PDA

View Full Version : advice needed re sprocket - problem solved thanks

Matt
05-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I have got my bike pulled apart to put my new front sprocket on and no matter what I do we cannot get the front sprocket nut off. it has a nice square spigot sticking out so i have tried sockets but they seem to want to slip off, i can get heaps of leveage on a 12' shifter but i cannot get it to budge, what am i doing wrong? Is there a way to lock the engine or gearbox still rather than relying on the chain and rear wheel to hold the shaft? Its on an 06 Z1000

Thanks

Matt
05-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Doesnt matter, we got it. hahaha

cammy9r
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Compressor and an impact gun never seems to fail. Sometimes tightening it a little more helps too.
How did you finally get it?

Matt
06-11-2006, 07:06 AM
with a 12 inch shifter and a bit of tube over the end of it. It has got a really wierd looking nut that really doesnt suit a socket. The socket doesnt fit on preoperly becasue the nut edges are not defined, so a rattle gun wouldn't have worked for me, thats why it had me stumped. and the engine and frame are in the way of getting a good angle for the shifter. It was a bitch.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/549/p1010018bp6.jpg

sharky
06-11-2006, 07:30 AM
That looks like a "Get them off in the dealership only " type nut :(

Matt
06-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Yeah it definately needed some kind of special tool

EXBEN
06-11-2006, 08:24 AM
No special tools required, just a 6 sided socket thats long enough to reach past the square section & onto the hex. Because it's got six sides it drives on the faces not the corners. I use long impact sockets (which have six sides) on my rattle gun, they work every time.

Matt
06-11-2006, 09:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by EXBEN

No special tools required, just a 6 sided socket thats long enough to reach past the square section & onto the hex. Because it's got six sides it drives on the faces not the corners. I use long impact sockets (which have six sides) on my rattle gun, they work every time.

Ok thanks Ben, i will see if i can get a deep socket for next time. I saw your bike in the Bris bike show on saturday, were you there too? I would have liked to say gday. Bike looks fantastic btw ;)

Booster
06-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Are the outer "square" edges for the speed sensor??

Matt
06-11-2006, 10:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Are the outer "square" edges for the speed sensor??

yeah they are, dont ask me how it works tho :D

pt
06-11-2006, 12:46 PM
mr suzuki is much smarter. the speedo sender screws in, it isn't a big arse squar add on. you got it off though, good job, i was gonna suggest a shifter then jumping on it[:o)]

WATEVR
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
so the shifter and tube extention had a built in torque meter to set it correctly when you put the new sprocket on!!!! medium sized grunt perhaps!!

Matt
07-11-2006, 06:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by WATEVR

so the shifter and tube extention had a built in torque meter to set it correctly when you put the new sprocket on!!!! medium sized grunt perhaps!!

Yes it did :D:D[8D]

EXBEN
07-11-2006, 08:07 AM
quote:Matt Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 10:41:34
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by EXBEN

Ok thanks Ben, i will see if i can get a deep socket for next time. I saw your bike in the Bris bike show on saturday, were you there too? I would have liked to say gday. Bike looks fantastic btw
Yeah I was on the AuSteetfighter stand all weekend.