PDA

View Full Version : Matte Satin or Gloss?

zx12argh
22-10-2006, 09:07 AM
I've got a respray coming up in a couple weeks and I'm still nailing down my final scheme but the basic colour is black.

Now should I go Matte or high gloss on this? Has anyone here lived with a matte finish before? I worried that its going to end up looking cheap and dirty and thats my job.[8D]

Kamakazebusa
22-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I manage a paint shop for a living dude, trust me satin blk is the way to go, not as high maintanance as gloss and Matt blk.

Blk shows all the cracks, chips, scratches there is to mankind, the first time u wash it u will scratch it.

I'm painting my frame , wheels satin blk. it looks trick.

Gix11
22-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Here's what satin looks like after a few months:

http://streetfighters.com.au/images/gallery/suz/gix11/degenerate2.jpg

Maybe it was the guy who did mine, but what I have noticed is that without a clear coat / laquer coat, it marks really easy. I have 'polished' looking areas that are glossy from tank bag straps rubbing on it after the trip to P.I. and cleaning it never seems to leave a uniform finish. It's cool though, but I'm over it I think. I'm going to change mine to a bit more showroom finish next time.

Kamakazebusa
22-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Application is a big part of it........the finish i do is as excact as the colour on the new frames the gixers 1000's come out in......believe it or not it has a silver flake through the satin black

zx12argh
22-10-2006, 02:27 PM
I think I'll be going along the gloss route. My mate is painting it for me and the plan is to go black tinted undercoat - black first coat and then burnt orange art both in acrylic - then do a generous clear coat in 2 pac and make that puppy shine. I want to do my wheel centres gloss black to match as well so was worried about having gloss and satin mismatching and looking wierd out of place.

Apart from the front fender she doesn't have any forward facing fairings [8D] so hopefully stone chips wont be an issue and I plan to stick on a clear tank protector.

I gotta get this right, I'm not keen on respraying again anytime soon as this will be the second paint job she's had in 6 months. I'm sick of sanding.[xx(]

She's going to look pretty trick all said and done. Touch wood.

Kamakazebusa
22-10-2006, 02:46 PM
She'll be right, Preparation is the key. U can fcuk the paint work and fix it but if its not prepped properly she's gonna look shit in any colour u paint it.

Let us know how she turns out.