PDA

View Full Version : question of curiosity.

opindown
12-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I wanna put a gixxer 1100 92 model tank on my 89 gixxer 750.
can anyone tell me, will this fitt with out to many dramas. the bolt mounts will probly have to be moved from where i got them now. but are there gonna be any other issues?

latheboy
12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Its unpossible;)

opindown
12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Its unpossible;)

thanks latheboy. hang on whaaa! not quite following

OZ750L
12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Can be done but not without mods to the rear tank mount on the subframe.

Knew I'd seen it somewhere so searched "tanks" on OldSkoolSuzuki Oil Cooled forum.

Found the reply below from metallicaman. Can't back it up so just going with what he said.

quote:The tank on my 750WR (94) is slightly longer/deeper at the back than the one on my 750M (92)....

To fit the WR tank I need to remove the tank mount bracket on the M and set a new mount bracket lower on the subframe....

plus the actual tabs on the WR tank are a lot closer together than the M ones...

Won't matter if your changing the seat subframe, just get the mounts made to suit whatever tank you're using..

Also, someone reckoned there might be an issue with the fuel tap fouling.....

opindown
12-03-2009, 04:32 PM
thanks for that OZ750L. i will have to keep an eye out for a tank now. there minght be a few other mods that the tank might receive before it goes on the bike.

bluemk1
12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
can i just ask why you would want to do this? am i missing some sort of awesome benifits of performing such a swap?

you know once you run out of petrol you dont need to do a tank swap, you can just fill up at a servo [:o)]

JackTar
12-03-2009, 08:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

you know once you run out of petrol you dont need to do a tank swap, you can just fill up at a servo [:o)]

Fucking gold Blue :D

opindown
12-03-2009, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

can i just ask why you would want to do this? am i missing some sort of awesome benifits of performing such a swap?

Really..... it is that simple? why didnt someone say something sooner [:0] all this time i have been replacing the fuel tank when it is empty.....[:0][:o)]

no as mentioned above they sit back a little further, and are a little more narrow at the point where the seat meets the tank. I have a gap there because i have just put the 04 R1 tail on the bike. I am hopeing by putting on a 1100 tank i wont have to get the seat modified to fill the gap.

bluemk1
12-03-2009, 08:58 PM
sounds like it would be easier to mod the seat rather than adapt a tank but thats only what i think and i know less than nothing [:o)]

i only stumbled upon the re-filling tank thing a few weeks ago myself :D

latheboy
13-03-2009, 06:19 AM
You should know buy now that anything will fit you just have to want it to.....
Why dont you do what CBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR did and add material (fiberglass or bog?) to the tank to fill the gap...

opindown
13-03-2009, 07:49 AM
I have been talking to Jon about that. I am looking at doin something similar. but i wanna fill the gap at the top of the seat. if there aint any tanks out there that anyone is willing to part with then looks like i will be doin some glassing

opindown
13-03-2009, 08:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

You should know buy now that anything will fit you just have to want it to.....
Why dont you do what CBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR did and add material (fiberglass or bog?) to the tank to fill the gap...

Thats a good point latheboy. "anything will fit you just have to want it to" well if i can get a 1100 tank i will make it fit