PDA

View Full Version : Painting Aluminium question

Gix11
29-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Ok all you paint lads, what the best thing to colour aluminium with. I have bare aluminium brackets (L shaped extrusion) which will be oil cooler mounts so they are in for some head on bug and stone punishment. How am I going to keep them black the longet? I was going to go for a satin black finish. Your advice is much appreciated!

TurboKat
29-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Git the bits sand/grit blasted then git 'em powdercoated straight over the raw ally, you'll never shift it & it's nigh impossible to chip. Just wipes clean too, only downside is the surface finish isn't perfectly smooth - a bit orange peely.

Kamakazebusa
29-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I'd have to agree. there in a high damage zone, meaning there gonna get hit with rocks and shit. Anodizing is probably my prefered method but powder coating would be second.

KRASH
29-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I powder coated my bottom triple clamp and its stood up a fair few stone hits and still looks pretty fresh, I think anodizing looks 2nd hand pretty quick when it gets knocked around by bloody stones but saying that I just sent my K5 front leg outers to be anodized black...So I think a bit of protection will be needed on them straight up.

EXBEN
29-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Yep Powdercoat them just like Turbokat said & they'll be sweet.

Gix11
29-10-2006, 10:33 PM
Cheers guys. Powdercoat seems to be the winner. Can Shayne or any local guys on the Coast recommend a decent powdercoater? Not the bloke that messed your's up Shayne, he doesn't sound crash hot.....

Just had a scout. Looks like I'll give Bundall-Nerang Powder Coating & Sandblasting a go. What was the name of the one you had Shayne? Was it Nerang Powder Coating?