PDA

View Full Version : Opinons on 1996 CBR600

nelpd96
23-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Ok, I know that I was saying that I really wanted a TDM 850 as a project but a 1996 CBR600 has come up in Townsville at a reasonable price. The bike is complete but a little rough, all lights complete and it starts and runs ok if a little rough. What are peoples experiences with these it has around 50,000km on it and I should be able to grab it for around $3000-3500 or there abouts. Any advice appreciated.

Clive I will have a chat to you about it this afternoon.

Cheers
Paul

papa smurf
23-10-2006, 02:22 PM
[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

pt
23-10-2006, 06:50 PM
say youll give him 1500 max and go from there;)

03gixxerpilot
23-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Talking to paul this arvo, he has some nice ideas as to what he is going to do to it, as a streetfighter i think that it will come up nicely and will be something diffrent, after all isint that what streetfighting is all about.

pt
23-10-2006, 09:44 PM
mmm but it's done 50 thou kms, and aint running 100% i wouldn't pay 3 grand for it. i'd say buy it, just for less

alfiestorm
23-10-2006, 10:35 PM
My farts are more powerfull than one o them :D

nelpd96
24-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Well I am heading back to have a chat to them this morning, this isn't a private sale either it is from Euro Cycles here in Townsville. I don't think that $1,500 will get me the bike somehow. I do realise that these are down on power against some of the bigger bikes but I figure for what I am going to do with it there should be more than enough power to start with. Does anyone here know of specific stuff that I should be looking at?

Cheers
Paul

Slingblade
24-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Go for it mate. The cbr6 has been the supersport benchmark for years and was a good thing back then.

What do you mean by running rough? If it has a can on it may have just not been jetted to suit. Listen for cam chain rattle as with the k's it may be getting close to a change.

I would just be looking for the usual used bike things. Check steering head bearings, crash damage etc. as they are a pretty reliable unit and i have heard of these models (f3 i think) doing massive km's. They arent much chop in the power stakes compared to the modern 600's(around 80-90hp stock) but put a jetkit pipe and filter in it and it will probably get up towards the 100hp mark. The suspension was pretty basic and will need some work to suit you but it would still be heaps of fun as a fighter. Drop the gearing as like most 600's they are seriously lacking in the midrange.

If it is a dealer i would tell them to service the thing and get it running properly and you will consider buying it. I would not pay 3grand unless its running well.

PS if you buy a TDM850 you are on the wrong site! get the cbr.

nelpd96
24-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Borris, It is fitted with a std can so it isn't a jetting issues I don't think more of a need for a service and tune, it started fine and seemed to rev clean there was a no rattle that I could hear but I am going to have another look this afternoon and see what I can come up with. I am pretty handy with a spanner so giving it a birthday shouldn't be too much of an issue.

With respect to the TDM it was going to get fightered as well, they come std with shorty pipes and MX bars with the same engine as the TRX with around 90hp so it would haev been ok I just couldn't find one. On a side note the price of bikes up here is rediculous compared to down south but by the time that you add travel and freight to have a look at a bike it become a little cost prohibitive.

Cheers
Paul

nelpd96
24-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Well I bought it, no timing chain rattle, runs ok needs a good tune. Photos to follow

Cheers
Paul

03gixxerpilot
24-10-2006, 07:06 PM
pic's pic's pic's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!