PDA

View Full Version : Amateur writer

scampy
04-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey folks, didn't know where else to post this so I'll post it in here.

I'm an amateur writer looking to get some work published and to get my name out there in the field, so to speak. I guess the best word for it is 'freelance' - it doesn't really mean anything, so it suits down to the ground.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is write up some magazine-style articles about bike projects, completed and in progress, and send them off to some of the bike mags around the place - Streetfighters in the UK tops the list, of course, but there are always others.

If anyone's interested in helping me out, all I'd need is some info and pics about your streetfighter project. Or projects, if you're one of those people who doesn't know when to stop. My only ask is that if your bike has already been written up in a magazine or similar, don't submit the info & pics to me. Not because I don't want to double dip or anything, but because mags would generally turn down articles about bikes that have already been featured.

Easiest way to contact me is to send an email to timdunnell@hotmail.com. I apologise in advance if I don't reply, this is not the only freelance writing project I'm working on and I tend to get forgetful at times.

Cheers folks.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not looking for magazines to pay me and would turn it down even if it were offered. For the moment this is all about getting my name out there and hopefully picking up some tips on how to break into the scene. Unfortunately this means I can't offer you any money to write up your project, so please don't ask.

bluemk1
04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
have you tried contacting rapid? as far as i can tell jeff the editor pops in here now and again.
maybe they could feature some of your articles?

scampy
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I had no idea the Rapid editor looked at this forum, but then it makes sense that he would.

I haven't actually written anything yet mate but as soon as I do I'll take your advice and try to get in touch with Rapid.

Unless of course Jeff reads this and wants to contact me first ... *wink*

bluemk1
05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
not only jeff but pommie is also on here and he is a contributor/test rider of rapid so maybe have a yarn with him about how to break into the field.
actually come to think of it pommie is probably a better bet as i havent seen jeff on here in a while.

Cruisecontrol
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Gee, I wonder why...

bluemk1
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

Gee, I wonder why...

did i miss something? :D

pommie
06-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I think I may have missed something as well.

Jeff the editor is flat out most of the time, but I may be able to help.
I suggest if you have work that you think is suitable submit it. Keep the story’s fun and to the point – if you’re a competent photographer you will improve you’re chances as you can submit the complete package. One more thing, don’t be restricted by location – the worlds a big place. When you send something just ask for the magazines going rate of pay.

Good look
Pommie

bluemk1
06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
and there you have it from the man himself

i knew that wouldnt take long

Gix11
24-06-2009, 01:43 PM
I may have one for you to go in Streetfighters Mag. Send me an email.