PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice Needed for a Novice

WarHound
31-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Some bastard knocked my bike over in a car park and buggered off. OK I am over that. They cracked the side cover on the engine. Got another one so I am over that too .. 8)
Here's the problem, one of the bolts broke off inside and broke the bolt housing across the top so I wont be able to tighten a bolt in there anymore. What I am looking for is some advise on how to fix this. Will a new Gasket and some gasket goo fix it along with just doing up the other bolts nice and tight or am I going to have to do or get some kind of repair done? GSX750F Motor (Left side oil cover)

Thanks

BANDITROD
31-05-2009, 08:32 PM
you could try a new gasket and some goo but i wouldnt trust it too much ...can you maybe drill and tap a new hole near the damaged area

kevkatana
31-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Liquid metal or tig weld the old hole and drill and tap a new thread.

WarHound
31-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I cant tig weld so Quicksteel it is (at least thats the one i could find on the net that seems to fit the description the best 8). Thanks, will give it a go 8)

kevkatana
31-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I found it. It's called J-B Weld. Got it from Bursons. I was told it was the replacement for Liquid Metal. Great stuff. I repaired the lower cases on my Bandit motor about 6 years ago. Still there. Can drill and tap it.

Docktor
31-05-2009, 10:27 PM
yep, I use the shit for everything, i have filled a hole in a rocker cover before as well, works tops, let it set for at least 24 hours tho. coat ya bolt with vaseline and build the broken bit with jb weld , let it dry and unscrew ya bolt = instant thread.

Mishdog20
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Do any of you blokes use Q-bond, for fairings or anything plasticky. I tried plastic welding, which failed really easily. The ole q-bond is great, they reckon it can be used to bond, plastic, wood, metal and anything else. The stuff sets instantly, which is great too. It has photos on the box of a bloke who fixed a hole in the side of his water pump with it. Thats another product you could try too mate.

WarHound
02-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Burnsons ? Where is that, never heard of it before ?

timbo
02-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Burnsons are Repcos main competition so try them

Docktor
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
auto pro keep it too

Hillsy
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
They're all over the place

http://www.burson.com.au/allstores/Storehtm/store_search.htm#Queensland

WarHound
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Any thoughts on JB Weld as opposed to Quick Steel ? one any better than the other before I give this a whirl ?

Docktor
02-06-2009, 02:10 PM
all the same shit mate

Jay_G
03-06-2009, 07:42 PM
i tried using some devcon liquid steel for thread repair for an engine cover, it held for a while but cracked out.

i am going to do it again with the same stuff but this time i am going to put a helicoil in it to create a decent thread.

WarHound
05-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I used Quick steel and stag gasket joiner and she seems to be holding ok. If it last until I can get the bucks together for a tig weld then I will be happy 8)

Pommy Chopper
13-06-2009, 08:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by WarHound

I used Quick steel and stag gasket joiner and she seems to be holding ok. If it last until I can get the bucks together for a tig weld then I will be happy 8)

Do i need to state the absolutely raving blatently obvious mark?

Fish
14-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes Shaun you do.

Pommy Chopper
15-06-2009, 08:56 PM
TIG welding?? Read my ad for a massive clue.............

WarHound
17-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I got that 8) Like I said she is patched up until I get some $$ together. Might look at that swing arm spacer you were talking about too. One last bit of advise.
Since the bike was knocked over I have been having some starting hassles. When I go to start it its almost like the battery goes flat, then it starts to pick up and after a while kicks over ... then the dash and lights come back on full. I whacked a multi-meter on the thing and it reads 13 - 14 volts, starting it it quickly drops down to as low as 7 volts before it kicks over and then as soon as its running its back to the 13-14 volts. A couple of times it has backfired when starting too but not always. I was thinking the stater might have been jarred when it was knocked down or some wiring but it does seem to turn over just fine, more the bike is dropping power as I try and start it ...

Mishdog20
17-06-2009, 04:29 PM
The battery normally drops a shitload of power while the starter is depressed though. When the bike is running, is the voltage going into the batt maintaing a steady 13-14 volts while running? also it might be worth throwing the multi over the wires coming from the stater, before it goes into the regulator, make sure they all read roughly the same volts / amps, i dunno. My R6 had mega stater, and reulator issues. The three wires running from the reg were meant to have about 20 volts each, one of them had 2 volts, not real great. burnt out the stater and regulator, top stuff. Hope ya find the prob.

WarHound
18-06-2009, 08:58 AM
I found the hassle. This morning I pressed the starter and the bike died. I started looking through the wiring and I had soldered in an extension for the negative battery lead because it was not long enough when I moved the battery. It was all nicely wrapped in black tape but the solder had broken inside. must have happened when the bike got knocked over. Never even thought of it until this morning. Anyways seems to be all good now. Bloody things that break when someone backs into your bike. Told the boss he should have camera's in the carpark then I would know who to throttle. 8)