PDA

View Full Version : Help needed Re :polishing rims

kartras
19-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Guys,

I've finally decided/got round to beginning to modifying my Gsxr-Wp 750.

Just wondering if any one can give me advice or pointers in the right directions on polishing my rims. I wanna get the spokes/hub painted and the rim polished.Which should I do first polish ri, or paint spokes? any ideas?

Cheers guys

Ps anyone got a solo seat cowl for a 93 gsxr wp 750?;)

scotty mac
19-05-2009, 01:39 PM
quote:

i've got a seat base off a 92w with no foam if ya interested.

Fight_fan
19-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Stip the rim, tape it up, paint it, remove tape then clear coat the whole thing! It makes like a shit load easier when u go to clean them nxt time!

Oh n Welcome to the madness mate! Might wanna stick up n into in the noob section b4 1 of the oldies gets cranky at ya 4 not following protocol too! ;)

Gix11
19-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Try this mate: http://www.streetfighters.com.au/ASF_HT_polish.asp

JackTar
19-05-2009, 05:46 PM
quote:Originally posted by kartras

and the rim polished.

Speak to Banditrod about getting your rim polished, he loves nothing more than a good old fashioned rim polishing.

WATEVR
19-05-2009, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

and the rim polished.

Speak to Banditrod about getting your rim polished, he loves nothing more than a good old fashioned rim polishing.

with special green pin striping

kartras
20-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Cheers guys,
Thanx for the info. Be gentle with me and my lack of regard for protocol(never really was one for rules and establishment)Sorry!!!
so should i polish the rim before painting the spokes or after painting the rims. you guys know the look im after.

Cheers 4now

ozkat
20-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Always polish first then mask up and spray.

kartras
20-05-2009, 09:49 AM
thats what im lookin for...cheers ozkat

MONO
20-05-2009, 11:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by ozkat

Yep thats rods advice aswell

Gix11
20-05-2009, 12:33 PM

But don't strip the spokes if you want them painted. Only strip the rim (or whatever you want polished). The paint will not take well if you strip the spokes and then paint them. This is my experience anyway.

kartras
20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Ahh you guys know your stuff...thanx for the advice

336LJ
22-05-2009, 05:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

But don't strip the spokes if you want them painted. Only strip the rim (or whatever you want polished). The paint will not take well if you strip the spokes and then paint them. This is my experience anyway.

I'm about to do this on my zxr250 my mate wants to buy off me. its got the gaids purple rims with green flaking off underneath it.
Would it be better just to rub them back a bit and paint over the paint thats on there? we were gonna sand blast the shit out of them, polish the outer lip on the rim then black the spokes.
Whats happened when you dunnit? [:0]

Gix11
22-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, it did take, but it chipped to buggery.
I stripped the rear wheel with paint stripper all over and realised what a shit of a job it was to get all the crap off properly. After doing this I found out that the guy that was going to polish the edges said I didn't need to do it for him to polish it and so I took the front wheel down to him without doing anything, still in the original paint. I got both wheels back from him with polished rims/edges and took them both to my painter mate. Painter mate said "why did you strip the back wheel?" One story later and he warned me the paint might not stick well to it. Sure enough, 3 months later the front wheel was fine and the rear spokes had chipped to fuck. Big flakes had come off.

You on the other hand seem to be sandblasting it back to raw metal and preping it properly so this should not be a problem. One of the paint pros like Gibbo could tell you what to do in your scenario. Powder coating would be a non chip alternative....

kartras
22-05-2009, 05:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gix11

Don't get me wrong, it did take, but it chipped to buggery.
I stripped the rear wheel with paint stripper all over and realised what a shit of a job it was to get all the crap off properly. After doing this I found out that the guy that was going to polish the edges said I didn't need to do it for him to polish it and so I took the front wheel down to him without doing anything, still in the original paint. I got both wheels back from him with polished rims/edges and took them both to my painter mate. Painter mate said "why did you strip the back wheel?" One story later and he warned me the paint might not stick well to it. Sure enough, 3 months later the front wheel was fine and the rear spokes had chipped to fuck. Big flakes had come off.

You on the other hand seem to be sandblasting it back to raw metal and preping it properly so this should not be a problem. One of the paint pros like Gibbo could tell you what to do in your scenario. Powder coating would be a non chip alternative....

But can you only powder coat the spokes and leave the rims polished? does not the whole part have to be powdercoated??

sag78
04-09-2009, 11:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by scotty mac

quote:

i've got a seat base off a 92w with no foam if ya interested.

hey scotty mac do you still have that 92 seat base? or does any one else have a 92 base?

BANDITROD
05-09-2009, 08:22 AM
if you strip it right back make sure you etch prime it 336lj

BANDITROD
05-09-2009, 08:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

and the rim polished.

you love it

DiscoDan
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
What colour are your wheels, my GSXR wheels are polished rims with back painted spokes but I need all white wheels for this project to replicate the original paint job. I was going to powdercoat them but maybe a swap would be better for everyone

OZ750L
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I had the wheels on my 90 model GSXR750 powdercoated 10 years ago and they are still in great nick. With powdercoating, talk to the powdercoater first and tell them what you want to do. Usually they will blast the wheel before powdercoating and you need to tape up EVERYWHERE you don't want them to blast or powdercoat with a double coat of a heat resistant tape. Doesn't hurt to get them to let you check over the rim before they coat it and after it comes out of the oven. Keep a sharp eye out for grit in the coat and get them to fix it there and then. I finished mine with swirl remover then waxed them before putting the tyres and discs back on. They are still going strong. I was advised at the time not to rub back the powdercoat to polish the rim edges as it breaks the seal on the edge of the powdercoat and can cause it to lift. But, that's just what I was told.