PDA

View Full Version : coil wiring?

dingo
19-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Guys, got the beast back together again, fired it up and fuk me, got the same issue i had before, running rough as shit, before i pulled the wiring out it was running sweet as, i ran new wiring from the CDI to the coils using 4mm wire, the plugs are only 2 rides old, carbs were done just before the last rides, only thing different is the wiring. been reading heaps before i posted and no resolution. setup is a '91 GSXR 750, sitting on the bike i have COIL 1,pots 1/4 left wire orange/white, right wire white, COIL 2,pots 2/3,left wire orane/white, right wire black/yellow? is this right? , also can anyone describe or send me a pic of the plug to the CDI? , im sure i got it right cos i replaced them one at a time. bout to go test the coils now but they should be fine, it WAS running sweet. any thoughts?

ralph
19-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Fire it up. Keep it running for a minute or so. Lick your fingers and touch each header. If your finger doesnt hiss. Thats the pot u got a miss.
You Kreemed your tank a while back. Same bike? If youve got spark on all four I'd be looking at the fuel side of things.
Assuming the carbs are good and clean, will only work, if they are.

dingo
19-04-2009, 09:45 PM
cheers ralph, yep its the kreemed bike,haha, that turned out really well by the way, very happy with it. i know pots 1/4 are ok, cos i pull each lead and it stops. got it appart at the moment or i would try the heat test, its the little things you forget when you are frustrated hey. it has done the same thing before then come good again?, very frustrated. i just made up a new earth connecting loom and battery as well as the mail earth to the motor, see if that helps. it has to be spark on 2/3 or it should have just misfired when i pulled either 1/4?

ST31TH
19-04-2009, 10:46 PM
It should be running a wasted spark set up ( 1 and 4 spark at same time, as do 2 and 3) which means your wiring wont be wrong but your coil might be rooted i kno a guy in mackay that can help

dingo
19-04-2009, 10:53 PM
haha, hi luke, took me a sec to realise who it was, scotty was round here thisarve, he wasnt sure either, give me a PM if you want, keen to go for a ride once its goin again :)

dingo
19-04-2009, 10:59 PM
so can coils have intermitent failures even when cold?, one day it goes , next day kaput?

ralph
20-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I have heard coils can play funny buggers sometimes. With all of your dicking around with plugs and coils and such, could one or more of your plug caps come loose on the leads? This can cause you to have spark when you check it with the plug out earthed on the motor, then when you put the plug back in it wont spark.

dingo
20-04-2009, 12:21 AM
i will have a proper look at their condition tomorro, check the caps n stuff. they do have like some glue on the housings themselves, maybe something is loose there, have i read right , the leads are fixed in there? , or can i replace them?, they are only stock coils.

ralph
20-04-2009, 09:18 AM
glued in

dingo
20-04-2009, 11:13 AM
all fixed good people, thanks for the input. yet ANOTHER NOOB MISTAKE, i stuck a screwdriver in all the leads and tested myself,lol, they are all fine, VERY FINE:D, post 1/2 wernt firing so it could only be fuel, turns out sitting for so long stuck 1/2 floats. running ok now, get these indicators goin and go blow the crap out of it all. thanks again guys , all help apreciated and stored in memory for next time:D