PDA

View Full Version : carbon?

davio
26-03-2009, 05:22 PM
is it true u can lay up c/f pieces the same as normal fibreglass as long as theyre not structural?
im thinkin of doin my own tailpiece in c/f ,it only supports the undertray and tail lights

DiscoDan
26-03-2009, 09:24 PM
yes, it's actually a lot easier to work with than FG. When MA mandated CF or equivalent engine case covers for racing last year we all got very good at it, it's piss easy

davio
27-03-2009, 04:12 PM
cheers dan ,so i already have some high quality epoxy resin ,,where do i get the carbon from?

DiscoDan
27-03-2009, 04:17 PM
I got some at a good fibreglass providor, about $80 a metre from memory. Try these guys if they're close to you

http://www.fgi.com.au/?q=one-stop-shop-trade-centres

davio
27-03-2009, 05:40 PM
ah ur a top bloke disco ,i dont care what they all say about u behind ur back

DiscoDan
27-03-2009, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by davio

ah ur a top bloke disco ,i dont care what they all say about u behind ur back

Fortunately neither do I :)

happy hunting, if you get stuck I've got half a metre or so left over but I suspect you'll need more than that for a full seat unit

davio
27-03-2009, 06:19 PM
yer ta dan ,, my plan was just to buy a coupla metres and see where temptation took me,,, i mean ,fuck its black already ,think of the savings in spray cans!!

davio
27-03-2009, 06:20 PM
so what are u racin dan?

OZ750L
28-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Dan,

Have you made any case savers out of C/F for racing?

Looking into it for my 89 750. Got any advice?

DiscoDan
28-03-2009, 05:29 PM
To answer both questions: yes I've made SF case savers for my CBR400RR race bike and it's piss easy. A mate and I knocked up four of them in an hour and a 6 pack

You need the side-cover off and then just cover it in glad-wrap as a simple release agent. Cut out 4-5 pieces of CF matt in the rough shape you need away you go. As it's matt you can just brush resin onto the matt and then lay it over the cases and form it over the lugs you're going to bolt to (must be at least 3 as per MA rules). Repeat for all the layers and let it dry. You may want to weight the matting over the lugs so it sets nice and flat on them.

You then just need to trim it with a dremel and I'd recommend over-drilling the bolt holes and putting a small sleeve (cut from Al tube maybe) in. I didn't to that and I have problems getting enough tension on the bolts without cracking the CF but it still works fine. I've smacked them into the ripple-strip very hard and just minor scuffing, the only issue is a bit of milking in the resin over time which I suspect is because I just got the first resin in the cupboard

hope that helps