PDA

View Full Version : Painting engine covers

Slingblade
24-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Can the paint guru's on here let me know if i need to put etch primer on engine covers before painting? I figure it wont be heatproof like the engine enamel and may cook.

cheers

ozkat
24-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Get them powdercoated.

gibbo
24-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Read the instructions on the label, some paints are self etching. As for the heat, don't worry too much unless you are painting around the exhaust ports. I painted a 351 block 26 years ago and the paint is still on there. I use normal auto paints on engine cases all the time without problems.

Slingblade
24-10-2006, 08:14 PM
sweet. Powdercoating would be nice but i am going the tightass way and hitting it with spraypak engine enamel.

red
24-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey Boris I have had great success with White Knight brand killrust type paint. There is black and one called Aluminium which looks like the regular silver grey used on some motors. And I cooked them in the oven afterwards too.

Kamakazebusa
25-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Sorry missed this thread........I manage a paint shop and i can tell you from experience, we always use ectching primer (Standox) b4 applying 2K final coat.

Lasts longer and no frying or shrinkbacks. Heat from engine just bakes it even more.

Hope this answers ur question