PDA

View Full Version : Plugs?

Large
26-04-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm rewiring parts of the ZX10 and I've been trying to find suitable plugs for the wiring harness. I wont use the Tamiya style 2/4/6/12 pin plugs cause they're crap.

Went with these audio plug thingys that I got from Jaycar for the dash, but I'm not sure if they'll be ok and they're a bitch to solder.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1240746852.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1240761763.jpg

I've seen some really nice waterproof plugs but they're fucking big and ugly.

Thoughts/anecdotes or ideas welcome

livewire
26-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Be brave and just solder em in with no connectors.
Connector = 3 possible fuckups. One at each termination and 1 mechanical contact.
Either that or Deutsch connectors

BANDITROD
26-04-2009, 07:38 PM
i am very curious to where you get these aswell i think fimp was going to bulk buy on bike plugs at one stage maybe he can help out

EFE 1230
26-04-2009, 07:50 PM
When I worked as a m/c courier I used these plugs to put the mic set up in my helmet they weren't that reliable and needed regular replacement.

If you aren't too much of a tightarse check out JEGS PERFORMANCE
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/KeywordSearchCmd?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&N=0&Ntt=electrical+connecter&Ntk=all&Nty=1&D=electrical+connecter&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchpartial&Dx=mode%2Bmatchpartial&searchTerm=electrical+connecter

Jup
26-04-2009, 07:51 PM
We used this type of plug (XLR) in our concert setups and found them very reliable as long as you get the soldering right (no dry joints) and they had no trouble with massive wattage, just be sure to do your homework to be sure they'll handle the power.

Use the clamps provided(?) to secure the cable to the body of the plug so that no force is applied to the soldered joint.

Do they have a metal or plastic locking mechanism? (or no mechanism at all?) They're important for a connector that will be subject to vibration and movement to keep them together - not all XLR type connectors have locks.

I'd hate for you to go to all that trouble only to have them melt, burn out or fall apart on you.

Tony OW31
26-04-2009, 07:53 PM
There are some decent waterproof millspec plugs that are readily available, bit pricey, but cant beat them for functionality.

latheboy
26-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I hear that NJK plugs are where it's at:D

EFE 1230
26-04-2009, 08:08 PM
I think you'll find these plugs are waterproof and should handle the vibrations no worries!................................

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1240754396.jpg

:D:D:D

BANDITROD
26-04-2009, 08:18 PM
dont use them green and black fuckers they are shit i have had them on predator and they keep fucking up all the time with bad conections and breaking aswell

BANDITROD
26-04-2009, 08:24 PM
i might give those msd ones a try they look the goods

Large
26-04-2009, 09:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jup

We used this type of plug (XLR) in our concert setups and found them very reliable as long as you get the soldering right (no dry joints) and they had no trouble with massive wattage, just be sure to do your homework to be sure they'll handle the power.

Use the clamps provided(?) to secure the cable to the body of the plug so that no force is applied to the soldered joint.

Do they have a metal or plastic locking mechanism? (or no mechanism at all?) They're important for a connector that will be subject to vibration and movement to keep them together - not all XLR type connectors have locks.

I'd hate for you to go to all that trouble only to have them melt, burn out or fall apart on you.

No clamps or locking mech, but I was planning to run some heatshrink over the joins when I was happy with them

livewire
26-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty sure Ashdown/Ingram stock Deutsch connectors.

stu
26-04-2009, 10:05 PM

Are you sure they are XLR. They look like DIN connectors to me. In my experience XLR are usually 3 pin connectors and have a locking mechanism. Their normal usage is for high end hifi or home cinema applications to provide balanced audio inputs and outputs. XLR are less commomly seen in 5 or 6 pin configurations and usually found in professional studio recording equipment. DIN connectors have a wider variety of usages and therefore available in variants of between 3 and 9 pin. I am unsure though about the suitability for this purpose as neither are waterproof or intended to be used in an enviroment subject to vibration.

Booster
27-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Don't stuff around with non waterproof non locking stuff,it will haunt you in the long term, if your sterio stops working it won't leave you in the middle of nowhere...
Like Graeme said Deutch or AMP or raid a local car wreckers and grab some of the late model sealed connecters with a bit of wire on each side( if you can't locate pins to suit ) to solder and heatshrink in.

Jup
27-04-2009, 05:51 PM
quote: They look like DIN connectors to me. ... I am unsure though about the suitability for this purpose as neither are waterproof or intended to be used in an enviroment subject to vibration.

Quite right, good pick up, and I agree.

STM77
27-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Duetsch connectors would be the go, as long as you have the right pins and tools. They are quite simple. Used on heaps of earthmoving stuff, when i was at CAT we never had any faults with the plugs.

Large
27-04-2009, 08:05 PM

quote: They look like DIN connectors to me. ... I am unsure though about the suitability for this purpose as neither are waterproof or intended to be used in an enviroment subject to vibration.

Quite right, good pick up, and I agree.

Yep they're DIN connectors.

It was pointed out to me that there's already enough joins in the harness to allow me to hardwire the instruments to the front harness and still allow removal if needed. [:I]

Thanks for the replies.:)