PDA

View Full Version : WTF is it with motorcycle riders these days

03gixxerpilot
22-06-2009, 11:15 AM
What the fuck is it with motorcycle riders these days, broke down on the way home form the dragstrip yestereday, sat on the side of the road for 45 mins waiting for a mate to come get me (and my bike) i lost count of how many bikes road past and not one of them stoped to say are you right mate,[V]

Fuck me i will always stop and check even if the only help i can give them is the use of my mobile or a lift somewhere.

Fish
22-06-2009, 11:23 AM
I know what you mean mate, it's becoming a bit of a rarety these day which is a real shame. I guess this is what happens when bikes become the "in" thing, all the dickheads jump on it too cause it's just another fashion accessory to them.

chopaweeza
22-06-2009, 12:18 PM
About 10 years ago down here there was a rash of Good Samaritan hijackings. Involved either a "Broken Down" car or bike , a pretty piece of arse and a bloke with a firearm . You pull over to help , they either get you under the hood & knock you out or get you out of sight of the road & tie you up and then rob you & take your wheels. After that people just stopped helping out for the most part especially if you were on a bike . I know 2 people (both ex-servicemen) that got hustled like that. One lost the family SUV(later used in an ATM Ram Raid)and the other lost a new Softail that was later recovered in Queensland . Both got screwed about by their insurers and the Softail owner had to take his to court before they finally paid up. Doesn't stop people like me from helping but I'm more cautious when I do pull over to help.

22-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Actually in Canberra it's the only courtesy left i think. Every time i've been stuck on the side of the road (which happens a lot with a shovel) i've had someone stop and offer help and yep even if they're in a cage they always turn out to be a rider

80s freak
22-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I'll still do it, returning the favour from a bloke who picked me and my bike up on the side of the road in Mansfield and drove me all the way back to metro melbourne and wouldn't take any payment, legend. Screw the risks.

Bear
22-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I reckon it's a bit like that movie, "Pay it forward." No doubt we will all require roadside help at least once in our motorcycling lives.

Tony OW31
22-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I always stop, but i had a puncture a couple of months ago and not one bike stopped, a woman in a car did tho', thought it was strange.

Docktor
22-06-2009, 02:53 PM
i for one would like to be held up on the side of the road by a chick with a pair of 38s.........

I stop , hell i even do a uturn if i cant stop and go ask em if they need anything.always got a 5 litre can of gas in the truck so if its just juice they need i can sort em out fast

Jup
22-06-2009, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bear

I reckon it's a bit like that movie, "Pay it forward." No doubt we will all require roadside help at least once in our motorcycling lives.

Don't get me started (*starts tearing up just thinking about it...)

Seriously though, if I stopped doing everything that some asshat was taking advantage of I'd end up sitting alone at a computer.... no... wait....

Just stop and help your fellow riders, oh and the odd nod/wave would go astray either!

chopaweeza
22-06-2009, 05:08 PM
About 3 months ago on the way home from a ride I saw a FZ1 Yamaha on the side of the road with Ambo's & stuff near my house. I stopped , asked the rider if he needed help and ended up going home to get my car/trailer . Poor bloke had his daugtheron the back having picked her up from school when a 15 year old learner driver was getting lessons from his dad before he had his L's and he ran the bloke & his daughter into the Armco railing shattering his knee . The Towie's wanted $100+ to tow his bike the 2kms home and were pissed off that I was stealing their business . Like any decent fella I refused any offer of payment and got the bike home for him. Got a call from the rider a week later and it turned out that he owns Giovani's Restuarnt in Parramatta so one day I'll take the missus up there to see if he recovered OK. In the eyes of the people there I was the steriotype large tattooed Bikie scumbag but my actions showed them what we are really like and came as a really decent suprise as well. The fact that I was able to stand up to the vulturous Towie's also made a large impression too . Nothing wrong with people helping people . Nothing wrong with Bikers helping Bikers either .

StuNVA
22-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Me young fella and I were scooting across the road from Walcha to the start of the twisties, he was on his ZX250R and me on me gixer, well I was over taken by a guy on another gixer, well you know how it is the testoterone kicks in and the light from the 250 gradually fades away into the distance in the rear view mirror, after a while I was stopped at some road work lights and a guy on a transalp pulled me over (fuck knows how he caught me) and told me about a green bike back away on the side of the road, I done a u turn and I reckon every bike I passed then tried to wave me down and tell me about my son back a way. He'd thrown a chain at $1.80, he was lucky I wasnt riding back to Walcha to organise an ambo, just a bloody chain (from Armidale).

Funny thing was some chicks drove past while he was standing there waiting for the tow ute, they tossed a P plate at him blew him kiss and took off, there was a mobile number on the back of the plate..lucky little prick.

Lucas
22-06-2009, 06:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by StuNVA

Me young fella and I were scooting across the road from Walcha to the start of the twisties, he was on his ZX250R and me on me gixer, well I was over taken by a guy on another gixer, well you know how it is the testoterone kicks in and the light from the 250 gradually fades away into the distance in the rear view mirror, after a while I was stopped at some road work lights and a guy on a transalp pulled me over (fuck knows how he caught me) and told me about a green bike back away on the side of the road, I done a u turn and I reckon every bike I passed then tried to wave me down and tell me about my son back a way. He'd thrown a chain at $1.80, he was lucky I wasnt riding back to Walcha to organise an ambo, just a bloody chain (from Armidale).

