PDA

View Full Version : CB 900 Hornet

Toombsy63
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
thinking of buying an 05 hornet 900.
if anyone has any thoughts on these bikes or knows them inside out and can give me some info please go ahead.
i reckon its worth about 6k tops.
thanks toombsy

Weaselman
05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
if they are anything like the 6 they are ace bikes

Jockney Rebel
05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
test rode one before i bought the triumph ... reliably honda

bluemk1
05-05-2009, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

test rode one before i bought the triumph ... boringly honda

[:p]

Tony Nitrous
05-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I didn't like them, but they are growing on me.

Compare them to Speed Triples / B-King / FZ1 / Z1000
and they are nothing special.

From a different point of view, they are reliable,
a proven motor, not bad looking, were cheap enough new
that they shouldn't cost an arm and leg now.

Im looking about for another toy / project.
My last 7 bikes were big Suzuki's,
but i'd have a H#nda Hornet at the right price.

Tony Nitrous
05-05-2009, 06:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

if they are anything like the 6 they are ace bike.

Used to have a Hornet 6 in the Garage,
at the time I had a Bandit 12.
The bloody little Hornet made almost as much power standard !

Toombsy63
05-05-2009, 07:07 PM
i find that it does everything right. has good torque and power and is a good step in price.

or do i save the extra to xmas and get the bking. This bike shits on everything else japanese. just love them:D

Loz
06-05-2009, 04:37 PM
I had one for a couple of years and loved it. A beaut and very reliable all-rounder. Brakes and suspension are cheap but good until the pace hots up, and from there it's easy enough to get things the way you want them. Pegs are low and comfy but if you wanna ride fast you'll need rearsets. The H9 is a fantastic bike for pillions too, except when the revs go past 6k or so, then the pillion pegs vibrate.

I think you can drop in cams from the 919 blade to get thirty-odd horses out of it, I never bothered. Gear it down -1/+3 or so and it becomes a lot more fun. I reckon they're an absolute steal for the amount of bike you get, if you can find one for $6k, I don't think you'll regret it.

Tony Nitrous
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I've never really looked into how they castrated them ?

I know the new Naked 1000 has a different head / etc.
Not easy to find the Pony's.

If the Hornet can be restored by just bolt-on's then
it'd be good. Even better if it can be done using back
dated Honda Blade parts ? Cam's ? Ignition ? Carb's ?
Is the compression similar ?
Leave a bit a cash spare to play with the budget suspension.

How much did Honda pay this reviewer......:D

The exciting Hornet 900 packs a mean punch that carries you swiftly into its world of exciting streetfighter style and performance. Its breathtaking surge of power ripples out of the same fuel-injected inline-4 engine originally developed for the legendary FireBlade, and has been specially tuned for stronger low-to-midrange grunt that lights up in an eye-opening flash from anywhere in its wide powerband. Handling is, like its looks, swift and agile thanks to its spare and strong Mono-Backbone frame, lightweight aluminium swingarm and Monoshock rear suspension, not to mention those big, racing class dual 4-pot front brakes to pull you down to cornering speeds in a hurry. The Hornet 900's fearsome aggressiveness is visually highlighted by its prominently positioned engine

God
07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Toombs,

I had a 05 900 for 12 months & 17,000km.

It did everything it claimed it would very very well but is was just so nice and friendly and well beige. There is a world of mods if you can be bothered check out 919.org.

Much of the CBR stuff can be bolted in but then you'll be making the ordinary handling even worse.

In the first month of ownership I did some basic mods - pipes, bars, fender eliminator, etc but never really formed an attachment to the bike and started the process of trying to sell it.

11 months later I was able to swap it for a Triumph Daytona. Fitted an ABM bar conversion. Bliss.

Unless you like Toyota Carollas, I'd suggest something else.

God.

Jockney Rebel
07-05-2009, 05:00 PM
get yerself a speedy ..waz

DiscoDan
07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

How much did Honda pay this reviewer......:D

The exciting Hornet 900 packs a mean punch that carries you swiftly into its world of exciting streetfighter style and performance. Its breathtaking surge of power ripples out of the same fuel-injected inline-4 engine originally developed for the legendary FireBlade, and has been specially tuned for stronger low-to-midrange grunt that lights up in an eye-opening flash from anywhere in its wide powerband. Handling is, like its looks, swift and agile thanks to its spare and strong Mono-Backbone frame, lightweight aluminium swingarm and Monoshock rear suspension, not to mention those big, racing class dual 4-pot front brakes to pull you down to cornering speeds in a hurry. The Hornet 900's fearsome aggressiveness is visually highlighted by its prominently positioned engine

Another case of a journo doing a copy and paste from a Honda press release, god I hate that. My hackles certainly went up reading the piece on the new SV650 replacement in the latest Rapid, sounded a lot like Suzuki words to me

RED ZX
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I rode one for a week while my Speed was in the shop.

Very capable bike, but very bland. Faster than it felt, because its so damn quiet.

If I owned one, it would need a set of pipes, new bars and some better brakes.

fimpBIKES
08-05-2009, 09:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by DiscoDan

Another case of a journo doing a copy and paste from a Honda press release, god I hate that. My hackles certainly went up reading the piece on the new SV650 replacement in the latest Rapid, sounded a lot like Suzuki words to me

that thing is an abomination [xx(]