PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk LED indicators

Docktor
16-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Okey. Can ya use a 3 pin led flasher can on a 2 pin wiring system ?
I can find a 3 pin one but not a 2 pin one. I will admit i havent looked past autobarn and super cheap as yet, but ausfr dont list em.

I scored a set of them $10 ones at fools run and now its rooterised my indicators bad as. remember them resistor inline things that used to be around ?. can ya still get em ?. I just want blinkers back !!!. gimme info blokes

BANDITROD
16-04-2009, 07:26 PM
i have some resistors here mate i will dig them out for ya

dingo
16-04-2009, 08:42 PM
ok, i should do some searching but the topic is here, not long ago i got a set of 4 LED indicators, wot else am i needing to get these to go?, i've already got an LED tail light like the one EXBEN was selling and it was plug n play, what makes the indicators different?

Bear
16-04-2009, 10:22 PM
The way the flashcan/relay works is that it relies on a certain amount of current drawn from the indicators to make it tick on and off.

The old bulb style indicators are basically a resistor and draw the right amount of current to trigger the flashcan ie. they're designed to work with each other.

LED's (Light Emitting Diodes) draw fook-all current in comparison, therefore not making the flashcan trigger on and off. To correct this, you need to add some type of resistance in the indicator circuit that will draw approximately the same current as the old bulbs did.

There are a few ways to do this - wire/solder in a resistor big enough to draw the same wattage that the old bulb indicators did / wire back in the old bulb indicators somewhere on the bike that looks trick or are hidden (they'll just act as resistors, so they don't even have to be seen) or alternatively, you can replace the old flashcan with one made specifically for LED's that require less drawn current to trigger.

If you wire in resistors or bulbs, make sure they are wired in "series" and not "parrallel".

dingo
16-04-2009, 10:30 PM
cheers for clearing that up Bear, these indicators have 16 LED's in each unit, if they fall short then i have a few 10k,50k,100k, Vr's here, should be able to load up with one of them yeah?

oldskool
16-04-2009, 10:31 PM
come and see me mate Iv got LED flasher cans 2 pin

Jockney Rebel
16-04-2009, 10:37 PM
i had the same problem doc ..i just bought the red flasher can from supercheap ..and...sorted cost about 40bucks i think

Docktor
17-04-2009, 07:06 AM
I wented to supercheap and they only had 3 pin ones, my gix wants a 2 pin. That why i asked if ya can wire a 3pin to a 2 pin wiring loom., thanks rod and dylan i may come lookin 4 ya this arvo if i get outta work with nuf time to make a run. fukkin led this and led that, just gimme my blinkey things back

latheboy
17-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Did you buy that "thing" doc.... you know the "thing" you were selling the gix so you had the money?

Docktor
17-04-2009, 07:40 AM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/831244928112715.jpg

maybe . . . ;)[8)][:0]

latheboy
17-04-2009, 07:46 AM
What a shit box.... My hyundia excel looks better than that... ill be a good mate and do a striaght swap with you just so you feel better;):D

Docktor
17-04-2009, 07:57 AM
i was hopin some sucker would come along like you, the rear tires need replacing and bein 295/50/15 they only cost about 300 a pop, so i was hopin to swap it before i bought tires if that ok with you ?. i will deliver it this arvo, chuck us the keys for the excel so i can go fat armin in it on saturday mate.

latheboy
17-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Done buddy ill even have a full tank of fuel for ya...

BANDITROD
17-04-2009, 11:34 AM
thats sweet doc i rikey bery much

pappas
17-04-2009, 01:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by Docktor

i was hopin some sucker would come along like you, the rear tires need replacing and bein 295/50/15 they only cost about 300 a pop, so i was hopin to swap it before i bought tires if that ok with you ?. i will deliver it this arvo, chuck us the keys for the excel so i can go fat armin in it on saturday mate.

Nice car mate! How many $$?
Is that mini tubbed? Or does it have the room for 295's?

I had a four door and the biggest I could fit with the offset on my wheels was 275's.

scotty
17-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Doc, Dick smith will hook u up with all the resistors u need. there cheep as fuck (30c ea from mem)and you just solder them in.......
whamo blinki blinki
gimmi a call if ya wont the info.(it;s in members area)

Docktor
17-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Sweet scotty, thanks bloke, I might be seein rod soon but if not i will yell ya.

and for the record, pappas, 295s go straight under on 10 inch rims, so no tubbin here. It cost me 8K delivered to my door (melb) from sydney 9 months rego, rebuilt 351 with reciepts for 5K on engine 2K on brakes and 500 on the auto. All with under 15000klms on the new gear.And its a dinkum fairmont,air con and power steered, one of 600 built Soooo thats why i near killed myself to buy it.

A full tank of fuel ? , fark that clinches it, I could prolly drive round stralia on a full tank in a excel.............

Gives me 5 of the bastards now.
1 xb hardtop and 2 xc hardtops 1 xc 2 door convertible and 1 xc 4 door.

If ya had a bigger burnout pad we coulda brung her down and dun some circle work for your amusement rod

timbo
17-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Have you got any pics of the rag top Doc.
Btw nice pick up on the 2door

dingo
20-04-2009, 03:57 PM
ok , i now have a new LED flashcan, i got a narva red 2 pin, they flash ok, trouble is all 4 flash left and right >_<, any sugestions? im sure its been said before but i cant find where.

Docktor
20-04-2009, 05:32 PM
I will grab a pic of me convertible for ya timbo. I am sellin the xb now so I will only have 2 hardtops.
:(
As for em all flashin, reckon u got a wire crossed in there, do all 4 flash turnin left and right or only one way ?. mine was flashin all 6 (yes 6) only turnin left, traced it back to the alarm bein silly. so i smacked it and all good now..

dingo
20-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi Doc, all 4 are flashing both left and right, all are off when in the off position

JackTar
20-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Don't sell the XB Doc, biggest regret of my life selling my XB, well that and marrying that cunt of an ex-wife of mine.

Docktor
20-04-2009, 08:40 PM
its gotta go im afraid, if it dont, its gunna sit out in the weather and die . i cant see it rust into the ground.....
, dingo u got a alarm ? , if so, pull the wires for the indicator flash outta ya wiring. if ya dont got one, time to trace wires , wot bike ? . got a wiring diagram ya can follow ?. did all 4 flash before with the standard flasher can ? . might be that thing givin u grief. I buyed one from zuki down the road from me for 23 bucks, its a black one, and its tops.

oldskool
20-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Iv still got the 2 pin job you need Doc if ya wont it.

dingo
20-04-2009, 09:31 PM
it was working before Doc, it did have issues, i just figured the flasher was on its way out. no alarm, its a 91 GSXR 750, i have a few diagrams, guess i rip it all appart and go again, pain in the ass to get all the rear off to get to the wire joints again but i guess it must be done

Docktor
20-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I will be seein ya Dylan, I gotta get the new front end under the hardtop first tho coz its blockin my driveway. didnt think before i pulled it to bits and blocked my bikes in the shed. Hows that for some skillz ?