PDA

View Full Version : Importing bikes

napalmjon
05-06-2009, 10:53 AM
G'day,
We are looking to escape our septic isle and come and live in the land of jolly japery and stuff and I would like to bring my bikes with me if possible so, if anyone in Oz has any idea if this is worth the hassle please let me know cos I have heard that it could be a bit tricky importing bikes (especially "slightly" modified)but there is always a way .
I have stuck a couple of pics in the other section so you can see what I would like to bring,not show winners but they are mine and make me smile !!
Take it easy.
Jon

latheboy
05-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi jon.... I dont know anything about the importing of bikes but someone will be along shortly.

DCRacing
05-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi Jon,
I have only imported from the states, but from what i have heard it is only really worth it if you have a modified bike that would not pass registration here in Aus.
I am sure there are others here that know a lot more than me.

KATO ZX7
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Gday Jon,
i cant help you either with import info, but as others have asked the same question, i know its going to be a cnut.

Docktor
05-06-2009, 10:13 PM
dear Sir, Thank you for your application to come to Australia, Unfortunately we are currently full ....... :).

Arr crap come on over anyway

As for Importing, I dunno where ya from but, ummmm if ya from pomland, didnt ummm yeah him bring his bikes to Adelaide ? . Shit , His name is............ Stu...

napalmjon
07-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Cheers for the reply chaps,yep I am from pomland and strangely enough we hope to live around Adelaide so maybe I can bump into the real slim shady when I get there.Trouble is I have a very friendly tester who "overlooks" a few things but keeps the bikes safe so I may have to "legalise" a few bits and bobs but it looks like it could be a goer.
Jon (in the English summer of warm wind,warm rain and warm beer)Doh

geesexar
07-06-2009, 08:02 AM
welcome aboard mate...an glad to see you're comin to gods country...alfiestorm..stu imported his bike from pommieland to adelaide without too much hassle...but his bike was cosmetically pretty much stock...having said that adelaide is probably the easiest place to get a streetfighter regoed...what sorta time frame you lookin at mate

Tony Nitrous
07-06-2009, 08:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by napalmjon

G'day,
We are looking to escape our septic isle and come and live in the land of jolly japery and stuff
Jon

Hi Jon,

I decided against it at the time.
Sorting out new Job, Home, Licence, Tax number, Medicare,
Bank, Doctor, etc etc and waiting months for them to turn up.
I thought i'd have enough on my plate without the hassle.
Turned mine into cash and bought new again out here.

Having said that, if its something your really attached to,
go for it. I sold my Kat and regretted it afterwards, wished
i'd bought that one. Wouldnt bother with anything stock or just
bolt-on's. Just do /get another better one.

How far are you into Migration ?

I know a couple of folk who were all geared up selling bikes and
houses to move out and have been knocked back in the last 6 months.
Migrations getting harder as unemployment rise's.
Direct family or top end skills would by-pass that.

Tony.J.

EFE 1230
07-06-2009, 08:18 AM
With all the Poms on here the bloke MUST be related to at least one of you...............

Docktor
07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Why ?. with all the places in oz do you blokes seem to pick adelaide ?. city of churches and pullin bongs at stoplights ?

Tony Nitrous
07-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Someone told me they have winters in Adelaide
so I crossed it off my list in the 1st 5 minutes.
Brisbane is too f@ckin' cold for me,
I should have gone further North.

