PDA

View Full Version : A 650 that is cheap and will crack 100mph

chopaweeza
05-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Mmmmm . Got a taste for the salt and have been looking at the classes & records for the DLRA(Dry Lake Racing Association) . Been talking with several people about knocking up a home built with a frame by me and a 650 bike engine powering it . Now , was/am seriously looking at a Kawasaki W1/W2(made from 66-75) Weeza as I know these pretty damn well but getting a decent motor is difficult so here's my dilemma ...... With a budget of only a few grand all up suggestions on a donor or crashed bike type of 650cc to build a long frame around for salt racing that will crack and hold an average speed of 100MPH .

Thoughts and ideas thanks .....

Tony OW31
05-06-2009, 05:16 PM
What are the rules? if it has to be a twin an SV650 will easily do that, or any 600 four cylinder japper, or does it have to be pre a certain year?

Lewis Moto
05-06-2009, 05:38 PM
If it has to be single. What about a DR650?
But what Pre years and engine configuration are required to meet the rules?

Tony OW31
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by Aido

If it has to be single. What about a DR650?
But what Pre years and engine configuration are required to meet the rules?

the kwak he's talking about is a twin, so you can have at least 2 cylinders.

Hagarr
05-06-2009, 09:10 PM
XS650 are pretty bulletproof.

Some versions were taken out to 1000cc and raced in Motorcross Sidecar Outfits like the Norton Wasp (Actually competed against the wasp Nortons if I Remember)so must be pretty tough!

Booster
05-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Regs are based around
capacity class,
pushrod or not,
blown or na ,
gasoline or poweradding fuels
production or modified (production can be modified internaly )
fairing ,naked or streamliner
vintage or not
Lots of uncontested classes there
650 Cubic Centimeters (Approx. 39.6 Cubic Inches) Class Entry Name Rider Year Speed
P/P Stuart Lappin 2000 168.843
P/VF Peter Arundel 2001 102.459
P/*
M/VG Chris Fraser 2003 100.741
M/VF Geoff Spurway 2004 126.408
M/*
A/*
MPS/VF Peter Vanstitart 2001 109.157
MPS/*
APS/*
S/*
SC/*
SCS/*

RED ZX
06-06-2009, 12:50 AM
My vote is for the SV650.

RED ZX
06-06-2009, 12:51 AM
actually, screw it, get a GSXR600 or a ZX636, they would both be allowed yes?

Booster
06-06-2009, 08:13 AM
I would think that Stuart Lappins record was on a late sportsbike and a sv would be disadvantaged to the 4 cyls here.
other bike to consider, honda cx650 turbo MPS/bg or bf 650 (afterall it has to be blown ;) )

chopaweeza
06-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Just talking about it at the moment but it's a future idea that I'd like to make a reality sometime after Bonneville . Good to have outside input and opinions so thanks for those guys . Am looking at a cheap arsed version of Exben's $8k drag bike but for the salt using a Chopaweeza Customs frame built specifically for the job . Have no intention of making it road legal or being the pilot . I doubt that I'll have a problem getting someone to race it for me however .

Jockney Rebel
06-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Z650
thatll rack a ton and hold it

chopaweeza
06-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Haven't been to the auctions for a bit so anyone have an idea of what a suitable S/W or damaged repairable 636 or GSXR6 go for ? Thanks to the father in law I have a reliable source of info on what I need to incorporate into the frame to make it handle on the salt better . At this stage , looking at making a long(maybe 500mm longer) mono shock frame , 32mm DOM 1020 tubing , a low or underslung fuel tank to keep the mass low , decent width rear wheel , possibly fairinged by have to decide that later on , reliable and be able to crack 100mph over the length of the course on pump petrol . For simplicity/cost probably going to use a pretty stock engine but with a freer flowing exhaust and stockish carbs/injectors . As I am an old hand at building frames & have all the materials in the shed already making my own frame makes sense . Well , thats how I rationalise it - The reality is that using my own manufactured frame makes it into the "A" class which is for non-production or special construction frames and as there are no current record holders in the 650cc "A" class any speed is an instant record .

Cheap racing , highly addictive and a chance to have a bike I built with an Australian Class LSR .

Thats why I'm looking at doing it after going to Bonneville .

bluemk1
06-06-2009, 08:25 PM
why the hell wouldnt you want to pilot this rig yourself?

can i put my hand up for a spin? :D

chopaweeza
06-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Well mate . Two big reasons why I shouldn't pilot . First is I have shrapnel inflicted nerve damage to my right arm & leg that makes the fine adjustments needed difficult and the second is the ongoing problems I have from the head injuries I copped in 07' when the Kiwi tweaker ran me over & cracked my skull . Would love to race myself but I'll be content to build one and have someone else pilot it . After Bonneville BUBS will start scouting about for a usable donor and a crazy arsed pilot so i'll keep you in mind mate .

bluemk1
07-06-2009, 12:16 AM
dont i feel like a cunt for asking why your not riding [B)]

Jockney Rebel
07-06-2009, 01:12 AM
ere chop does having a death wish,scots heritage [munros a scots name lol] and no idea qualify me to runit lol

chopaweeza
07-06-2009, 02:20 AM
Still ride mate but probably shouldn't race . Just one of those things and no big deal . Was never my intent to be the rider and if a bloke like Terry can Salt race at speeds of over 130mph while in his 70's then if someone is up to it then why the hell not. So , maybe Jim you need to age abit first to be competetive eh ? But , it's a cheap way to race with some of the top record breaking bikes like Boosters being competitive for less than $15k in the top classes . Nothing quite impresses like having an LSR on your wall . Something to aim for and work towards but I know that it's a steep learning curve before being competetive . While I'm not in Booster or Terry's league I still would like to have a go at it none the less . As a custom bike builder I like a challenge and building a race frame is certainly something different & a good test of my skills . Will see what pans out but I would like to run a Team Cheapskate ASF bike next year at Lake Gairdner if possible . Bonneville this year will be something that will be a real eye opener and I'll be gleaning alot of ideas over there as well as seeing some great racing . All good stuff .

Neo Dutch
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
This one might do it.

http://www.chopperweb.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27439