PDA

View Full Version : Crewman Ute?

Gsxar
19-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Maybe I should have asked a bit earlier [:0] What do people think of the Crewman utes? I'm not into cars at all, like it to be reliable and do what I wanted it do.. [:p] I was thinking I wanted a dual cab 4wd, dont think I would use 4wd that much and there all a bit slowish in my price range anyway, But i want a ute,why? cause i do lol
Anyway I stopped at the car yard today & saw & kinda put a deposit on an 04 crewman - have I dont a good thing? Was great to drive goes ace, I fear for my licence I drive a bomb car cause I need my points for the bike lol

scotty
19-06-2009, 05:55 PM
hope you like putting in fuel

timbo
19-06-2009, 06:02 PM
From what I've herd they can be a bit of a bitch to reverse and like Scotty said they love the fuel

Rocket
19-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I had an 04 Crewman SS.
Besides all the shit I did to it, like big wheels, engine pump ups, clutch and diff ratio changes etc, it was okay.
Quite long so get used to reversing into car parks in shopping centres.
and wide at the back too.
Reasonably heavy compared to a commodore and the gutless V6 will mean it's a bit of a slug as you're taking off.
Rear leg room is poor and like all crew cabs, people in the rear seat get a straight backed seat and are generally not very well looked after.

But when you're driving, it's like like being in a sedan, conmfortable and easy.
The tray is big enough for a bike with the tailgate down but the tie down points are a bit average, i mainly used mine for dirtbikes.

I think they're quite an okay car and certainly preferable to a jap crewcab, unless you want a fourby.

Oh yeah, I didn't like the intermittent windscreen wiper set up. There's no interval adjustment, it works on the car speed or some shit.
and I never liked holdens cruise control set up, the ford is much easier to use.

Lewis Moto
19-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Hate Holdens and after owning Fords for the last 14 yrs I hate them too.
Japcrap all the way!
The crewman is a fair compromise but there is a reason behind why they stopped manufacturing them - They are expensive both to manufacture and own. Horses for courses of course of course.
Currently screwing down Nissan dealers for a spanking new D22 Navara. Best price so far is $31800 but got a 2-3 month wait on delivery.
Went past the Mazda dealer today too and found that the new BT50 ( Ford Ranger ) 4x2 is 35 driveaway. Good price but still want the Navara.

Matt
19-06-2009, 09:02 PM
D22 Navara would be a far better option in my opinion, I bought the D40 but only because I needed the extra room in the back for my horde of kids. The back of the crewman is not a comfortable commute.

Gsxar
19-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah its looks like a car in the mirrors, think will put a rear camera on it. As for the leg room in the back wont be problem lol I have the seat all the way forward and I would still prefer it closer being the short arse I am :D :( I got told they were good on petrol. Its kinda a good mix for a busy mum with a new husky chainsaw she need ute to put it in:D;)

Weaselman
19-06-2009, 09:58 PM
hahaa i just drove one back form the blue mountians

In one word
SHIT

The automatic transmission has no idea what the fuck its doing. Gutless because of all the emissions shit in it.
Heavy on the juice to and its only the V6 and I drive B doubles and id call it a cunt of a thing to park without sensors.
The arse is to high and all you can see in the mirrors are the ends of the cab.

19-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Doesn't matter how far forward you have the front seat make sure you only put people you hate in the back

336LJ
20-06-2009, 12:43 AM
sorry to hijack. but I'm in the market for a decent dual cab 4x4 something or rather. (hilux/rodeo) The missus currently has the vx calais II - supercharged 6. wicked family car, but its impractical for the roads we intend on driving on when we move. and I don't want to bash the thing to bits going too and from the folks property all the time.

Wan't a 4cyl t/diesel. dual cab 4x4 - up in the air with a big fuck off bullbar as a minimum. between late 90's early 00's.
they are going for about the same price as the VX so I'd even do a straight swap. (if anyone knows anyone)

My mate worked at holden as a mech, said those crewmans were frikken horrible on fuel. and thats on the highway. get off road in the thing and ur using about 6 times as much. Not that I can talk cause I love my v8's and dont give a shit about fuel, but fuel is only going up in price if thats something you think is already painful, and the 6pot rego is now about the same as what 8cyl rego was, (which has gone up also)

edit: oh yeah - uv got a cooling off period on that contract.. If u want to change ur mind

Matt
20-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Ive never driven a crewman but a sales rep that comes into work is constantly whinging that its crap on fuel.

