PDA

View Full Version : any KENPO KARATE fans out there in adelaide?

karitsu
16-04-2009, 12:36 AM
going to be opening up the first jeff speakman , kenpo karate school in adelaide, if anyone is intertested... www.kenpo.net.au

Razorback
16-04-2009, 11:51 AM
This is where some lame ass from another state tells you your a pussy and that they would kick your ass LOL.

But seriously.... I did about 7 years of Muahy Thai... but more MMA style with Kyle Bawden in Darwin. He teaches basically UFC type striking and grappling, but he is actually a Zen Do Kai black belt too so he incorporated quite a bit of Karate discipline. I really want to get back into it, but I prefer ring style training to pure Karate and living in Golden Grove I just havnt found anywhere that is teaching the kind of styles I like to practice.

Good luck with it all though.... might drop in one night and say gday...

-Dex-
16-04-2009, 03:22 PM
MMA. It's only gay if you make eye contact.

:D[B)]

Cruisecontrol
16-04-2009, 03:38 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/831242772423679.gif

336LJ
17-04-2009, 02:51 AM
My step dad used to box professionally, and was training up until a few months before he got ill.
I have done all sorts of fighting styles but either due to work,study, or growing bored of a particular style I didn't commit.
Zen do kai, muay thai, karate, boxing, Silat.
My fav so far would have to be Silat. we were being taught for free by a 4th gen instructer from indonesia at his house purely cause it was his life and he loved to teach.
Theres a Zen Do Kai dojo across the road from me, but I work nights so I can't go as often as would be worthwile :(
Plus lately I have the fitness level of a chain smoking 80yo.

How different is Kenpo karate?

Razorback
17-04-2009, 10:40 AM
There was a Silat guy on Fox MMA last night... he was so quick with his feet.... Im thinking... if he lands one of these kicks the other guys is history... seconds later... spinning back kick to the guts and the other guy is winded.... uppercut... all over lol... Silat is a great art!

karitsu
18-04-2009, 07:19 PM
basically its all good stuff, after 25 years you finally give up on the argument of whats crap and whats good, with the exception to take your doe i mean taekwondo thats always been crap... LOL

jeff speakman has put the cage fighting and grappling aspect into kenpo, and i will be representing him for adelaide, there are schools throughout australia http://www.jeffspeakman.com.au/

just type in jeff speakman on google if you have not heard of him...

gixkat
18-04-2009, 09:35 PM
He looks like Elvis during his deep fried peanut butter sanga days, I reckon I could take the fat bastard[:p];)

336LJ
19-04-2009, 05:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Razorback

There was a Silat guy on Fox MMA last night... he was so quick with his feet.... Im thinking... if he lands one of these kicks the other guys is history... seconds later... spinning back kick to the guts and the other guy is winded.... uppercut... all over lol... Silat is a great art!

Yeah I was always blown away by the fluid..ness... of silat.
5 of us took on the instructer with knives (paintbrushes) 3 of us were on our asses on the ground within 2 seconds, and the instructor was cutting the throat of the 4th guy with the 5th guys knife.

I also liked the training because he was honest, We also only learned defence for the first few months, no point attacking if you can't defend yourself.
He trained since the day he could walk. And if you were shit, you didn't grade. not like these "pay $70 a month be here for a while, I'll keep you coming back with a new coloured belt" places.

Somehow the sneaky fucker would always end up behind you, and your thinking.. WTF? whered he go. its amazing to watch. and he employed some very "wax on wax off" type training techniques.

One particular training method was a boxing glove on a big staff, held about a foot from your face, you had to deflect the thing starting with your arms down your side, and all he had to do was JAB.
After about 3 straight weeks of being repeatedly smacked in the mouth youd be suprised how fast the reflexes get!

Wish the bloke was still around I'd go back

Cruisecontrol
19-04-2009, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

$70 a month

I wish!

I agree about those sort of places though. Nothing worse than seeing a complete no-hoper gaining higher belts just because they show up every week.

I did that for a few years with Hapkido and got a little disenchanted with the whole system and ended up going in a different direction.

Cruisecontrol
19-04-2009, 06:28 PM

$70 a month

I wish!

I agree about those sort of places though. Nothing worse than seeing a complete no-hoper gaining higher belts just because they show up every week.

I did that for a few years with Hapkido and got a little disenchanted with the whole system and ended up going in a different direction.

BANDITROD
19-04-2009, 06:32 PM
shit dan are you pissed mate

Cruisecontrol
19-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Why is that mate?

Cruisecontrol
19-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Why is that mate?

BANDITROD
19-04-2009, 07:13 PM
hahahahahaha no reason

karitsu
19-04-2009, 07:19 PM
elvis did kenpo, he had the patch on his guitar, and ye... all of a sudden was a 7th dan honourable... bleddy ell... took me 20 years for first black...

336LJ
20-04-2009, 03:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

$70 a month

I wish!

yeah. I noticed alot of the guys with cheque book black belts walk around like they have pineapples as ballsacks, alot of arrogance and over confidence.

Then you get the guys who you would honestly not even suspect could hold their own in a fight, and they are just phenomenal.

Our old instructer used to walk around with a cane, wee little dodgy looking indonesian feller.. mugger bait. hmm now that I remember it, his cane was actually concealing a sword.

but yeah, another bad trait of the cash in dojo's is the fact that you rarely get one on one training. Something extremely valuable as was the case with our training, there was only 4 of us, with a few younger primary school aged kids.

karitsu
20-04-2009, 07:12 AM
cane.........hmmmm ..sounds quite kinky ?

latheboy
20-04-2009, 08:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

$70 a month

I wish!

Thats the same reason i give it away, I was doing karate of some sort and got sick of being preasured into going for a higher belt every other month.. Told the bloke to fuck off and found a life of drugs and woman, much happy then;) and still got to beat the shit out of the teacher when he picked a fight with me in the street..

BANDITROD
20-04-2009, 09:20 AM
hahahahaha thats nice ivan .....me on the other hand i learned to fight in the pub on weekends .... and i dont mean to offend anyone but why do you go and train to fight and not use it most guys i know that do karate or whatever it is can go like fuck in the ring or in a controlled enviroment but when you get them in a scrap in the pub at 3am they are fucking useless and i am not one to go looking for fights ...i have anger issues thats all and i cant stand cunts giving me the shits when they are pissed and i always seem to be a target at our local cos i dont play footy .......

karitsu
21-04-2009, 07:00 AM
its a hobby, people train for different reasons, you have those kinda problems, then you would learn to channel it, and probably instead of killing some gay footy fan ! you would do something different.. again depends on the martial art, kenpo is an out right street fighting art, brutal with no rules, but like you say there are those that join for any art for the wrong reasons, and great, hopefully you never have to use it , to the extreme ! because thats somwhere that will end you up , locked up.. good point though.

BANDITROD
21-04-2009, 07:54 AM
ah fair enough mate thats sound like a legititmit reason to me

Razorback
21-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I went into kickboxing through somewhat of a backdoor for similar reasons of attitude. I had a mate who worked with me in IT at the time and he also did some bouncing at a local club in Darwin. He was a pretty solid guy and I knew he could fight coz the club he worked at had a reputation for some nasty Saturday night brawls. He asked me to come to kickboxing and my response was that Martial Arts were for guys who needed to prove something to themselves. He assured me I was talking out my ass and I went along for a laugh. I got hooked first night and had a great time, met some great people including Kyle Bawden the trainer and never looked back. Martial arts can be excellent for all sorts of reasons, you dont have to be an angry dick to get involved and in fact its best if your not.