Funny thing was some chicks drove past while he was standing there waiting for the tow ute, they tossed a P plate at him blew him kiss and took off, there was a mobile number on the back of the plate..lucky little prick.

HAHAHAHAHAHA< throw off a chain and throw in a length.

I almost always stop no matter where I am or what the weather. I've been stuck in some pretty fucked up situations, always in my car, and have had cunt after cunt cruise on by tooting horns etc. I know too well whats it like to have a 15km walk to the nearest servo down the hume in winter at 10pm at night and I wouldn't want too many others to have to do it either.

DiscoDan
22-06-2009, 06:32 PM
To throw a few cents in as well; I reckon part of the issue is that modern bikes don't break down enough. It used to be that if you saw another rider on the side of the road you had to stop to maintain your karmic balance coz you knew, sure as shit, that you'd be on the side of the road yourself sometime in the next few months. Now lots of riders have nice new bikes that get maintained by dealers (my father-in-law has never even adjusted his own chain) and they just don't get it.

Issues
22-06-2009, 07:04 PM
We stopped saturday n helped an old couple broken down in a hilux, they were in the middle of nowhere.

I stop for most people unless they wear colours or look like some gangsta fuckwit.

When I was working arvo shift, coming home at 11.30, there was a young mum with a flat on the pacific hwy. I was travelling in the opposite direction but could see the baby seat in the back and the flat tyre. I took the next exit and went back to help, would of taken me 10 min and still no one had stopped. No one gives a fuck these days, there was no where for anyone else to hide, the drivers door was open so inside was visable and she would have been 45kg. It was june and quite chilly.

My missus lost the front lhs wheel off her patrol wagon a month ago on the logan motorway at 7.30am. It took me 30 min to get there and she had walked up the road, got the tyre, jacked the knuckel up off the road and re-fitted the wheel by the time I got there. No one offered to help her. Although 2 vulchers (tow truck drivers) watched her do the work. Our 3 year old was with her.

Gotta love moddern society.

Z Power
22-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I got stuck on the side of the road on my zx7, the alternator shit it self on the way home from work. And people i pass every day didn't stop to help. There must have been about 15-20 bikes ride past not one of them stopped. I always have and will stop, even for the pricks that didn't for me. But i have always been a nice barsted:D;)

hotmilk
22-06-2009, 07:27 PM
back in the day when i lived in bris my mates borrowed my car to go down to tugun (sp?) for the weekend.
Anyway about 1km before the smith st exit they blew a gasket on the thermostat housing.
To cut a long story short in the hour and a half odd it took me to get to smith st they had only had one truckie pull over (they had made a 'will give blowie for a lift' sign and he obviously thought it was a good idea cos he asked who was giving it lol).
The only other vehicle that pulled over was while i was there for an hr fixing the fucker was a vulture who said he'd tow me back to bris.... for $550!!! I told him to piss off!
Everyone else just tooted and yelled shit at us.
When i ran outta juice down here on the bike though a guy in a 4wd who had a gixxer thou turned around and pulled over and gave me a lift to the petrol station after seeing me pushing it down st kilda rd.
And after thinking two nights later how i should return the favour to someone someday and thinking no one was that dumb to run outta juice like me, i came across a guy who was outta juice. I pulled over, rode to the nearest fuel station and discretely filled a old water bottle i had in my bag and took it back to him. He tried to give me money but i refused... i cost me 2 dollars for the fuel or something lol but it woulda got him to that same servo so he was happy :)
It's the little things that count in life!

hyofighter
22-06-2009, 07:31 PM
sitting on the side of the road with my helmet by my side and cars just drove past , something missing from the picture motorists ?? how about my bike that was laying down in the ditch , still no one stopped waited for the rest of the riders and after them pulling the piss for a while (cheers for that)we got the bike out

on the other side of the coin i stopped to help a lady with a flat tyre no problem , till i got the jack out WTF is this i said no wonder people cant change a tyre with some of these space saving light weight seriously confusing jacks some of which id be scared to lift a sandwich with

JackTar
22-06-2009, 07:40 PM
No wonder you're crashing your bike if you need a jack to lift a sandwich muppet arms.

BANDITROD
22-06-2009, 08:21 PM
fucking lol

hyofighter
22-06-2009, 09:02 PM
muppet arms haha :D my arms are just fine i just like big sandwiches

2ndclasscitizen
22-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I always try and stop, but I often don't notice till I'm just about on them and am usually running very late.

quote:Originally posted by Lucas

HAHAHAHAHAHA< throw off a chain and throw in a length.

Brilliant call.

LKC73
22-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Ive always stopped when Ive seen anybody with a problem, even if it was a car or bike or even a scooter! I have a ute, it stocks a folding ramp and tie downs in the tray always. They have come in handy at time. Ive helped out a bike & rider, while he was trying to push he's bike through the airport tunnel with a flat rear tyre. That is just one of the storys I can add here.

