PDA

View Full Version : zx9 Axle Torque settings

336LJ
04-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Well I finally took the intelligent approach and checked the torque specs on everything I was doing (rear rotor replacement) and I'd taken the rims in to get new rubber.

Do you really have to do the damn axles up to 110ft-lb? my torque wrench only goes up to 80ft-lb and I had to hang off the fucker to undo the nut again, I noticed the swingarm compresses in a bit when its tightened.(Sure hope thats normal!)

Reason I ask this is cause on a car I'v always had them just as tight as needed, then backed off to put the pin thru the castle nut, which is what I was always taught, Iv just been doing the axles up on the 9 as firm as I could by hand using the dodgy spanners in the tool kit, but not excessive so that I couldnt get em off again without bursting a blood vessel in my sphincter

110 seems way too tight? (and I have no way of measuring anyway)

EFE 1230
04-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Never seen a bike shop use a torque wrench on axle bolts after a tyre change, if you never had anything fall off your cars after working on them I'd say you're safe just doing them up as "tight" as you think they need to be. I've always done them this way never had a problem, all the shops that have done my tyres have done them like that and no wheels have fallen off..........yet!

ralph
04-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Libra absorbent liners work well in this situation. They have a soft cover and body contour shape. They are the ideal solution for everyday freshness, underwear protection, as a back up for tampon.
Libra absorbent liners will keep your underwear fresh day and night!
I get a good feeling inside when i can help a fellow biker out with my wealth of mechanical knowledge so theres no need to say thanks. Just really glad I could help.

EFE 1230
04-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes I have to agree, if you get sweaty balls an absorbent liner in your jocks works very well in the summer months. If you want to avoid any embarrassing ball scratching in public then they will save you from being caught with your hand down your pants trying to get to that annoying itch!

davio
04-04-2009, 04:44 PM
if ur goin to do anything that tight ,make sure u put some neversieze on it, shop i worked at taught me to just do em up tight ,,ie. good force on a breaker bar tight

davio
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
ah just read ur post properly,, car bearings are taper type so thats the way to go with them ,, bike axle has spacers and the bearing has no load from the axle nut , so u cant really overtighten them like u can on a car ,, that said id not put 110 on them ,, try 75 and check em after 100 km

336LJ
04-04-2009, 06:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by davio

ah just read ur post properly,, car bearings are taper type so thats the way to go with them ,, bike axle has spacers and the bearing has no load from the axle nut , so u cant really overtighten them like u can on a car ,, that said id not put 110 on them ,, try 75 and check em after 100 km

aha, Thanks mate, that was the main reason I asked, I wasn't sure wether or not doing the nut up too tight would shorten the life of the bearings.

336LJ
04-04-2009, 06:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

Libra absorbent liners work well in this situation. They have a soft cover and body contour shape. They are the ideal solution for everyday freshness, underwear protection, as a back up for tampon.
Libra absorbent liners will keep your underwear fresh day and night!
I get a good feeling inside when i can help a fellow biker out with my wealth of mechanical knowledge so theres no need to say thanks. Just really glad I could help.

Do I have to wear ladies underpants? for maximum... performance? Thems got those "low profile" aerodynamic lookin underwear what goes under jeans. strap them in and feel the G's!

ralph
04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
budgie smugglers work well and if your worried about performance try the new maxi sheilds with extra absorbancy and wings for increased comfort

336LJ
04-04-2009, 11:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

budgie smugglers work well and if your worried about performance try the new maxi sheilds with extra absorbancy and wings for increased comfort

how the fuck do you know so much about this? i bet this is what mechanics learn at tafe

05-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Are you sure it is ft-lb and not Nm? All the torque specs i use are in Nm and 110Nm is around about 80ft-lb (or there abouts) and that would seem about right

ralph
05-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I previosly owned a kawasaki[:I]. I found sanitary pads an essential part of my riding protective gear[:0]

yoda
05-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Either way thats pretty tight...
I've always done mine 'just tight enough'(i dunno, a good reef on a socket!) and never had any problems.

As for the umm sanitary products, you lot know far too much!!

336LJ
06-04-2009, 03:09 AM
ignore where its highlighted its actually on wheels n tires.
Probably written up by a kung fu master.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/1073294498133994.JPG

latheboy
06-04-2009, 07:34 AM
That pretty tight but at work we put 85ft-lb's on M10 cap screws, so i dont thing it too over the top