MONO
07-06-2009, 10:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

Someone told me they have winters in Adelaide
so I crossed it off my list in the 1st 5 minutes.
Brisbane is too f@ckin' cold for me,
I should have gone further North.

roads might straighten up a bit to much for you tony

Docktor
08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
grew up in townsville i did, farn NQ. Its hot, damn hot , it can be pissin down with rain and still be 35 degrees. good fishin, some good riding, good everything, but havin said that it is a town....... aint got everything on hand like brisbane or melbourne, sydney etc... a top choice is queensland i reckon. brissy is nice, but toowoomba range gets a bit slippery, i falled off there.

napalmjon
09-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Hi all,
We are having our skills assessed at the moment so are waiting on that coming back before we submit for visas (my wife is a teacher) and when we had a tour around some of the places that we wanted to be she liked Adelaide the best,laid back life ,decent weather (try living in the North East of England on the coast where the summer temp rockets up to 15c and the wind sometimes drops to a withering blast off the sea).
Like baby bear nearly said "Cairns was too hot ,Melbourne too much like home but Adelaide was just right".Another reason that we want to be in Adelaide is to get away from people like us and we thought they were all in Perth.I do have an Uncle in Adelaide but I don't think he will be on this site cos he rides H#r@e*s (sorry for the language).We were offered jobs and housing in Karratha but decided against that and we are hoping to get jobs lined up near Adelaide before we set off out to you , that may be a bit difficult but its how we want to do it.
Strangely enough now that I am getting messages saying its gonna be hard to import and register that makes it even more attractive.
Why do we build bikes that are too powerful to handle properly and take all the designs from a Japanese factory off after years of research to put other stuff on them ??????? Cos its not easy but its bloody good fun.
Keep smiling,
Jon

scotty
09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by napalmjon

I don't think he will be on this site cos he rides H#r@e*s (sorry for the language).
Jon

Hi Jon,
Ya better watch ya language round here, there's a lot of christian fuckers around, the fuck head's.
BTW adelaide is fucked mate, Go north...

EFE 1230
09-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Have a look here; http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/info_bull_06_motorcycles.pdf

These are the rego requirements for SA (Adelaide), I doubt you will have any hassles getting the bikes rego'ed.

davio
09-06-2009, 07:54 PM
what u will have trouble with is compliance plates,, i was told about 4 yrs ago admittedly ,the bike must be professionally crated and have a list of forms as long as ur arm to go with it , if i was u id begin an email convo with S.A. or QLD motor reg. and ask them ,as theyre the cunts(oohh did i say cunts,, i meant fuckwits) that will have the final say. good news is in pricktoria we only have to pay our reg when its due , no goin over the pits or roadworthy, and we have the best roads and we are much prettier and our dope makes ur penis bigger

EFE 1230
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
In SA if your bike is a personal (approved) import it does not need a compliance plate, only has to meet Transport SA requirements i.e. roadworthy.

15-07-2009, 10:23 PM
G'Day Napalmjon, I have just moved back to Adelaide after spending the last 2 years in the N.E of England (Hartlepool) and have brought my bike home with me. It is not easy and to be honest, not sure it was worth it. I wanted to bring it home for several reasons, 1...financial reason, I think I still made a saving...just. 2....It kept me sane when I was home sick etc, etc and I rode through Europe on it, so I just like it and wanted to keep it. So if you are considering it make sure you have all your paper work in order, it will be checked every step of the way....and questioned. Give yourself plenty of time to get the paperwork in, they are a bit slow at this end. As far as the bike goes, try to get any free or cheap standard stuff back on the bike in the UK and put your stuff back on after the inspection. I could write a book, if you need more info, email me. Good luck with the move, maybe we can go for a ride when you get here.

STELF
17-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Welcome jon:) Good luck.............

sharky
17-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Wife shipped her bike out here. As long as you have owned it for a certain number of years (not sure how many) it can be a personnal import.
In Vic bikes need to pass Aussie compliance..basically a very strict, to the letter, Uk MOT test.
As has been said above unless its summat really special to you don't bother.
It's a lot cheaper to sell it in he uk...even at a lower price...You have to consider shipping, compliance test, roadworthy test......

