PDA

View Full Version : Battery advice

DiscoDan
16-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone who knows more about batteries and electrics can shed some light on this one for me: My wife's vespa has just trashed it's fourth battery in about two years which is starting to get annoying. The real issue is that it barely gets ridden and loses its charge (although that seems a lot worse now), won't start, doesn't get ridden, fucks the battery.

I know lead acid batteries don't like being heavily discharged, are there alternatives that will tolerate this kind of scooter-abuse but still have enough oomph when required? Should I just suck it up and ride the thing instead to keep it charged? Who invented liquid soap and why?

cheers, danny

BANDITROD
16-03-2009, 08:20 AM
you answered your own question mate if you let them sit they shit themselves.....and what breed of batt are you using ..i have found yuasa to be the best for that paticular type of life ...they will handle alot more abuse i.e. letting them discharge all the time and not riding very often..another problem solver is purchase a trickle charger and that will keep batt charged when not in use

DiscoDan
16-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Rod, I'm using a Yuasa (or three), god knows how many I'd have used if they were cheapies. I'm just trying to be lazy here and avoid having to charge the thing to be honest :) . Deep cycle batteries seems like one option but they're bloody expensive

Looks like I can't get around that one

OZ750L
16-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Have a look at http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GB9B-YB9-B-GEL-CYCLE-SCOOTER-BATTERY-HONDA-KAWA-VESPA_W0QQitemZ300283078774QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3523 0QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l126 2

Put a GB14L-A2 battery in my 90 GSXR750L and after being away 5 weeks at work, I came home and started it with just full choke and hitting the starter. Don't even bother disconnecting the battery cables anymore. They quote 2% per month self discharge properties.

Was using a Yuasa lead/acid prior to the gel and it would die every swing away. Got pissed off with having to recharge it after every swing back at work (4 weeks). Replaced it twice in 2 years. Use a Suzuki trickle charger/battery tender on the bikes in rotation now. Keeps the batteries alive at least.

See what you reckon.

DiscoDan
16-03-2009, 04:36 PM
That's exactly the advise I was looking for David, you're a champion. I'll pick up one of those, pretty good price, and see how it works.

cheers, danny

davio
16-03-2009, 06:16 PM
theres also the new chargers that will maintain a battery once charged, they even come with a plug that goes to ur battery so u dont have to lift the seat ,just pull and go

OZ750L
16-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Danny, glad I could help out.

Davio, yup. Got mine from Springwood Suzuki. They are branded Suzuki and there are 2 different models. Got the more expensive one and really pleased with it. It's got an inbuilt battery recovery function as well as being a battery tender and charger.

Anyone whose looking for something like that should fire a PM at Suzifreak. He can get his hands on something similar but I can't remember exactly what the name of it is. He's used them for ages and swears by them.

DiscoDan
16-03-2009, 10:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by davio

theres also the new chargers that will maintain a battery once charged, they even come with a plug that goes to ur battery so u dont have to lift the seat ,just pull and go

Nah, then I'd have to bring it in off the street and put it in the shed with the real bikes

Fish
16-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Ha Ha... scooters! Aww c'mon, 8 posts regarding scooters and not one piss take. What's wrong with yas?

ninjaboy
16-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I wish i could help you out mate, but i really don't know anything about liquid soap.

OZ750L
16-03-2009, 11:20 PM
It's not good form to kick a bloke when he's down... and scooters are pretty much as far down as you can get.

I suppose a Vespa gotta rate at least higher than a nifty fifty....

KRASH
17-03-2009, 06:51 AM
I love how you started off with ......
I bought a vestpa for my WIFE....LOL
I love it HAHAHA
as I recently bought a 250 for MY wife...and its a kawasaki (hangs head in shame.....[V])

DiscoDan
17-03-2009, 07:15 AM
aw fuggit, I'll bite:

Whilst I couldn't have it as my only bike, I do enjoy the Vespa and yes I do ride it more than the missus (it wouldn't be hard). It's slow and has the worst handling of any bike I've ever ridden but it makes you laugh when you ride it like a twat. It can fit a 6 pack and a bottle of bubbles (with ice) in the removable container under the seat and the chicks (and small kids admittedly) love it. In peak hour traffic it's quicker than the GSXR as it's got a turning circle of about 7 cm and it's great fun carving up pussies on their sportsbikes who aren't game to go for the nasty gaps.

Or am I trying just a little too hard to justify it......did I mention it's shit brown?

cheers, danny

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/83503320855283.jpeg