PDA

View Full Version : speed triple 3-4-2-1

uncle pervy
25-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Way back in the dawn of time (1994) when the speed triple was a new concept and i had the only one in W.A. Staintune developed a 3 into 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust for it. Not only did it give you 15 more horses and ~20% more torque but came with a little sticker that said "Not for street use". Well i wanted one then but couldn't afford it.
Now i can afford one, they don't make them. I know i asked.
I have rang several times and talked to different people and talked to reps at bike expo's and they all tell the same story. Seems some years ago they got a new workshop manager in, who in my opinion is a fuckwit, and one of his first tasks was to throw out all the old jigs and drawings.
So if anyone out there has one, or knows of someone who has one i would really appreciate some measurements of them. You know the sort of thing, tube diameter, lengths between joins. Pictures would also be something i would be grateful for
Thanks

30-06-2009, 04:21 PM
G'day,
I was working at Staintune in late 95/96 and was part of the team who developed that unit. The 3-4-2-1 you speak of also fitted the Thunderbird and all of the other 885 triples.

From memory, I used a DJ kit but had trouble with a slight dip in the mid-range that we couldn't eliminate. I seem to remember Sandy saying that he'd got info from the UK. Maybe Micron?

A couple of 3-into-1 headers were also made. Top end power was fairly similar but they were way down on power through the mid-range.

I know of one that still exists. Brian Vernon has one fitted to his triple that he drag races. Next time I see him I'll ask him to take some measurements.

For my daily trip home to Wentworthville, we stuck an empty reverse-cone megaphone on a Speed Triple equipped with a 3-4-2-1. It was late at night and the trip up the expressway and back again the next morning were one of the best ever.