PDA

View Full Version : Advice on engine build

sharky
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM
I am trying to decide how to build the spare FJ motor I have.
Do I need to replace the rods for a 1340cc plus nitrous motor ?
On the other hand I have always loved the sound of a super charger....ever since riding the 'charged Z1100 that we had at the bike shop in the UK....ok so it was set up crap but the sound [:p]
I'd prefer the massive grunt of a 'charger as opposed to the top end of a turbo (besides EVERYBODY is doing it these days [|)])
And, just to make things awkward, I'd like a new one -off frame....
Decisions,Decisions....
Oh and Workcover is soon to make me an offer....[}:)]

Fish
12-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Deffo go the charger sharky, and the 1340 just for kicks. Then let me have a go:D.

sharky
17-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Jeez...the response was deafening.....

Ok guru's...
I'm going to go the custom frame route with the big bore motor.

So question is....
Do I need to use carillo rods if I'm going to use Nitrous ?

I plan to get the gearbox sorted...undercut the dogs and straight cut gears to cure the Yamaha 2nd gear gremlins.
Nothing to radical in the way of tune...just loadsa grunt with a lil kick up the arse when required, in a proper 'old skool' one-off frame. [}:)]

scotty
17-06-2009, 05:48 PM
There's no replacement for displacement....
Turbo'd big bore w/ nos, Yes do rod's

Elapid
17-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd definately get a set of good rods if the power/tourque is going to get increased. Cheap insurance.

Kris.

latheboy
17-06-2009, 07:20 PM
They dont have to be Carillo's there are other really good brands around, if you order carillo's dont expect them in a hurry.
I'll 3rd the yes on the rods...

How far do you want to go,how much do you want to spend.
O'ring the block maybe.

ozzy1100
17-06-2009, 08:52 PM
fuck russ u like doing things not by 1/2 lol
look im prob wrong dont know bike motors like car stuff but have found people put way 2 much time thinking about rods etc
this is just my opp ... what really kills rods is 1 of 2 things 1: rpm ( the stregthing of the rod at tdc think enersa(fucked if i know spelling)
not compertion at bdc) 2: detertion pinging 2 the rest of us (bad tune and forced induction makes it mucccccccchhhhhh worse
and nos is forced induction as well). now bike rods are allready nice and strong because of the rpm they rev at and from what i have read
a rule of thumb is u need 2 make about 50% more power with forced induction even before the extra load pushing down on the rod = the load
on the rod by the enersa(yea yea ) of the piston as it moves 2 tdc (u then get into dweel angle v time etc makes my brain hurt)
i have seen lots of motorsput out over 2 times the horse power with forced on stock pistons and rods (yes yes there are week motors that wont take but most will )
now what kills these motors is tune .... did i say tune well its tune ,when turbos and etc really took off in the 90s what let they work better was efi and being able 2 acc
tune the af ratios evn then in the eally days so many motors falled and where said 2 be week but it was the tune detetion kills forced
i have seen rods look like s when taken out ring lands missing etc i have all so seen close 2 stock 350 chev motor in hq run high 10s with
wet nos (200 hp kit from mem)
now ive had my rant, if u not tring 2 make stupid high hp (250 +) lenesh rods (reduces edges for stres piont 2 strat etc) very cheep can be done yr self should be good then maybe think of
haveing them balenced or give it a go yr self u need . g scales lots of time and a little bit of thought(end 2 end is where its at)
really going all out is haveing them treated shot peaned isnt much then there is heat then all out is cold (all the race boys doing it lol
after maket rods are great but fucking dear in the right ap they the only thing 2 use but most of the time most of us not tring for that much power that the
money better spent on other thing lol sell a hay burner u can get the lot lol

sharky
17-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I've been looking around and there's a lot of bikes out there for the 3-5K range.....
Maybe I should look at some of those first....I'll soon have the cash to spend...and MAYBE I should get something a bit more modern....
God Bless Workcover [}:)]

Booster
18-06-2009, 09:01 AM
I'll second ozzy1100 for the most part....,most rod problems i have seen stem from oil supply probs..,
but you can get a much higher hp reliably from a rod in a turbo bike than NA, essentially there is no big change of direction pull with a turbo as there is much more exhaust back pressure,
think about the pressure that would be required to bend a rod in compression, lots of other things will bail first... but tension is another thing and what turbo to some degree avoids .
been pushing 300hp on std gsxr rods for a while now, in several motors between Mick and myself , broken gudgeon pins , hammered bearings , but the rod itself is sound.

ozzy1100
18-06-2009, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

I'll second ozzy1100 for the most part....,most rod problems i have seen stem from oil supply probs..,
but you can get a much higher hp reliably from a rod in a turbo bike than NA, essentially there is no big change of direction pull with a turbo as there is much more exhaust back pressure,
think about the pressure that would be required to bend a rod in compression, lots of other things will bail first... but tension is another thing and what turbo to some degree avoids .
been pushing 300hp on std gsxr rods for a while now, in several motors between Mick and myself , broken gudgeon pins , hammered bearings , but the rod itself is sound.

you have prob hit it better than i did in my drucken rant lol but really what i was tring 2 say lol
2 true about oil thu just a ? do u chanpher yr oil galerys on 2 bearing faces on yr mains and big ends on crank is it worth the efort
never done it but have heard it helps and is cheep ?