PDA

View Full Version : MLS Gasket resizing

Benz
21-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to get a Zephyr 736cc gasket to fit my 810 bore size.
I broke out the dremel, and my best stones to attempt to take 1.5mm off the internal size , to match the bore size.
The gasket material just heats up,and thickens,seems it is a very strong steel, my steel cutters just get dull.
Does anyone know of a better way to approach this situation. The local lasercutter company said they could not cut three layers at once, as the laser would bubble the edges, trying to deal with multiple layers. He said he would try, but could not gaurantee he would get it right, and would rather not possibly ruin my gasket.
He suggested I try dremelling, which has turned out to be a total fuckup.
Does anybody have a better suggestion???
Does an MLS 810 gasket exist for a 750 Zephyr??

Hagarr
21-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Benz, tried a stone instead of a cutter in the dremel??

Benz
21-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah Haggar, when the steel cutter went dull in the first 10 seconds, I reached for the stones. They just seem to heat the material too, and the same thing happens, the gasket just heats,thickens up, before the stone actually cuts. I've tried all my best stones, with similar results. Maybe my method sucks......... I've put the old graphite gasket over the new one[to give me an edge to work to], layed them on a flat piece of wood, then clamped the lot together, and went for it, with stunningly poor results...........

ozkat
21-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Geoff do Cometic make a gasket to suit?

Benz
21-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Don't know Shayne, but I asked about the resizing on 750turbo.com, and was told to use a flap wheel, and then bevel the edges after I get the desired diameter. Sent an email to BK performance, if an 810MLS gasket does exist, you'd think Burt would know of it. I'm gonna try the flap wheel method first, hopefully it is the go......

Tony OW31
21-03-2009, 06:40 PM
A water jet cutter will do it no problem.

03gixxerpilot
21-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Benz get a copper gasket made to suit

Docktor
21-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Me mate just done a 810 into his turbo and used the stock gasket
he used a die grinder with a tungsten bit to take most of it out, then 80 grit paper to sand the burs off and then a razor blade to pick bit the bits left out of the 3 layers of stainless, then he used 3 bond around the gasket, let it go tacky and bolt her down...

Docktor
21-03-2009, 07:56 PM
careful with the bolts between 2 and 3 cylinder either side of the timing chain valley . they are not to be tightened real tight. only real low tension.......

Benz
21-03-2009, 08:11 PM
I found a suitable tungsten cutter with larger teeth than the dremel's,[buried deep in the guitar repair section of my workshop] ran it slowly in a drill, and it cut pretty clean, enough to be useful! Thanks for the razorblade tip Doc, that is now my last problem, the centre piece of gasket has some dags I couldn't remove with sandpaper.
Wished I'd have thought of the water jet.....correctness
Oh well, it's done now, hopefully this week will see the old girl back in one piece, ready for a right thrashing!!
I bought the MLS because I didn't want to go through the copper gasket, and wire o-ringing procedure. I just don't trust any bastard up here anymore,too many cowboys...........and sending it down south would take forever.
Thanks guys, your replies have been helpful.

Hagarr
21-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Yeah I know what you mean Benz I spent 15 years in the Automotive Machining Industry as they call it now (Engine Reconditioning back then) and there are only a couple of firms that I would trust with ANY of my machining.

Glad to see you got a result !!!