napalmjon
28-07-2009, 12:02 AM
Loads of advice and views etc,nice one dudes.Glad to hear you got out of this hole 600K1,the steel industry on Teesside is doomed,the chemical industry (where I work/attend) is bolloxed ,unemployment is reaching new highs etc etc (proper whingeing pom eh ?) but we are not the only coountry in the world where this is going on.
I think I may struggle in putting standard stuff back on the bikes as that would involve loads of chopping and welding (see importing bikes post in my ride section ).If it took loads of time in getting them legalish in Oz that wouldn't be a problem as I would have to get another road legal bike whilst I was getting the others sorted (my wife loves the idea of me getting even more toys !!)
Sent off for Visas and can't wait to get out and about with some of you loonies !
Happy days lad

alfiestorm
28-07-2009, 06:12 AM
When I took my bike to Adelaide I had to send 50 dollars for written permission to bring the bike to oz, you will have to include sales brochures for the standard bike, there is a form you have to fill in as well cant remember what it is now nothing major though and proof of ownership and how long you have owned it, I sent a copy of the uk registration ducument signed by a solicitor to say it is a copy or the original. That process took 8 weeks, Once you got your permit back from oz to import your bike the permit has to accompany the bike if not the bike is sent back at your cost.
Import duty well according to all the legislation in SA I did not have to pay any import duty because I have owned the bike for a long time since 1993 and the age of the bike.

What they dont tell you is that you will pay GST on the present aussie market value of the bike so be prepared for that.

Getting it on the road was piss easy but again expensive.
First thing to do is phone regency and book the bike in for what is basically an mot then go to the local licensing office and get you self a day pass that will allow you to ride the bike to the testing station with out a number plate, they check brakes this is done as you ride in the hanger you are told to dab the back brake and then the front so they can see the back twitch and the front dive.
Then they check your lights horn and then the brake lines to make sure they have the yellow aussie compliance tag on them so if you aint got any braided lines with the yellow aussie approval tags on them get them or it wont pass. They check the general condition of the bike so if it all neat and tidy no probs

The two guys in there that test the bikes ride bikes one has a gixxer 600 and the other I think has off road bikes, if they are still there I cant see you having any problems.

Once you got your road worthy certificate you then have to book the bike in to have an identity check but prior to this you will be given and extra set of numbers to stamp into the frame just before the original number make sure this is done or the bike will not pass.
Think I got the extra numbers bit wrong I think you will be sent these when you book the bike in for the roadworthy and have to have them stamped in for the roadworthy test. I re-stamped mine myself on the top rail of the frame (gsxr slingshot)with the new numbers in front as close to the headstock as I could but before the weld

Then you will have to go back to regency this time you can just go there and get your bike registered. Fill in a form show your road worthy ticket and bike identity pass, They will give you a registration plate and however much rego you want 3 months up to a year (tax disc) it includes basic insurance incase you hit someone else and thats it.

Think thats it

Depending on what bike it is allow yourself about a thousand Aussie dollars give or take a few

Then I came back to england with my bike 9 months later oz wasnt for me and the family but I met some good people from this site in Adelaide.

Bit more info if you are thinking of having your household effects shipped over then do so, furniture is a bit on the fuck thats expensive side and not only that if you get a 20ft container your bike can be put in in as well save on a seperate shipping cost for the bike and they put the bike in a crate as well. Shipping company I used is called doree bonner for info

Alf

napalmjon
28-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Very comprehensive reply Alf,bit of extra advice thrown in as well ,cheers fella. Are you straightlining in the UK at the moment ?.I am planning ongoing to Elvington for the top speed day and wheelie competition on August 15 and 16 so if you are around I'll put some tins in the cooler for you.
I would like to bring out my GSXR750,GSX750 and project CBR 600 but I might need a bigger container and to be honest the CBR looks like a pile of scrap (probably cos it is)but hell,it fulfills the requirements for a project.How many times have I looked at a bike and thought that has potential and then sat in the garage with it,drank too much,lost bits of fingers and burnt my baldy bits with weld spatter (should have worn trousers then) ,bit like a few on here I suppose.
Keep smiling.