PDA

View Full Version : radiator overflow

WATEVR
27-10-2006, 10:33 PM
on the zxr the rad over flow hangs off the side and looks plan shite.question1 do you need to have one? can i use a resivour(cant spell it!) that i was given from an rgv or kr1s that locates in the tail section?

EXBEN
27-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes you do need one. The reason is to keep the cooling system full of coolant at all times. As the engine heats up the coolant expands into the overflow bottle,then as it cools the radiator sucks back in what it needs to keep the system topped up. Air in the radiator = inefficent cooling = overheating = Very bad things.:(
Also if you top the radiator up when the engine's cold, water will spew out the hose (where the resrevior should be) when the engine heats up & all over the ground where your tyres are = Very bad things.:(
You can use an overflow bottle off anything as long as it has enough capacity for the cooling system's needs.
Usually 750mls - 1L is about standard but you can get away with about 500-600mls.

28-10-2006, 12:45 AM
sounds like a water cooled 2 stroke,i had a bowser boy tell me to fill the radiator via the overflow bottle once,i think he was going for a promotion.

fimpBIKES
28-10-2006, 09:45 AM
check out ebay

there are cheap machined alloy ones there that look the goods

WATEVR
29-10-2006, 02:18 PM
cheers guys thanks for the tips