;)

HOS
15-07-2009, 02:06 AM

So I should definitely not be considering a 250 Bandit then... ;)

You could always strap two together ? :):D

The ZZR1100 are a very underated bike and often cheap enough.
180 plus mph top end and very long distance bikes.
Comfort is exceptionally good for me at 6 foot 2", but with your height any bike might be an issue?

Thats one reason I suggested the TDM850 or TDM900 they are very tall bikes with plenty of room.

chancer
15-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Hey I'm only about two inches taller! Which is not much in the grand scheme of things. At least when it comes to height... :)

I'm off to do research on the ZZR then.

My other two main considerations would definitely be the V Max and 1200 Bandit.

fimpBIKES
15-07-2009, 12:47 PM
250 bandit is a great commuter :D

TurboKat
15-07-2009, 01:14 PM

Does anyone know what a V Max sounds like in person? Does the V-4 have a distinctive note?

Does Bear shit in the woods?
Mate, a V4 has the sexiest note around, a VFR 750/800 with an aftermarket can sounds grouse, throw in an extra 450cc & the Vmax (with Laser cans) is the best sounding bike I've ever heard - very much like the rumble of a V8. [:p]
There's no reason you couldn't make a Vmax handle reasonably, a set of quality adjustable shocks, a rework of the forks, maybe a fork brace & a 17" F & R wheel conversion with decent rubber & you'd be in business. It'll never handle like a ZXR but everything can be improved.

RED ZX
15-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I used to have an old ZX10, same shape as the ZZR1100, and at 6' 5" I was comfy enough. Only thing was the seat padding had seen better days. Size wise it was fine.

Bear
15-07-2009, 11:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

Does anyone know what a V Max sounds like in person? Does the V-4 have a distinctive note?

Does Bear shit in the woods?

Mainly when I'm camping or can't find a toilet block.

chancer
16-07-2009, 11:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat
Mate, a V4 has the sexiest note around, a VFR 750/800 with an aftermarket can sounds grouse, throw in an extra 450cc & the Vmax (with Laser cans) is the best sounding bike I've ever heard - very much like the rumble of a V8. [:p]

Well this definitely sways me in the direction of a VMax.

The ZZR/ZX-11 sounds pretty mean as well. I didn't realize they were such a mad cult bike. I read a review describing them as riding blast wave of endless power or something. This made me incredibly happy. Seems it was the 'busa of the early 90s.

However the cheapest examples I see are four grand and up which is within a grand or so of what I should be able to get a V Max for.

My original idea was to spend 2/3 - 4 grand but you gotta pay for the cool so stuff it. (Yeah I'm skint but I just bought a Maloo and this is meant to be a bike that I can ride into the ground and not care if need be. If I destroy four grand, I'll get over it. If I destroy fourteen grand, I'll get foetal on the highway.)

The Bandit etc. stay on my secondary list but I think the Max and ZZR definitely have that uniqueness that will win in the end combined with fulfilling most of the basic aims of cheap tourer/cruiser.

My original post also stated no V Maxes. My original post was wrong.

HOS
16-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I had a B12, then went to a ZZR1100D2 model before my 1st Hayabusa.

The D models are slightly better that the C.
D models have two front air scoops, C models have one.

They are a real quality ride and liquid smooth on the power.
Thick power ! [8D]
I bloody loved that bike and would have another one without hesitation.
Ultra reliable and comfortable cruise missile.
Went from Warwick to Harlech in 2 1/2 hours including a fuel stop .... no sweat.[:p]

The early D models were restricted by the type of carb tops.
Later models were full power, but you can swap the carb tops to get the extra horses ;)

I did the swap, fitted a Rhemus big bore 4 into 1, dyno`d it and had the loudest ZZR in England :D

NZTHOU
18-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Go the VMax matey. It's only as gay as you make it.

Mine looked a bit iffy with the backrest but the missus needed it there to stay on.

I had the staintunes on there and she sounded fucking amazing.

Ride one, nail it and then you'll know what the fuss is about.

It'd be a piece of wees to custom up because they already look/sound cool.

;)

Tony Nitrous
18-07-2009, 08:34 PM
My ZZR1100C3.

Fireblade "Fox-Eye" style lights 100+100 main beam,
Turn the chain adjuster upside down to raise the rear,
(just keep an eye on the chain cutting into the guide)
Ron Williams "Maxton" suspension back and front,
Full power derestricted carb tops of a ZXR750
(some Pommie bikes had restricted 100hp carbs that stopped
the slides opening fully) and a few other tweaks here and there.

Great motorway blaster, did a tour of France, Dragged at Avon Park,
Commuted to work, best bike I ever owned for rolling burnouts,
Survived all the abuse i threw at it and the Mrs dropping it.
They are a bit of a boat though, big, heavy and poor stock suspension.
Make a good Tourer, but chasing the Sports boy's is going to end up messy.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4772/zzr11c3.jpg

Traded it against the 1st of the B12's.

chancer
20-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey guys thanks again for replies I'm keeping an eye out for the ZZR and V MAX. (The V Max I was recommended earlier for sale on Ebay is gone baby gone unfortunately... I was hoping no one would buy it for a month or two so that I could spend that extra few grand and feel comfortable.)

However in my travels I've come across a rego'd, RWCd, good condition Kawasaki Zephyr (750) for less than $3,000. 98 Model.

Any word on these bikes? They've got that old UJM look, a bit muscley, 'upright position' so I imagine they'd be comfortable and fall roughly into the same quadrant as Bandits etc. A homage to the Z1000 and the like I imagine. Nowhere near as cult as the other two but is that a good price? Are they reliable and comfortable?

HOS
21-07-2009, 02:40 AM
I may have mentioned once or twice I have a Zephyr 1100 c1996 [:I]

Another great bike for chips money.

The 750 is almost identical just a little slower and lighter.
Ultra reliable when they are set up right.
Just a big old air cooled Kwak four, piss easy to ride and a real pleasure. Retro feel with more modern tyres and running gear.

At the risk of getting boring, heres my 11 :D

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248179203.jpg

HOS
21-07-2009, 02:43 AM
The Zephs are so rare now, they are cult ;)

Check the details and photos out on this site for plenty of ultra cool Zephs? :)
http://www.myzephyr.co.uk/index.php

chancer
21-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Interesting... save a few grand, still hits the targets.

HOS
22-07-2009, 02:57 AM
The Zephs go right back to the early 1990s so there are some real bargains to be had for older bikes.

With trad technology there isnt much to go wrong and they are easy to mend.
Some of the parts are getting quite rare though, especially gas tanks.

chancer
22-07-2009, 01:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by HOS

I may have mentioned once or twice I have a Zephyr 1100 c1996 [:I]

At the risk of getting boring, heres my 11 :D

That's a nice looking bike mate, any blingy bits/mods? What's up with the seat - looks comfortable. I might need to get me one of them.

HOS
22-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Nuffing major wiv da bling man :D

Its all cosmetic and mechanical improvements, to get it running nice.
Just for fun to make something a "little bit" different, to my own taste.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248362723.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248307488.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1248348863.jpg

The seat is standard, but tbh it doesnt give much support around the old nads area :(

Its not exactly racey, but it pulls well with 93 bhp. (according to the book)

NZTHOU
24-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Ride a V max and tell me what you think. Once you've done that you'll be in a position to comment on the rest....

grindella
30-07-2009, 08:22 PM
good question " does anyone have anything positive to say about the early 80s CBF900s" yep the best bending frames I have ever ridden, apart from most of the 1970's bikes.