PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Yokes..

jakam04
20-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Am I better of buying a replacement top yoke to put on new m/cross bars? or is it safe to drill into current yoke and place risers on yoke?

Ive seen the replacement yokes around $399 but not sure how long its going to take to save that up. Mind you, if the difference between time saving and my actual safety by drilling into unsafe yoke, then Im better off saving.

Any advice would be appreciated.

jarrod

NakedTurboBusa
20-10-2006, 10:29 PM
if there is room drill and bolt it!!! cheap. or get ben to weld it.

sweet

Gix11
21-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Done both. Same result. One looks real good, and one does the job. Unless you are planning to go motorcrosssing and jumping shit, drilling is not really an issue as long as you do it once and confidently. Someone here consiered rubber mounting their risers once! That is like some kind of suicide mission. Hard mount them and make them solid and you will be fine.

03gixxerpilot
21-10-2006, 06:53 AM
drilled and bolted on two of my bikes, both used and abused in stunting and have had no trouble crashed the gixxer pretty hard and bent MX bars badly, still had no affect on the mounts, bolts, or tripple clamps

jakam04
21-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Awesome, thanks for your replies. I have the s tock standard top yoke on my bike at the moment. Will have a look at where best to drill it and find a set of yoke risers to work out best plan of action. Will probably get one of the tradies to do it at work as im sure it work out for the best.

Next on that shopping list will be extended brake lines and other cables so when I put the new bar on I wont have a prob.

Thanks again

Jarrod

fimpBIKES
21-10-2006, 06:56 AM
yeah, nice big washers and no-ones the wiser ;)

03gixxerpilot
21-10-2006, 07:09 AM
jakam depending on where the clutch and throttle cables are run you can rerout them and not have to lengthen them as i did on both my 03 gixxer and 99 vtr 1000 the only thing i had to do on them both was to get new break lines and these were done with braded jobies from a local break specilist, and street legal as well, even colour coded as well!:)

Iceman
21-10-2006, 07:43 AM
I hope it's safe to drill. I just drilled the brand new RGV top yoke yesterday!

03gixxerpilot
21-10-2006, 11:50 AM
as i said above ice, never had a prob with mine

03gixxerpilot
21-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Just seen dazz's post go here to see a couple of pics of what you are after

http://streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3301