PDA

View Full Version : cleaning calipers

pt
23-05-2006, 10:23 PM
ok so the front fork seal popped and blew oil all over the front right caliper on my bike. i know i should check the seals in the caliper and change the pads cause they will probably have absorbed some oil, but is there anything i cna use to clean the oil off just the outside and the pads for the time being? at the moment i'm stumped for ideas and i'm just going to wipe it off with a rag and look at doing the same thing to the pads....

23-05-2006, 11:10 PM
only 1 product PT... brake caliper cleaner.I use Nulon Brakeclean.its a pressure pack that costs a few bucks but does wonders.Dont use anything but brake caliper cleaner or your pads will go soggy and your seals will burst and your discs will grease up.

Deano
24-05-2006, 07:53 AM
i am with davo. i use CRC Brakcleen (it is what we sell) but all the brands are pretty good. i use it for all sorts of shit not just brakes. anywhere you need a solvent but don't want to leave a residue

pt
24-05-2006, 07:47 PM
so i can just spray it on and wipe it off? do i need to totally pull down the caliper or can i just take the pads out and spray it all over the caliper?[:0]

24-05-2006, 10:16 PM
mate if its been sitting in oil for a while i'd replace the pads.no need to recondition the caliper unless its showin signs of losing fluid.removes brake dust,grease ,oil and other contaminents.no need to wipe off just let it air dry and repeat application, unless ya wanna use it straight away.remove ya bleed nipple rubbers 1st.avoid oversray on acrylic and enamel paint.other uses include springs,clutch plates,wheel cylinders,starter switches,electric motors,brake sealer removal,brake linings and drums

Dark Reign
25-04-2008, 08:57 PM
sorry to revive the dead but i am putting on braided lines and have cleaned the calipers on the outside with nulon brake clean. There is a bit of gunk inside the caliper from the old fluid.

Can i spray the same brake cleaner in the banjo bolt hole swish it around, pour out excess, and then let in dry out for 30 mins or so before fitting and bleeding the calipers?

Will it do any harm to the back of the seals or affect braking performance once fitted?

MONO
26-04-2008, 06:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Deano

i am with davo. i use CRC Brakcleen (it is what we sell) but all the brands are pretty good. i use it for all sorts of shit not just brakes. anywhere you need a solvent but don't want to leave a residue

you'll be fine it will evaporate befor you can say "singlesidedswingarmwithafugenbigturboplease"