Jup
23-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Stopping when you're running late just adds to the kindness of the gesture.

Stopping when you're afraid of being mugged shows your courage

Stopping for a bikie tough guy dispells stereotypes

I can think of a million reasons to avoid being kind - how hard is it to think of a reason not to avoid it?

Anakist
23-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Woah weird. Was out on a ride today and stopped to help a guy who had a flat on his hardley.

James

old gsxrr
23-06-2009, 07:25 PM
i stopped to help out a teenage chick on a country road that was wearing a bikini top and a towel around her waist ,i thought this is not a good spot for her to be by herself, she had lost all brakes and so i swapped cars with her and drove her car with just the handbrake untill we got to her friends place -about 30 miles
i told them the after hours number of a wrecker that would be able to help them out and a guy at her friends place started accusing me
of seting them up to get ripped off, i thought well i dont give a stuff the girls safe now so i'm off
the other thing about riders not waving to each other i've given them the finger just to see iff they were watching me coming towards them ,yeah they're looking but don't want to lower their image by waving back to a guy on a jap bike that has has prob 25 more years experience than them and have ridden longer distances than a 2 hr run

EFE 1230
23-06-2009, 08:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

fucking lol

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1245771834.jpg

dingo
23-06-2009, 09:45 PM
i have always stop to give a hand or a lift , i run the same route several times a day and often pick up people walking to town. i walked those roads many times and it aint fun. most people are really surprised i stop as many dont anymore.

DaveK5
24-06-2009, 07:04 AM
Fuck...ya coulda sms me, I would've left the strip only 10min before you.
And here's me making jokes about you walking down the highway with the MadAss over your shoulder...How wrong is that..sorry to put the mockers on ya.
Charging probs again I take it.:(

03gixxerpilot
24-06-2009, 09:36 AM
well you could say that (but no it wasent) it is all sorted out now, will be back on the road today if (and that is not because of the problem) it could have been on the road again on monday, but i had to do the fork seals as well. LOL

Weaselman
26-06-2009, 03:20 PM
I help so many bikes on the side of the road i made a business of it with Jim

SOS motorcycle recovery... ahem

Chrimsey
26-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Im Your local Freindly RAC Contractor, ill stop to help anyone, even when not on call, even if there not members, i just hope someone returns the favour some day

jock
27-06-2009, 05:49 PM
there was an old guy parked right out front repco,like 2 metres from the door, he'd gone in, came out and saw he had a flat tyre. Stinking hot day I watched about 5 pricks walk out in quick sucession and basically walk over him - fucktards

banshee777
28-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I broke down twice today. No one stopped though one rider asked if I was alright as he passed, gave him the thumbs up.

JackTar
28-06-2009, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by banshee777

I broke down twice today. No one stopped though one rider asked if I was alright as he passed, gave him the thumbs up.

Getting rid of the suzuki will help with that problem.

;)wasent a suzuki LOL

Gix11
29-06-2009, 03:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by banshee777

You seemed to be going alright when I saw you in Oxenford mate, you were following another bike. I saw you in the mirror as I recognised Dave's old bike and you actually made me turn into the Oxenford shopping centre cause I wasn't concentrating....

Where did it all go wrong?

papa smurf
30-06-2009, 05:02 PM
I did my good deed for the day this morning.
Guy on a 900 hornet in the ditch beside the gateway motorway on my way to work.
He was still upright so he hadn't binned it completely but here was no way he was getting out of there on his own.
I pulled up, jumped off the bike & then spent the next 10 minutes dragging this bloody honda through the mud to get him out.
Got him up to the side of the road & i thougt he was going to cry or hug me or both, i'm not sure which.
In the end he just shook my hand & said thanks about 50 times.

The one thing that pissed me off though is that at least 20 other bikes went past while we were getting him out of the ditch & NOT ONE of them even slowed down let alone stopped. Cunts.

banshee777
30-06-2009, 05:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

You seemed to be going alright when I saw you in Oxenford mate, you were following another bike. I saw you in the mirror as I recognised Dave's old bike and you actually made me turn into the Oxenford shopping centre cause I wasn't concentrating....

Where did it all go wrong?

Everything went okay over Tambourine and Advancetown but on the run back up the highway I got a few little surges and then she seemed to really struggle and I thought I was running out of fuel so I ended on the side of the road near Pimpama. It would start, ran like crap and not idle at all. After the towie arrived an hour later the bike was fine so I left him and just tried for home. After it had warmed up for 5 minutes I had the same issue and ended at the side of the road again at the Redland Bay road exit. This time it would idle but still felt like it was on 3 cylinders (???) so I just rode it home anyway.

Bike's now at the mechanics with the carbys off for a look see and clean - hopefully will be back together by Saturday.

Gix11
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM
She's been sat for a fair while mate so could definitely be the floats sticking or something simple. A good carb clean should sort it fine.

_M_
01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I had that good for the whole day until i went home and had to pull over like a dozen times, turned out to be that when i was rerouting my wiring and lifted my tank i had unplugged the fuel pump.