PDA

View Full Version : Question to anyone in the reserves/army

zx12argh
14-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm thinking of joining the reserves. I've got a bit of spare time, looking for some new challenges and to be honest the extra cash wouldn't hurt.

So whats the good bad and the ugly? I'd appreciate the info. Cheers

latheboy
14-05-2009, 12:06 PM
The good.. tax free cash
The bad....Jacktar
The ugly...waking up next to The bad:D

Cruisecontrol
14-05-2009, 03:17 PM
As an ex-regular I have to say that the reserves are a complete waste of fucking time and money.

Hence the acronym: WOFTAM.

On the other hand if you are an overgrown boy scout with delusions of grandeur, go for it. If you don't want to do something you just don't do it. If you don't want to parade, then you don't go and nobody can make you either.

Never understood the reserves myself.

sharky
14-05-2009, 04:31 PM
WTF !!
I would have thought anyone who joined up be it regular or reserves deserve some respect...
There was plenty of 'our brave boys' etc on anzac day.....
And before anyone goes off about them 'not being real soldiers' we have the TA in the uk (territorial army) that most people scoffed at.....until the Falklands <s>farce</s> war kicked off and the TA guys were sent down there.

davio
14-05-2009, 05:09 PM
um cruise i think ull find it was those waste of space reserves that held the kokoda trail for 2 weeks before the regulars arrived , id say that makes em a bit worthwhile, i hate jap food

davio
14-05-2009, 05:11 PM
and cruise? do u ever say anything positive on this forum? fuckin cheer up a bit mate

zx12argh
14-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Dib dob dib muthafucker.

As always cruise your posts are high on hatem low on usefulness. I asked what life is like as a reservist not what your opinion of them was.

For the record my old man was a national serviceman who copped the same attitude from "regulars" like you and copped three m60 rounds in his back from American friendly fire while defending a medical evac for his trouble.

Before this degenerates into the BS tit for tat that gives you a half mongrel any chance of getting this question back on track?

Docktor
14-05-2009, 05:24 PM
dont see why ya shouldnt do it, I spent 10 in the air force and woulda joined but medical discharge screwed that, Its good money, its a few weekends a year, you get to shoot stuff. if they reckon ya can be a officer u can boss dudes around. In my personal opinion , I would join raaf reserves purely coz i dont like diggin and sleepin in fox holes or torn hootchies. The raaf always do it easier and comfier than the grunts... (army)

GRUNT = government recruit undergoing normality training.

sharky
14-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Go for it Pete...guess playing Skirmish put ideas in ya head ;)
Spoken to a 20 year vet this arvo (4 years reservist first).
He said go for it...ignore the knockers...
His words were "Some of the reserves are better soldiers than some of the regulars"
Reserves have been sent to the Solomons and East Timor lately.

Cruisecontrol
14-05-2009, 05:29 PM
My opinion is that of about 99% of the regular Army who know what is really going on. I don't know or care what the general public thinks of reservists and I have a mate in the reserves and think no more or less of him for it.

Who do you think trains and looks after the reserves? The real Army does.

ozkat
14-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Pete, i left the Regular Army over 15 years ago, there were alot of reserves joining up when i joined. I met mates for life, some were/are still reservists some are regular army. Sure you dont get the same level or intensity that the Reg Army blokes get, but you will learn heaps and i reckon have alot of fun along the way. What corp were you looking to join in the reserves?

_M_
14-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm seriously considering doing it myself, 24 and nothing better to do and you get alot of flexibility from the sounds of it.

STM77
14-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I left the regs not long ago, and quite a few guys I served with came from the reserves, and they had some great military skills and dedication. Those guys took it seriously, I think if you pay it off, you wouldn't get as much out of it. You do get some real wanna be heroes in the reserves but all in all most guys are pretty good. I know alot of guys who left full time, and are now reserves and enjoy it. They shoot regularly, and I believe generally do the "fun" stuff that gets lost when you become a reg. And of course its tax free. But really do your research, but then, by asking here you are.

JackTar
14-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Pete I can put you in touch with a few if you would like mate.

Ivan stop sending me nude pics if you have to send them do it to my alt email address so my missus doesn't see them. Took me three hours last time to convine her a dick really CAN be that small.

latheboy
15-05-2009, 07:31 AM
But i had zoomed all the way in for those shots Jack[V] Tell your misses she needs glasses....

Do it pete, i was going to join when i was younger but i found girls and drugs and that took over everything else....
I know some guys how are in it now and they love it (hehe) If you like your hearing dont join a Artillery unit...

They use to do demo days years ago and would race against the regs.. that was always good to watch

fimpBIKES
15-05-2009, 09:36 AM
if someone could pay me to do this i would be all over it

http://www.battlezoneplaylive.com.au/index.php

:D

zx12argh
15-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah thanks guys - I'm 99% certain I'm in for it. Everyone I've spoken to it has said good things so I don't see why not.

