PDA

View Full Version : SSS/A wheel spacing

EFE 1230
05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Anyone know how to space out a ducati rim on a triumph hub so the tyre will clear the swingarm (honda) ?????????

latheboy
06-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Use a spacer maybe[?]
Put up a pic of the different mating parts so we can see ... ie: the hub and the wheel

EFE 1230
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
( a spacer?) No shit mate!!!!!!!lol

There are 4 lugs on the hub that locate the wheel, when the wheel is positioned on the axle for the tyre to clear swingarm the lugs no longer reach the wheel.

So do you remove the lugs then put bolts through the holes to locate the spacer and mount the lugs on the spacer or leave the lugs as is and make the spacer use them as well as 4 more (on spacer) to mount the wheel?

sorry no camera atm.

latheboy
06-04-2009, 09:39 PM
I would make the spacer to use the dogs(lugs) on the hub and have another set to drive the wheel

geesexar
07-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Mike if its any help you can come over to my place and look at my swingarm...ducati wheel 95 vfr750 sssa

TurboKat
07-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Yeah, your only options are to make a spacer the required thickness & use extra long locating pins that go through the spacer & into the wheel or make a spacer & put the original pins in it & drill a second set of holes & bolt the spacer to the wheel using the original locating pin holes in the drive flange. You'll hafta use low profile bolt heads & recess the bolt heads into the spacer because the wheel mounting face hasta be flat, if the spacer isn't thick enough to bore the recess into, the other option is to bore recesses the wheel's mounting face (providing it's thick enough of course) for clearance for the bolt heads.
Just thought of another option, you could make the spacer with 1 set of holes, use the original pins & use longer bolts to sandwich the spacer. I'd recommend dowelling the spacer to hub flange if you go with that option.
Either way, you'll need access to a lathe & mill or if you do a drawing of what you want, I can make it pretty easy, it's only an hours work (or 15 mins for Latheboy :()
All of the above is assuming a pretty big spacer is required, like 10 - 20mm, if you only need to space it out a few mm, you still need a spacer but you can rob a mm here & there from the pins & the wheel but no more than 3mm in total.
Hey geesexar, how did you go about converting your Honda 4 bolt hub to centrelock for the Duc wheel?

TurboKat
07-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Hang on a cotton pickin' minute Effie !!!
I just re read the first post, do you mean you have a Triumph hub assembly in a VFR arm ? [:0]

EFE 1230
07-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Yeah TurboKat mate! Triumph hub/Honda arm/Duc wheel cool huh??? ...no??? .......then get fucked!!!!!!!lol!!

Looks like all the SSS/A hubs interchange in the different arms!
My engineer mate reckons it's because they would all use the same internal bearings coz designing a 1 off bearing is mega $$$$.

The arm is the RC30 that was for sale here a while ago, but it might be a vfr400, the Triumph hub bolts in just need to space the Duc wheel.

Have you got a vfr400 rear caliper mounting plate that you could measure?

The Triumph brake plate hub hole is 75mm (ish) in diameter, need to know if I can use the Honda brake set up on the arm.

If it's the same diameter you don't have a brake plate/caliper you want to sell? mate,buddy,pal!!!!!!!