PDA

View Full Version : This is really pissing me off...

sharky
28-03-2009, 01:06 PM
I am nearly at the point where my bikes flame paintjob becomes the real thing :(
I have checked and double checked everything (I think).
New coils,plugs and leads.
New K&N's.
Put the jetting back as it was when I first built the bike with K&N's and rode it to Dubbo.
Checked float height and fuel levels in carbs.
Good healthy spark.

It coughs and splutters as if its running out of fuel...full tank, had the fuel line into a drum and flow is good. Tried it with fuel cap open. Tried taking air filters off.

In the garage (with the door shut) I can get it to 6000rpm but when I push it over that it splutters and I get flames from the exhaust (too rich on mains ??)...I have tried putting the open end cap on the Supertrapp muffler.

I'm really pissed because last year I spent so much time getting wifes ready mine wasn't jetted quite right for the track....was determined to be ready this year.[V]

Open to any suggestions apart from buying a ##n#a or a sukzuki.[:0]

gibbo
28-03-2009, 02:01 PM
I reckon you should buy a Suzu.... ah, sorry[:I]

latheboy
28-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Time to put it on a Dyno

sharky
28-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Was just about to go for another test ride...Had a moment of inspiration...and remembered I still had the Factory Pro needles fitted...put the old stock ones in and.....the battery went flat from all the starting but no riding its been doing....So tune in tomoro for the next episode in the saga....
And Yep...dyno booked for wednesday next week.

Deano
28-03-2009, 05:20 PM
if you are free reving the bike in the shed it wont be on the mains unless the needles are up.

sound like it could be a timing issue withe the cams or spark.

have you had the cams out at all?

have you changed the pilot jets at all?
something is fishy, will end up being a simply fix.

sharky
28-03-2009, 05:39 PM
From researching it would appear that they are susceptable to emulsion tube wear...easily go oval. Doesn't need much to screw the running...and by using totally different profile Factory pro needles probably made a liveable situation worse.
Hopefully the old ones wil get it running again.
4 new tubes from Yam....$108 EACH.
4 from Factory Pro...US$96 for 4.

MONO
29-03-2009, 12:17 AM
wednesdays to close for comfort sharky don't worry about tubes ,if tubes are worn usualy upsets all rev range Q does problem get worse or better when motor warm or dead cold

MONO
29-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Are you northside ,do you need to ride it to afr ?

sharky
29-03-2009, 07:03 AM
quote:Are you northside ,do you need to ride it to afr ?
Fortunately I am bring the ute and a trailer as I am providing the bar for the beer tent.
Just been downstairs...battery is good but I think its the diode unit...small silly black box thing with lots of wires...that has shit itself.
As soon as I turn on the ignition the acewell screen flashes blue, the diode box clicks and then the screnn goes to ignition off mode ie just the time displayed....and nothing works.

Gonna get out the wiring diagram and see if I can bypass it.

It will be at the AFR if I have to push it across the field :(

Iceman
29-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Sounds like your having the same luck as me Russ. I've spent 5 fucking days trying to fix a modified fuel tap. If it doesn't work today, I don't know what I'll do.

sharky
29-03-2009, 10:57 AM
WOULD YOU FOOKIN BELIEVE IT.......IT WAS THE BATTERY.....
I charged it last night...checked this morning..yep 13.5volts....so was testing everything...decided to bypass the relay/diode unit...thats strange...engine doesn't turn over.....put spare starter motor onto terminals...nothing...tried it on car battery...whizzzzzzzzz
Stuck wifeys zzr6 battery in...bingo started first time all systems working :(

EFE 1230
29-03-2009, 11:25 AM
I seem to remember someone asking about the battery in your other "What am I missing??" thread :D:D:D

sharky
29-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Your right mate they did...but when tested it read 13.5 and went to 14.5 when running...

Anyway...just been for a test ride...no splutter at all so off to the dyno wednesday for a few runs.

Bloke at Yam dealer told me they had a kakawaki in there that revved to the redline on the bench...bogged down and spluttered on the road....it was worn emulsion tubes

This is enough wear to cause problems.
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/7771762215591.jpg

Very useful site if you haven't already found it..

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/indextech.html

MONO
29-03-2009, 12:20 PM
fuel problems can be sorted out with a gas analizer (got one) electrics sorted out by wizzard mmmmm haven't found one 4 sale yet. Will be bringing gas analizer to fools if any help!!