Thanks to all who called - I appreciate the info :D

So how long before I can get my merit badge in the grenade toss ;)[}:)]

uncle pervy
15-05-2009, 09:22 PM
well i started off in the reserves XLH (10th light horse armoured cav) then joined the regular army as a 12 mile sniper. and zx12 i gotta tell you the res. was a lot of fun. got to do shit that you just don't get to do in civvy street, and get paid for it. meet a beaut bunch of bloke and gals and got to get pissed with a whole new crew. Don't listen to cruise. that's not a tan he sports, he's so full of shit, it leaks out his ears and stains his shoulders. i'd say go for it, 1 day a week, 4 weeks a year ain't too bad for a man sized bit of boy scout fun

Ryan
17-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Mate, PM me if you wanna chat about it on the phone, but I've been reg for 6 years and i'm an instructor a Kapooka at the moment. Although reserves cop heaps of flak from the regs, its usually in good humour. I have worked with reserves both in Australia and overseas and the truth is that the job is what you make of it. If you work hard then you'll have a great time, if you join for a free ride then you'll get sick of it quickly and leave. I plan on hanging around as a reg for another 7-10 years, but when I get out i'll certainly stay on as a chocco.

Ryan

BOHEMION
17-05-2009, 07:23 PM
1st Cmdo Rgt are reservists, hope no one thinks there not "real' army.

Cruisecontrol
17-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Do they go out bush for months at a time, get posted all over the country, score 24 hour guard shifts several times a month and do everything they are told or they get charged and go to jail?

The 'real' Army does...

Large
17-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Redheads always get point duty...

nelpd96
18-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Like wise, I have been in for 14 years and currently an Instructor at Duntroon, I did a posting to 2 CER in 2002-2003 that was a very good experience. It was a combined unit so I had reserves working for me, they were all very dedicated, intellegent blokes. The thing that you have to remember is that the demographic will be different depending on Corp. I am RAEME so they guys tend to be a little older and more level headed than some of the Infantry guys.

Cheers
Paul

zx12argh
19-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Cheers guys - sent the app in today. The YOU interview isn't until mid july but I'm going to speak to a recruiter to see if there is anything I can do to speed it up a bit. Thanks for all the input guys, you made the decision easy.

latheboy
19-05-2009, 09:07 PM
At a party that i may or may not have been at there were a couple of guys who were REGS, they could NOT shoot for shit and i may have along with someone else here who also maynot have been at this party showed them how to do it..... Regs are not better than the reserves.... Its like saying my fully sick Hyandi excel is better than your choice as bro commodore....

It DOES NOT matter if your a reg or a "weekend cowboy", if you want to do it then do it.... you will only get out what you put in...

BANDITROD
19-05-2009, 09:10 PM
at said party didnt another member here show a certian someone how to shoot matches with a slug gun ...and then a 45-70

latheboy
19-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey i was catching up without cheating;):D.....

Try shooting a playing card on edge at 20 yards and you have to cut it all the way through .... That shows the boys who the men are

BANDITROD
19-05-2009, 09:30 PM
whats my weapon of choice

BANDITROD
19-05-2009, 09:31 PM
i have a 17hmr that would do that all day in the right hands that is

BANDITROD
19-05-2009, 09:32 PM
we need to have a rematch now you know that dont ya what are you doing in a few weeks ...lol

latheboy
19-05-2009, 09:40 PM
I off to fraser island tommorrow and ill be gone for a couple of weeks .... when i get back we should challage everyone to a shoot off...
Match sticks at 15 yards, playing cards at 20 and bottle caps at 25.....
Jen and i need to get back into climbing so we'll be heading up your way more often.

latheboy
19-05-2009, 09:41 PM
There's a few shooters here ... we could have a state V's state comp....

BANDITROD
20-05-2009, 06:57 AM
sounds like a plan mate

zx12argh
20-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Well I'd join in but I dont get my rifle for another 7 weeks or so. License is lodged get that in about 3-4 weeks then my PTA for another 4.
I've put money down on a Tikka T3 Lite .308 giddyup.

Cruisecontrol
20-05-2009, 02:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

At a party that i may or may not have been at there were a couple of guys who were REGS, they could NOT shoot for shit and i may have along with someone else here who also maynot have been at this party showed them how to do it..... Regs are not better than the reserves.... Its like saying my fully sick Hyandi excel is better than your choice as bro commodore....

It DOES NOT matter if your a reg or a "weekend cowboy", if you want to do it then do it.... you will only get out what you put in...

I will be the first to admit that a lot of regular soldiers cannot shoot, but this does not mean that reservists can.
Unless you are in a combat role you get to do a qualifying shoot once a year. That means spending about 5 minutes on a range, firing your rifle every 12 months. So whether you are a good shot or not, unless you are on a range in your own time, you are going to be a little rusty when it is your turn at the plate (our qualifying shoot was always after a 25km pack march, so fatigue was a bit of an issue).

