23-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey I was just wondering if anyone new much about plastic welding,

cheers

gibbo
23-05-2009, 09:32 PM
What do you need to know?

Specter
24-05-2009, 11:51 AM
just how it works mainly, want to clean up a few cracks...
what sort of tools you need... so forth

RC36
24-05-2009, 04:34 PM
1st thing you need to do is get yourself some "Plastex" from http://plastex.net/.

Best stuff I have found so far.

Tools needed are metal file's, sandpaper, tape and a few beers.

Clean up the area of the crack so its free of paint for a good inch on each side of the crack. File the sides of the cracked line so it has a V groove when it is taped back together.

You can do only one side like that and will give a good hold but it you want it super stong then you can do both sides like that.

Then the fun part.. you then start to fill the groove with the Plastex. Sit back a have a few beers and wait for it to set.

Its more about the prep and making sure you have a good clean surface for it to glue too..

Docktor
24-05-2009, 05:23 PM
plastex is the same shit as nail resin.they charge a ridiculous amount of $$ for it. i have about 30 kilo of the stuff sitting here, let me know if u need some. i have the catalyst as well.

Grab a dremel and a pointy dremel bit and grind it out into a nice V shape like rc says. if its a nasty crack, just grind straight thru and use paper tape across the back and start filling from the front

the neatest way is a paintbrush dipped in the catalyst and then dipped in the acrylic powder and work it that way

Large
24-05-2009, 05:47 PM
So no one uses a soldering iron and melted plastic?

Docktor
24-05-2009, 06:20 PM
not many large , not many .

gibbo
24-05-2009, 07:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

plastex is the same shit as nail resin.they charge a ridiculous amount of $$ for it. i have about 30 kilo of the stuff sitting here, let me know if u need some. i have the catalyst as well.

Grab a dremel and a pointy dremel bit and grind it out into a nice V shape like rc says. if its a nasty crack, just grind straight thru and use paper tape across the back and start filling from the front

the neatest way is a paintbrush dipped in the catalyst and then dipped in the acrylic powder and work it that way

Hey Doc, I'd like some of that mate, the plastex is mighty expensive as you say, have been trying to find another source. Let me know how much you want for some mate.
Large, the soldering iron doesn't seem to generate enough heat, we use a hot air gun that heats to 6 or 700 degrees, you also need to ensure you are using the correct filler rod. Abs to abs, pc to pc etc.

Docktor
24-05-2009, 07:16 PM
I am more than happy to throw you some gibbo, your name has been comin up lately around here. I will give you a call tomorrow and catch up. I can sort u out with a coupla kilo if need be....

we gotta talk, wanna try do some deals with ya actually.

gibbo
24-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Kilos[?] deals[:0] I'm not into that sorta stuff mate[8)] I only look like I use lotsa drugs[xx(]

Docktor
24-05-2009, 09:24 PM
oh, yeah, im not into that either.... is this microphone on ??...... Give ya a call morrow. one of us will be a happy man

Large
24-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Doc,

Is the bulk powder you've got just powdered ABS? And is the solvent stuff the same as modelling glue?

BANDITROD
24-05-2009, 10:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

So no one uses a soldering iron and melted plastic?
yep i do and it works fine

RC36
24-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Docktor, where you get the powder from? Or any chance of buying some off you at all?

Docktor
24-05-2009, 11:33 PM
hey Large, its powdered acrylic resin. i think the catalyst is methacrylate. I will check in the shed tomorrow. RC can porobably help u out, will have to check on posting the liquid tho.

RC36
25-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Docktor.... give me a pm when you find out. :)
If you cant post the liquid I can have a look around here and see if i can get some here...

Specter
25-05-2009, 06:27 PM
thanks.. ill see how I go...