PDA

View Full Version : Tail riser/Side Stand

Slingblade
07-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Has anyone added a tail riser on their bikes and found a way not to lenghthen the sidestand?

I am wanting to put one on my blade. It will increase the ride height by 30mm. I am assuming i will need to alter the length of the stand. any ways around it apart from carrying a chunk of wood ?

cheers

Gix11
07-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I have a pretty serious lean on most of my bikes when I have finished with them. Sticking it in 1st gear and thinking about the angle you are going to leave it on has never caused me any problems. Alternatively, some stands from the same brand fit straight in at a longer length. Damo from Bris had a slabside stand that was too long for his bike and would have been the perfect swap for mine but he disappeared before I got chance to follow it up.

Slingblade
07-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks Gix. I am hoping i can get away with it. The blade stands are fairly upright to begin with. Might do the riser and see how it is. Leaving the bike in 1st wont be a bad habit to get into. I am always leaving it in neutral. Its a wonder i have not had a bike drop over the years.

07-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Damo's still around mate,i found him at some traffic lights in Brizzy a few months ago.I was screaming out the window at him but he couldn't hear me coz his bike is so loud.Send him email,He travels OS for work so can be slow to respond sometimes.Otherwise "heridesfastbikes" has his number.

Slingblade
15-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Further to this topic. Will jacking it up 30mm make much of a difference to the looks ? I have had the tape out seeing how much higher it will be but its kind of hard to visualise. 30mm just doesnt seem like much. I havent seen any risers that are higher. I assume its due to the mechanical limits of the rear setup.

Gix11
15-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Are you talking 30mm at the dog bones? That will have more of an effect on the back as it will raise more than 30mm based on the fact you are highering it at a pivot point to the tail and the wheel and opening up that gap considerably.

EXBEN
15-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Changing the dogbones 10mm can move the rear of the bike up to 50mm.
Best thing to do is remove one of the dogbone bolts with the bike sitting on a trolley jack (be sure the bike is supported well) then jack it up to a height your happy with. Then measure the diference at the bolt hole to get an accurate measurement.( Does this make sense?)

Gix11
15-11-2006, 01:11 PM
It's not easy to explain this shit is it Ben. I just read my bit again and it's a bit weird.

Put your palms together and open your hands keeping the base of your hands together with about 10mm gap where your knuckles are. Look how far apart the tips of your fingers are! Same effect.

latheboy
15-11-2006, 02:16 PM
are you talking about MOTORCYCLES or yoga Gix

Gix11
15-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Deep breathes and relax........ Feel the dolphin inside you trying to take a dump......... and relax.

Slingblade
15-11-2006, 03:19 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/30193932276505.jpg

Sorry fellas i didnt explain real well. Poor old Si has nearly had a breakdown getting his point across.

The blade has this triangle plate set up. I think they increase the spacing between the bolt holes on the plates and this increases the ride height. It says it raises it by 30mm.

I realise it will put more weight over the front and make the rear more compliant but the fact is i am doing it purely for looks. it handles better than i can ride it as is. i just want a cheaper way of getting the ass end up with out fucking with the subframe. Just didnt know if 30mm will make a rats ass of difference.

crazymofo
15-11-2006, 06:33 PM
you'll find that the steering/handling will become more nervous, meaning the bars will twitch and headshake a lot more, also the rear will be more willing to bounce along the road under braking on rougher roads...... then again you may not ride bumpy roads flat out, so it wont be a problem.

cheers.joe.

Hillsy
15-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Can you get some sort of ride height adjuster for the top of the shock? (my ZX9 has one stock). Just a thought...

Slingblade
16-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Havent seen them for the blade in my cyber searches hillsy. I think the riser is my only option.

01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey Slinky, when did yu get the bits from Bikefarm?

I'm chasing them at the moment for a couple of tail riser sets for GPz9's, which I ordered over 2 months ago.

Slingblade
01-12-2006, 11:12 PM
i steered clear of bikefarm chalky. I am getting a Hesa riser through stu. should be here soon.