So you are saying that an amateur sportsman that has a regular day job is as good as a professional athlete that trains every day just because they really like to play sport?

gixkat
20-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Well I hate to interupt this pissing contest fellas,but I have a nephew who is an instructor at Singleton and he reckons the whole army is turning into a bunch of girls, I hear they even have a card system in place now if a recruit feels his instructor is getting in his face too much! WTF. Try pulling the card out when the Taliban is in your face lol.
When it's all said and done though it's all good regular or reservist we need the fuckers.

sharky
20-05-2009, 06:44 PM
quote:So you are saying that an amateur sportsman that has a regular day job is as good as a professional athlete that trains every day just because they really like to play sport?
Well that would depend on how much of their day was spent training on a particular event....for example, how often does a regular soldier spend on the firing range in an average week ?

BOHEMION
20-05-2009, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by zx12argh

Well I'd join in but I dont get my rifle for another 7 weeks or so. License is lodged get that in about 3-4 weeks then my PTA for another 4.
I've put money down on a Tikka T3 Lite .308 giddyup.

Nice one mate. Let us know when you get your new one, Head out for a shoot

Cruisecontrol
20-05-2009, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

how often does a regular soldier spend on the firing range in an average week ?

quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

you get to do a qualifying shoot once a year. That means spending about 5 minutes on a range, firing your rifle every 12 months.

JackTar
20-05-2009, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by gixkat

I hear they even have a card system in place now if a recruit feels his instructor is getting in his face too much!

Pretty sure this is bullshit, I know the RAAF tried this for a while but it did not work for obvious reasons.

uncle pervy
20-05-2009, 09:41 PM
hey this shooting thingie, can i bring my rocket launcher. the cops took my guns and licence so thats all i got now. way more fun and you don't have to be that accurate :)

BANDITROD
20-05-2009, 10:32 PM

my spidey sense's are tingling ....yes i think NSW would win ...think about it ivan

JackTar
20-05-2009, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

my spidey sense's are tingling ....yes i think NSW would win ...think about it ivan

You are saying what I was thinking Rodney.

fimpBIKES
21-05-2009, 08:18 AM

you get to do a qualifying shoot once a year. That means spending about 5 minutes on a range, firing your rifle every 12 months.

you really are a knob

Ryan
22-05-2009, 09:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

quote:Originally posted by gixkat

I hear they even have a card system in place now if a recruit feels his instructor is getting in his face too much!

Pretty sure this is bullshit, I know the RAAF tried this for a while but it did not work for obvious reasons.

This is bullshit. I work there and there is no such thing.

As for the shooting debate, all soldiers do 2 shoots per year to maintain their currency. It is a simple grouping shoot at 100m. Combat soldiers will usually do more shooting, however this is dependant on what their main role is.

Eg. A cavalry soldier will do a small amount of rifle and pistol shooting and a lot of armoured vehicle work.

An infantryman will do a lot of rifle shooting.

A transport driver will conduct a qualifying shoot twice a year and rarely do more than that.

gixkat
22-05-2009, 08:45 PM
originally posted by Ryan
quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JackTar

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by gixkat

This is bullshit. I work there and there is no such thing.

As for the shooting debate, all soldiers do 2 shoots per year to maintain their currency. It is a simple grouping shoot at 100m. Combat soldiers will usually do more shooting, however this is dependant on what their main role is.

Eg. A cavalry soldier will do a small amount of rifle and pistol shooting and a lot of armoured vehicle work.

An infantryman will do a lot of rifle shooting.

A transport driver will conduct a qualifying shoot twice a year and rarely do more than that.
Hey Ryan if you work at Singleton then you will know my nephew, Tell Connie he is full of shit, and it is his shout next time he's on leave.

jakam04
23-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Cruise,

How long has it been since you were in?

These days in the ADF, they rarely go and shoot real bullets.... they spent big bickies on an electronic shooting range to save on ammunition costs. This system is what people use mainly (with a few exceptiong eg. training etc) for the yearly shooting test.

Jarrod

Docktor
23-05-2009, 08:35 AM
20 bullets per year per man perhaps.
After rookies , i reckon i saw a slr twice. and I was still in for a coupla years after the steyer came in and NEVER saw or held on.

Lucas
23-05-2009, 10:09 PM

You'se should come up this way.

We'll have a long range roo shoot-off, then a legging comp, I need to get some more roo in the freezer for the dog. I'm nearly out.

NakedTurboBusa
23-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Jesus!!!! A bit too much of 'my mate this and my mate that' in this thread!!! you will all feel a bit GHEY when you look back at this thread....

Our fine men, reserves or regs, have been falling for around 100yrs, trained or not, you dis-respectful cunts!! wake up!!

Pete

gixkat
24-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Which ones are disrespectful Pete ? I think you have over reacted a bit mate, the overall gist of the thread is positive and in favour of our armed forces, and your line about "my mate this and my mate that" just reinforces my point, we all have "mates" or family in the forces, and some of us are relatives of those that have fallen, I for one dont think it's ghey to discuss participation in the forces, but you helped keep this country free mate so you can take out of the thread whatever you like.
cheers, GK.