PDA

View Full Version : very odd gsxr 88 fuel tank question

dingo
14-03-2009, 07:41 PM
hi guys , heres a question you dont hear everyday, gunna KREEM the inside of my tank, filled it up with a heap of nice shiny nuts , bolts and screws to lift some of the crap off the inside , tipped em all out bar 1 screw, its stuck up the top breather bit,lol , has anyone cut a tank open and can tell me where the hole is so i can get it out? been trying to get it out for bout 3 hours now and my arms are bout to drop off.

Docktor
14-03-2009, 07:50 PM
thought the top breather screwed out ?. cant ya do that and poke a stick/wire/magnet in their and annoy it til it comes out ?.
did ya count em as ya put the bolts n stuff in ?. i wouldna thought of counting em, ......... doh

dingo
14-03-2009, 07:59 PM
way too many to count ,haha , i just poured shitloads in. i already have the breather out, doesnt even seem to be getting to there, its like there is an 'S' bend or something in there, feel like a kid trying to get the last coin out of the piggy to go get a lollie

dingo
14-03-2009, 09:55 PM
feel like arnie but its out now, was just at the end of my patience and had to ask. had so many questions latly i should just start a build thread O_o . i wont start a new topic but if anyone reads this will my '88 front wheel/brakes fit on a '91 USD frontend?

Seifer
14-03-2009, 10:09 PM
tie em all to a string like a necklace in future.

dingo
14-03-2009, 10:18 PM
was gunna rope a chain but i figered it wouldnt get into the corners, knowing my luck it would have turned into one massive knot inside the tank even though the rope is spose to prevent that.

latheboy
15-03-2009, 09:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by dingo

feel will my '88 front wheel/brakes fit on a '91 USD frontend?

Yer .... You will need the axle and spacers from the USD front end tho.....

dingo
15-03-2009, 09:52 AM
thanks latheboy, i had done a lot of searching and reading lastnight to try and find out , found lots of different combo's
but none to suit what i needed. i can get the axle and spacers, i take it the bearings are the same size and will my speedo assy. fit?

ralph
15-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Tip em all back in and shake like shit lol

dingo
15-03-2009, 12:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

Tip em all back in and shake like shit lol

i almost did,lol

bout to put the liner in now, anyone used this stuff , and how long did they let it cure before they filled it up?

ralph
15-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Havent done it but very interested to see how it goes..

dingo
15-03-2009, 02:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

Havent done it but very interested to see how it goes..

will let you all know ralph, seems to be good so far, it came up quite nice after the acid stuff considering the amount of rust and size of the tank, swirling the liner round now , seems to be thinner than i thought and is hard to coat the sharper edges, see how it goes anyway.:)

OZ750L
15-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Need the axle from the USD F/E but wheel, R/H spacer and speedo drive from the 88 swap straight in.

Did you get the clip-ons and front guard as well as you will need them.

Any of the hydraulic shops around Mackay should be able to rechrome them.

Have a look at the manual and strip them down. When you have the lower leg out, remove the small grub screw from the inside face in the bottom alloy section of the lower fork leg. Clamp the leg into a vise by the bottom alloy section and warm around the point where the chrome tube goes into the alloy bottom with a heat gun. Get it hot enough do break the loctite free. Then, use a strap wrench or similar and screw the chrome tube out. Do the same to the other. If you can't do it, the hydraulic shop might be able to do it just tell them about the grub screw and loctite. Hope this helps ya.

dingo
15-03-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi OZ, dunno bout the front guard , may try and sort something else out there, and i got some dirt squirter fat bars and risers, once i get more of an idea where it is that im heading i will definatly use your advise. talked to a few people here and they dont seem to do it for the public anymore, may just be talking to the wrong people too, i will keep searching, still a while off for that yet.