The crow
20-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Had crewman as a company car and agree with what has been said by all as above. The only thing that made me happy about it was that the fuel card was not paid for by me. And then if you put a load in the back the gauge just drops faster. And if your 6ft of taller there a bastard to get in and out of as there so low to the ground. so if your doing a lot of running around and have to get in and out half a dozen times in short time it can get painful. Theres heaps of twincab utes 2x4 and 4x4 that will do a better job and have more go and in the long run make you happy

jakam04
20-06-2009, 10:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by Matt

D22 Navara would be a far better option in my opinion, I bought the D40 but only because I needed the extra room in the back for my horde of kids. The back of the crewman is not a comfortable commute.

Horde of kids???? You got four? or three? My options for a family car involve a vehicle with minimum 6 seats so that counts out any duel cabs :(

Miss GSXAR, every make of car will have some horror story on how they are lemons etc... Its a game of hit and miss... Can only play the odds...

Jarrod

scotty
20-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Had a Nav king cab 4x4 for a few years and spewed when i sold it. Eveyone luved to drive it (2.4 on gas) was a bit slow(great for points)but could drive Melb to Crapabera non stop.Reaplaced it with a 60 series (wanted an option on 2 or 4wld not constant) people still seem to prefer(not me) the Nav.The Nav was lighter and easyer to keep on line, Didn't follow the bumps an shit as much, It had less power than the Cruzer (4.2 td) but the Nav is whaaaayyy cheaper on just runnin round fuel.But jojo nothing in a twin cab ute is going to be as "car like" as that,the constant 4x4 is why they luv juice,gone are the day of selectable tranfer case's.They don't make em any more and people still buy em so ur not stuck with it. Drive it for a while, then buy a cruzer an we can chop it:D

Lucas
20-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I just bought an '03 Triton dual cab. I was wanting a hilux but the Triton popped up. I couldn't be happier with it. Its gots lots of extras though so it makes it a little bit more my style.

Docktor
20-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Pity ya not in Melb Luke. I been thinkin about gettin rid of my landcruiser for somethin like a commy.... Sounds like ya better go back and tell em to jam the crewman Jojo ?.

Azrael
20-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Steve Burns has a crewman, of course he supercharged it..as you do..

Docktor
20-06-2009, 05:00 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1245486348.jpg

arrr yes. The old mr burns's son yeah ?

336LJ
20-06-2009, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

Pity ya not in Melb Luke. I been thinkin about gettin rid of my landcruiser for somethin like a commy.... Sounds like ya better go back and tell em to jam the crewman Jojo ?.

Wat type of cruiser u got? Iv wanted one of those defenders for ages, I like the older ones too, but I have to pick something the missus can drive.. seeing as tho the commy is hers!

Just so long as I can take it for a "trip" and sink it up to the mirrors out on the border ranges, gurney it off and pretend nothing happened when I bring it back to the missus.

The vx has a dent on the front guard from a rock, bout the size of a fist (Lantrak C*NTS.... watched the fucker skip down the highway towards me when it flew out of the duallies of the semi that came out of some roadworks) but we are sortin it out with insurance, and its goin in for a thorough going over (I suspect 02 sensor - have just replaced coilpacks etc.)

any common probs with the old cruisers? being a big heavy tank I'd assume they chew deisel like hell?

Docktor
21-06-2009, 09:49 AM
A defender is a land rover aint it ? . Mine is a 100 series cruiser with non ifs. 4.5 litre petty engine on the bar b que. Not real fast off the mark but will cruise on 120 towin the queen mary.

Gsxar
21-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Doc dont you know me better than that..... Of course I'm still buying it :D I think Jarrod's right I have heard good stuff and bad stuff about it. I think its gonna suit my needs:D if I dont like it, I'll get ride of it and get something else;) Scotty had a cruzer, decided its easier to leave it to my mad 4wd friends and then just go out with them [:p]

336LJ
22-06-2009, 12:45 AM

A defender is a land rover aint it ? . Mine is a 100 series cruiser with non ifs. 4.5 litre petty engine on the bar b que. Not real fast off the mark but will cruise on 120 towin the queen mary.

Yeh land rover. but thats the kind of sized 4wd I would wan't, just not the missus :( same with the old cruisers those things are tanks.

Docktor
22-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Flog the hell out of it Jo, If it breaks they can fix it. :). Mine is the last cruiser before they de tankerfied em and made em out of rubber drivetrains

336LJ
23-06-2009, 12:43 AM

Flog the hell out of it Jo, If it breaks they can fix it. :). Mine is the last cruiser before they de tankerfied em and made em out of rubber drivetrains

hmmmm well they cant be as gay as those massive mazda gaythings. like newer bravo's or watever they arec called!
bloke at work is selling an older cruiser not a bad bit of gear, but has a 350chev (yay for my ears - but kind of going backwards I wanted 4 cyl diesel for the cheap(er) rego.. and so I can bog it