PDA

View Full Version : Oil choice

Gix11
24-10-2006, 11:39 PM
Ok, this is an old one, but I still can't put my finger on it. I only thought of this as I went out to get some oil to do a change. Is there any Oil Gurus out there that will tell me what the best top shelf synthetic oil actually is (for my application). I mean for street riding, getting hot in traffic and then been caned out in the sticks type riding. I know everyone has their preference but after years I still can't put my finger on what is best. Some are over priced shit and a lot are just average. It's going in an '89 model GSXR which used to recommend 10/40, but is that still the way to go after 80 odd thousand k?

alfiestorm
25-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Over here in the uk i Have been using Halfords own make semi synthetic 10/40 which comes in a handy 5 litre container.
Dont know what would be the same in Aus.

I steered away from what i call the designer name oils one because of cost Halfords would cost £20 for 5 litres and something like rock oil,Belray, Putoline etc would cost £30 upwards for only 4 litres.

I have been running my tuned gixxer on Halfords oil for fuggin years now with no ill effects at all infact I had the top off the engine to check valve clearences, cam lobes were fine no pitting or ridges, rockers all looked good.
I dont show the bike no mercy when i am out riding it and it has been up the drag strip a few times aswell and been through central london in all the shit traffic a lot of times

You probably remember Halfords as a car tarts and pedal bike place but they started to do service items and bits for motorcycles some years ago now. Thats when i decided to use their semi synthetic 10/40 motorcycle oil and it is rated the same as all the other designer label oils.

If there is anywhere like Halfords out there check out thier oil dept and if the motorcycle oil is rated the same as the designer oil give it a go it ain't gonna do any damage. :)

EXBEN
25-10-2006, 12:54 PM
I learnt a lesson with oil " Find a brand you like & stick to it" I always use Motul 5100 but one time I thought I'd try some Shell shit so put fresh oil in for a track day, chewed out not one but TWO rocker arms. Engine fixed,back to the trusty 5100. Now Im not saying it was the oil but it never happened before & it's never happened since. I've used Motul in all my bikes (turbo or not) with no probs.

chadams
25-10-2006, 01:04 PM
I've been using silkolene full syn. in all the bikes and never had any issues. I have tried a few others and find that you notice the difference in clutch feeling and gear shifting. The only one that I found to be as good or better is the motul.

I class oil as the most crital part of the motor, so many of us pour a lot of cash in to our bikes. I don't use shit tyres so why would I use shit oil...

dazz
25-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Used motul 5100 in every 4 stroke bike i have owned and reccomended it to every customer that we ever did a service on. To this day, regardless of riding styles and conditions,never had a problem.

25-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Motul 5100 or Penzoil GP for my bikes.I agree with Ben on the shit that Shell makes.Wouldnt even run that in a lawnmower.

Slingblade
25-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I asked my mechanic what he uses as i wanted to use the same when i did the minor services myself. He just pointed to the shiny Motul drum and said "dont use anything else".

Was good enough for me. Good to see others agree he is right.

pt
25-10-2006, 04:30 PM
yeah motul is all i've ever used in my limited experience. oil has the power to make of break(very badly) an engine:)

devo
25-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I use Castrol GPS 10w-50 in my GSXR750 race bike Gix,
A full synthetic oil will give you around 4 Degrees better temp
but in my opinion and after talking to a lot of guys who have been
racing and punishing GSXR's for years is that if you want to run a
full synthetic then go for Castrol R but if you want a good oil
use Castrol GPS.
Bear in mind though that you should once you start using a certain
weight oil then stick with it and don't go getting a different
weight and mixing it otherwise your asking for trouble.
The GSXR race bike I ride has since 1988 used nothing but castrol
mainly Castrol R Synthetic but since that is around $80.00 for four
litres and I dump the oil every 2 race meetings I have gone to the
Castrol GPS and the bike runs nice.
Besides that the Castrol stickers sre pretty.
And I agree Shell doesn't rate to highly with me either.
And as for Fuel Caltex Vortex is the only way to go ;)
Just bear in mind also if the bike shop uses that oil they will flog
you that oil because they get a good deal on it they can tell you
this and that but half the time the Mechanic wouldn't use it because
he knows he can get a better quality oil cheaper than you can.
And I am speeking from experience.
Hope this helps.

crazymofo
25-10-2006, 05:46 PM
silkolene (fuchs) 10/40 4t fully synthetic, its like $78 for 4lt, but is awesome, comes out still that cherry red color at 6000k's

i really thrash my bikes too, and never had a problem.

cheers.joe.

suxukifreak
28-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Interesting reading..........http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/

zrxmick
10-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Oleon Oils for this little black duck.
Oleon is one of my customers, so as things go, I use their service they use mine.

But all bullshyte aside, I used there 20W50 and later in its life 25/60 in my work van, it's now in semi retirement as a spare, it now has 420000 on the clock of the worst stop start courier driving.
In the bikes I use Oleon Semi 10W40.

Shane is a top bloke and has a huge passion for Motorcycling, and puts his money where his mouth is, backing chook chasing teams, a superbike team and a drag team.

www.oleonoils.com