PDA

View Full Version : K5 Exhaust Info?

Gsxar
05-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know whats involved in putting an aftermarket can on a K5 & keeping the exhaust valve?
I have been told its beneficial to keep it - while u can loose a few horse power, I'm not really stressed bout that.[B)]

Stocky
05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
There is a reason none of the aftermarket exhuasts have an exhaust valve.

Removing the valve gains power all through the curve when the fueling is correct.

Even if you don't adjust the fueling it's rare that you loose power.

Just ditch it and the servo etc and get on with it.....

If you are scared of pulling an exhuast valve then you are in the wrong place here.... a hacksaw should be your friend grasshooper ;)

OZ750L
05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Some can be used with the stock exhaust valve but most remove the exhaust valve. For example, the Yoshi info takes you through fitting their pipes and removing the exhaust valve. However they state that it is for off road racing use only but most cops and RTA inspectors wouldn't have a clue. Most pipes are designed as a straight bolt or slip on and will use the stock fueling without causing damage and you lose minimal power as Stocky said. However to make the most of it, you should incorporate a freer flowing air filter and a DynoJet power commander to adjust the power curve to make the most of the mods. I have a couple of slip ons that will suit the 05 1000 and can get my hands on a PC3 for a good price. PM me and I'll mail you the details and prices if you are interested.

Hope this helps you out.

StuNVA
05-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I put a growler on my K5, it does not retain the valve, i dont think too many would as you are looking for power anyway. Its easy to remove the cables and cut the grey wire to stop the F1 light. It's an emission thing anyway isnt it ?

Booster
05-07-2009, 08:27 PM
As far as i'm aware the exhaust valves are for noise suppression ,
Stocky do you know which pin to pull in the 05's to remove the fault code, i think its different to my 01.

Right model for a reflash, just how high do you want it to rev Jo , or lifting the fron't too easily and want it tamer.. can treat the ecu like any fully programmable aftermarket one

Gsxar
05-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Topd guys that gives me heaps of info and lots to think & read about.
Oz sending you an email :D
Booster what do I need to order & when do u want me to bring bike up:D:Dlol Did you get my reply about what it needed? I said if I got a thou I needed a turbo [:o)][8D]So excited jumping around [:0];)

OZ750L
05-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Gsxar,

Can you double check which email the message went to? I've updated email to the same one as I sent you the parts lists through. Can you try it again thanks?

Booster
06-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Jo no reply since your first mail ?? current addy starts g-m there may be an old one in the system still

Building a kit for my 1k at the moment, not hard to knock out 2 of , there is also a nice kit for sale in the US $2K USD , i sent the guy a question about its current condition and availability as thats about 1/2 new price

Stocky
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I have a record of the right wire somewhere here. I'll look it up.

That's something you should work out how to turn off with the ECU reflash.

On a side note.. I'm thinking I might swap over to full K5/6 ECU, wiring etc on my K2 so I can run dual injectors and reflash the ECU etc.

Gsxar
06-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Ta Stocky :D
Booster will email you tonight ag:Din when I get chance to sit down. Wont nag for one I promise, but it would be nice lol.

Posting pic's soon I promise it DID happen. Damn kids have just gone & lost the camera :(

Gsxar
06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Checked my email YES YES YES please lol

Booster
06-07-2009, 09:28 PM
RR has a 03 ecu he is downloading soon , hope to convert mine to 03 32 bit to reflash , have the ecu just need the pinouts to see what changed.

Booster
06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
i'll chase it up ;)

Stocky
07-07-2009, 07:35 AM
The K3 ECU is plug and play .. EXCEPT

You need to swap the ignition trigger on the end of the crank for the K3 one.

I think I remember the trigger is also wired backward to the K1/2 as well but I'm not 100% sure.

Replace 12731-35F00 (8 trigger points)
With Part# 12731-18G00 (16 trigger points)

They are key'd to the crank slightly differently too but you can modify it to fit ok.

Booster
07-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Ok thanks
busa's crank triggers were wired reverse polarity from 8 bit to 32 bit , figured these would be the same

i'll order the bits :)