PDA

View Full Version : everything but spark

uncle pervy
06-06-2009, 05:00 PM
i've fitted a keyless ignition to my 94 speed triple and have hit a snag. lights work, engine cranks but wont fire, first place i looked was for spark and sadly its not there. i've spent days pouring over the wiring diagram stripping off all my taping to see everything and it all seems kosher. no spark tells me the coils arn't getting power. im lost any suggestions?

Deano
06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
your coils should have power when the ignition is in the 'on' position check that first. also when you crank there should be 1 terminal giving constant power and the other should 'flash' to spark the coil.

some of the later gixxers and kwakas have a resistor in the ignition barrel so if you remove the key then you need to add a resistor in the circuit otherwise the ignitor box will not see the smaller voltage and you can't start the bike cause the ignitor box thinks the bike has been stolen as the ignition barrel has been removed and you have efectively hot wired the bike.

worth checking. trumpy's will probably be different again cause they are pommy and fuck knows how they do it.

uncle pervy
06-06-2009, 05:28 PM
its not the ignitor box like you said cause i started it before i did the keyless ignition, admitedlly i hot wired it that time as the whole front end was off. i'll check the coils but im sure their not getting power
brb

uncle pervy
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
i connected my test light to the red and black/yellow wires leading to the ignitor (thats right isn't it?) and it looks like im not getting power to the box which would explain no power at the coils

uncle pervy
06-06-2009, 06:22 PM
well i got power to the ignitor now, seems i missed a wire from the ignition to the box and now i've drained the batt. a quick charge and lets see what happens next (this is what happens when you let boilermakers play with electrickery)

uncle pervy
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM
YAY!!. BIKE RUNS. Starts, stops kill switch works, wont start in gear, lights work. Everything.
You may all now line up and kiss me on the cock and tell me how good i am.

timbo
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Man your the best

uncle pervy
07-06-2009, 03:14 PM
maybe not, just shorted something out and think i fritzed the ignition unit :(

uncle pervy
08-06-2009, 10:00 AM
<- <- dickhead
pride goeth before the fall
all fixed now (just if your interested) seems i shorted out one of the wires on the board of the ignition, upon inspection i could see which one so it was a simple matter of soldering on a jumper wire to replace the burnt out one. (thanks ben, credits yours)