PDA

View Full Version : Engine machining and re-sleeving work in Brisbane

sharky
20-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I need to get some prices for re-sleeving a block and crank case maching work for bog bore kits.

I am trying to work out if it is more cost effective to rebuild the 1200 motor I have down in the garage (that owes me nothing)
or to stump up $3k for a complete Xjr1300 motor,loom,carbs package from a wrecker ('03 model 6k on clock)

I have a Dyna 2000,dyna coils,ape cam chain tensioner and billet clutch basket in the garage as well. These bits (bar the Dyna2000) could go on either bike.

If I go for the 1300 motor I can fit the fj1200 inlet rubbers and cams (as they are 'hotter' than the stock xjr13's)
I have decided to go with a custom frame from our man Shaun (PommyChoppers).

Tony OW31
20-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Best guy round here is Ron Russ over Mt Gravatt way, top quality work. dont know his number off hand tho'.

Zed14
20-06-2009, 05:41 PM
scott lynch

Hagarr
20-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Having spent 15+ years in the Engine Reconditioning Game doing allsorts from Briggs and stratton to Caterpillars to an Array of Bike motors

Buy the XJR 1300 lump!!!

There is no way by the time you do everything properly, Big Bore Etc you can match the reliability and eventual price of rebuilding your own unless you can do most of the work in house.

sharky
20-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Cheers for the advice guys....
I am waiting on a quote from Serco..see where we go from there..

Its a toss up between rebuilding the FJ12 motor with a big bore kit on it or going with a complete package from a wrecker...I have been offered an '03 XJR13 motor with 6k on the clock plus oil cooler & headers, loom, ECU, relays, coils etc & RH switch gear for $3000.

Seeing as the 1300's are actually only 1250cc there's not much in it.
If I go the 1314cc kit I need to get the upper crankcase machined out as well...more expense.

I also have to consider the cost of carbs and wiring as well as set up time on a dyno.

I have a Dyna 2000,dyna coils,adjustable cam sprockets,ape cam chain tensioner and billet clutch basket in the garage as well. These bits (bar the Dyna2000) could go on either bike.

If I go for the 1300 motor I can fit the fj1200 inlet rubbers and cams (as they are 'hotter' than the stock xjr13's)

The complete package is tempting as it would require minimal dyno time to get it running right....it is stock factory set up so I could get a good base line dyno reading for the mods planned

sharky
22-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Deal is done.....'03 model motor, 6000K on the clock plus all bits to make it run...carbs loom etc $3000.
This way I get to set up a bog stock motor and get a baseline dyno reading before the fun starts.
A big bore kit alone was $1500 plus $500 for machining barrels and crankcases...plus carbs...plus setting up from scratch...