PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic clutch?

dingo
25-03-2009, 10:37 PM
done a little searching but no satisfying answers, is it possible to convert a '91 gsxr 750 cable clutch to a hydraulic setup?

DCRacing
25-03-2009, 10:51 PM
2 options

1 convert to a 5 spd and use the 1100 input shaft in the gearbox which already has the hole through the guts of it or

2 bore a hole through the 6 spd input shaft

either way you are looking at pulling the motor and splitting cases to change it over to hydraulic. I guess you could mount a little slave cylinder near the cable arm and make it hydraulic that way......

dingo
25-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Cheers DC, thought about the slave on the side bit, would be different but just lacks the smooth effect i think, now a i have the answer i was looking for i will most definatly look into it when i split it. would you know what side covers i can use? , will start collecting bits as they arise. if i had the 6spd shaft drilled will it weaken it?
Cheers

DCRacing
25-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I know Peter Stone has drilled his shafts and he hasn't had any issues and he is running 1100's in his sprint/cart setup and the new gixxer 1000 have a hole drilled through them for the clutch as well. so i doubt that there would be much of an issue.
I am not up to speed on the side cover's needed i had a hydraulic setup that i converted to cable, but i think someone has already grabbed the sprocket cover of me i will have to chase it up. and the clutch cover is easy enough to get as far as i know i have a couple i think...... just got to find them.......

dingo
25-03-2009, 11:29 PM
thanks for clearing all that up for me DC, been thinking bout it for a while. when the time is near and the funds are there i will shoot you a PM if thats ok, wont be for a while, just an idea evolving for now :)

latheboy
26-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Why do you want to go Hydraulic? Its lighter with a cable

dingo
26-03-2009, 08:08 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

i didnt know that, most hydraulic clutches i have felt over time are light as, i have no issue with the clutch now as it is very light, purely just idea after looking at so many bikes and if parts are found cheap enough then it might be something extra and different to do one day. the motor will be rebuild it time, hopefuly for no other reason than i just felt like it, interesting you ask that question though, i will do more homework. the thought was in my head and i had to get it out.

OZ750L
26-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Dingo,

Have a look at bandits and early slabbies. Pretty sure they ran drilled clutch shafts..
Might be simpler to swap in a clutch shaft or complete gearbox from one of those.
Prefer a well lubed cale clutch meself.

Know the 600 bandit uses a cross shaft for the clutch. is one in the brother-in-laws Formula 500.

latheboy
27-03-2009, 07:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by dingo

quote:Originally posted by latheboy

i didnt know that, most hydraulic clutches i have felt over time are light as, i have no issue with the clutch now as it is very light, purely just idea after looking at so many bikes and if parts are found cheap enough then it might be something extra and different to do one day. the motor will be rebuild it time, hopefuly for no other reason than i just felt like it, interesting you ask that question though, i will do more homework. the thought was in my head and i had to get it out.

What i meant be it being lighter is if you have the complete assembly of a hyd. clutch (master, slave, oil line bla bla bla) and the complete assembly of the cable clutch( lever and cable) the cable setup is lighter .... As Stocky about how good the lighter parts are:D;)

dingo
27-03-2009, 09:27 AM
OZ- thanks mate i will keep all that in mind when i decide.

Lathe- ahhhhh,lol, lighter, now i gotcha, your right, both the bike and i could loose a few pounds :)

Booster
27-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Funny some of the busa guys convert to cable, then the cable guys want to convert to hydraulic.. is it a case of the grass is greener over there..

RUSS M8
27-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Hydro does mean you can run matching master cylinders and reservoirs/caps to keep the controls looking symmetrical though....:)

dingo
27-03-2009, 12:29 PM
keep those thoughts and opinions coming, im interested in what everyone has to say :)
thanks guy's

latheboy
27-03-2009, 01:09 PM
I agree with RUSS on that it looks nice.... You can have a clutch window with hyd. .... Ill be keeping the cable though

OZ750L
28-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Dingo,

1992 US Oil Cooled Katana has the cross shaft. Check out the thread below.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217517&page=2

jmw76
28-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Dingo,

As DC mentioned in an earlier post, I have used the 750 gearbox bits in an 1100. You just have to drill the end of the 750 shaft so that the 1100 hydaulic shaft goes through.
If converting a 750 box to htdraulic then I suspect you would have to change clutch cover and clustch assembly. I don't think an 1100 clutch will match up with the drive gear on your 750 crank.
Sounds like a lot of hassle to swap from cable.
In my case I wanted the 6 speed in my race car that already uses the hydraulic setup and would have been more difficult to convert to cable.
Good luck.

Peter.
:)

dingo
28-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks for all the input guy's, it does seem to be a lot of trouble just for a clutch, all of you have provided exactly the answers i was looking for good or bad, 'is it possible' seems so, 'is it worth it' seems not. hopefully we have answered anyone elses questions on this matter along the way and given others a starting point if they choose to go that way, for now the money could go to other places, i will enjoy the cable while its there. probabably build a 7/11 and say 'fuck, wonder if i can swap for a cable again':)

Thanks again for everyones input.
Cheers
Carl