PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Cable - ZX6R

Disturbed_Dave
05-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey guys,
The head off my '00 ZX6R's clutch cable snapped off recently, time to replace it. Only thing I found to fit was a universal Kawasaki clutch cable. Admittedly, it was a pain to fit, meaning I had to remove the engine mounted bracket, slide the cable through, and re-attach it.

Problem is however, I have just come to realise (After trying to push start the bike), that with the clutch pulled in all the way and in gear, it wont roll, leading me to believe that the clutch isn't engaging fully.

Any ideas?

EFE 1230
05-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Has the cable got adjustment at the clutch end? (usually at the engine case mount bracket), if so try adjusting there first then at the handle bar.

Disturbed_Dave
05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
barely any adjustment, it was quite an awkward fit.

EFE 1230
05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
If it hasn't got much adjustment now it's fitted I'd say it's too short and not disengaging the clutch completely. You could try the reverse and back it off all the way at engine end and then try at the handle bar end. Best bet would be to check length with old one to make sure the inner cable isn't shorter.

I hate "universal" parts! always prefer genuine, just not the cost!!

Disturbed_Dave
05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't mind using the original cable, issue is that the one I need is longer than original, as i'm using motocross bars, not the original.
If anything, from memory, the one i'm using now has a longer cable run.
The guy who installed the last cable (after turning it into a fighter), apparently had one 'custom made', but all that involved was welding on an extension, I don't want to do that, seems a bit too dodgy.

As a side note, if the bike is running, i have it in gear, and clutch pulled in, it doesnt try to creep, leading me to believe that it IS working properly?

I'm very reluctant to ride it til this is sorted, last thing I want to do is burn out the clutch.

Don't suppose anyone with a ZX6R has had to go down this route before?

EFE 1230
05-04-2009, 01:17 PM
You can buy clutch cables from most bike shops that come unmade from one of the "universal" (aftermarket)parts suppliers here in OZ.

All you do is cut the inner/outer cable the desired length then silver solder the ends on, most bike shops should be able to get them and make them up for you once you work out the length needed.

Any shop that does dirt bikes or classic's would be the go, not sure if a name brand dealership has a computer for making cables!!

Take the bike for a spin if it doesn't clutch slip or do anything strange like hard to get into neutral at the lights I'd say all is good.

A quick ride won't kill a clutch and if something is wrong it will show up very quickly.

Disturbed_Dave
05-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Actually, just a thought. Probably a silly question, but would it make a difference whether the bike is running or not?
When the bike is running, obviously with clutch in i can roll it, but when its off, i cant.
Sounds like a custom cable is probably the go. Gonna buy new levers anyway, might do it when I get them in.

sharky
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11478&SearchTerms=zzr600,clutch

Disturbed_Dave
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks sharky, yeah I found that link yesterday...

Spoke to my mechanic, correct him if he's wrong, but he said with the bike turned off, I shouldn't be able to move it in gear with the clutch pulled in anyway?

This brought relief to me, as I actually had a sinking feeling today that it could be that my clutch basket was scorn, and the only reason its not 'gripping' when the bike is running, is due to the vibration through the discs.

As I mentioned, she clutches fine when running (now i've just gotta get the adjustment right again)

sharky
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
quote:Spoke to my mechanic, correct him if he's wrong, but he said with the bike turned off, I shouldn't be able to move it in gear with the clutch pulled in anyway?
WRONG.
We pushed Gsxar Jo's bike backwards and forwards after the burnout comp and it was in a high gear,clutch in....moved easy

Hillsy
07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

quote:Spoke to my mechanic, correct him if he's wrong, but he said with the bike turned off, I shouldn't be able to move it in gear with the clutch pulled in anyway?
WRONG.
We pushed Gsxar Jo's bike backwards and forwards after the burnout comp and it was in a high gear,clutch in....moved easy

All bikes are different in this regard. It depends on clutch plate condition, type of oil, how long it's been sitting, blah, blah...

But if the clutch is operating OK when the bike is running, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Disturbed_Dave
07-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Tested it today, 4th/5th/6th with clutch in moves fine, 1st and 2nd are a no go, 3rd is a bit tough.

I'll just see if i notice any issues while riding, as of yet, i havent