PDA

View Full Version : What chain?

Disturbed_Dave
11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm looking at replacing my chain as well as the sprockets, just not too sure what to get.

I'm thinking the RK XW-Ring (525GXW), I can get it for $290, or $320 in gold.

What drive chain do you guys run?

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 05:10 PM
whatever you do dont buy an ebay chain if you dont believe me i will post pics and you can get a did chain for 150bucks in gold and it is just as good as an rk IMO

Disturbed_Dave
11-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah wouldnt be buying an Ebay one. Haha..

The type im looking at (DID and RK), are both around the $300 mark. They are X-ring chains, a lot more suitable to the punishment it will receive :P

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2009, 05:48 PM
I will never get an RK again.

Paid $280 for an RK GB530GXW
And the bloody thing fucked out within a couple of thousand Kms. I have replaced one completely seized link and have at least three other tight spots still in it. A complete piece of shit.

opindown
11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

whatever you do dont buy an ebay chain if you dont believe me i will post pics and you can get a did chain for 150bucks in gold and it is just as good as an rk IMO

post pics Rod.

Deano
11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
always replace sprockets with chain. correct chain maintenace is the key to long life.

i new chain on fucked sprockets will end in a fucked chain aswell. dosn't matter how much you pay for your chain or what brand it is.

i have put a tsubaki on the turbo bike. about 180 odd from memory

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
this chain was the biggest peice of shit ever but i coul;dnt afford a good one ate the time so i tried out this fucker from ebay and here is the end result it broke like this in 4 spots and has fucked rollers everywhere and before you ask yes it was lubed and yes it was adjusted properly
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/95979049597164.jpg

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
and yeah what ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^deano said

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2009, 06:07 PM
I ALWAYS replace sprockets when I replace the chain and am on the verge of anal when it comes to maintenance. That is what has pissed me off the most. I have no idea why it is so fucked...

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
i had the same chain as you cruise and it was shit mate i couldnt believe i paid so much for a peice of crap

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
i just brought and x-ring from my local it is a did and it only cost 149.99 mate so make sure your not getting ripped off and also the chain i got from the bay cost 95bucks and the result is up there^^^^^^^^^^

Large
11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
eGay is full of dodgy cunts selling cheap chinese knockoffs.

I reckon we should invade china. None of their consumer goods work...I doubt their military shit is any better

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
i am up for that maybe rocket will join us cos he is into slanty chicks aswell large

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I always thought you got exactly what you paid for with this type of thing but now I am not so sure.

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

eGay is full of dodgy cunts selling cheap chinese knockoffs.

I reckon we should invade china. None of their consumer goods work...I doubt their military shit is any better

Our weapons were also made by the lowest bidder...

opindown
11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
mate that is fucked right and royally. note to self. never buy chain off ebay

davio
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
hey cruise i just put an rk on mine ,why do u say theyre no good?

Cruisecontrol
11-03-2009, 06:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

I will never get an RK again.

Paid $280 for an RK GB530GXW
And the bloody thing fucked out within a couple of thousand Kms. I have replaced one completely seized link and have at least three other tight spots still in it. A complete piece of shit.

I am fastidious when it comes to maintenance and this thing needed replacing within 4,000kms.

Large
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
maybe you put it on back to front?

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 06:58 PM
mine was the same as cruise's davio ....not the one in pic but the chain i had before that was an rk and it cost me a fortune $310 if i remember correctly and it was junk it kept binding up after a 150klm ride it was shit

bluemk1
11-03-2009, 07:27 PM
must be because of all the power the bandits put out [:0]

the lesser bikes can probably get away with using those chains though [:o)]

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 07:38 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahaha yeah well it does seem to be that way doesnt it

rod185651
11-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Every time I see RK stickers on swing arms I laugh cause I reckon they are shite

Disturbed_Dave
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Points taken into consideration. As per my first post, I am replacing both chain and sprockets (Not cause either of them are in bad condition, but cause I would like to start ownership of this bike fresh, with new parts).

I have had good recommendations on both RK and DID, but might do my research on RK now.

Both RK and DID have their $150, $230 and $300 chains, those being O-ring, X-ring and 'the superior' X-ring respectively.

Personally, I would like to shy away from O-rings, for the hope of longer chain life (with correct maintenance of course).

On the topic of sprockets, are there any brands to stay away from? or preferred brands? It is obviously best to opt for a steel sprocket as opposed to alloy for strength purposes.

If it makes any difference to either cause, I ride a ZX6R

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
mate you would be very surprised how long a alloy one will last i have a vortex rear on mine which is alloy and hard anodised and it is tough as fuck just make sure when you go for alloy that it is hard anodised or it wont last long and in all seriousness i can only see you needing an xw-ring chain for race aplication ...but thats just my opinion

TurboKat
11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I can recommend DID chains, I used to work for the importer so got a new X ring chain & JT sprocket set for my TLS & XR 650 at the same time.
The 530 (aka 50) on the TL did 18k kms while I had it & they were wheelie hard kms ;) trackdays, drags, you name it & it was still perfect when I sold it. (I used to be like CC with chain maintenence)
The 520 on the XR did about 6 - 7000 kms of 70% dirt & 30% motard riding & the rollers were just starting to get loose when I sold that so I reckon they're a bloody good thing.
I'm REALLY surprised that the big $$ RK chains flogged out so quick, I've got a couple of new ones of those (XW ring - supposedly top of the line) for my fighter & my racebike to go on soon, I hope I get a better run out of them than you guys have.
Sprocket alignment is as important to long chain life as proper adjustment & lubrication - a bit of angle or flat bar will do for checking.
As an aside, when I worked in the city, we sold a few of those gold Ebay chains (I think the brand name was Competition something) to bike couriers - a mob that are notoriously hard on chains & not known for their bike maintenence - & they raved about them !! One guy had an SV 650 & another an XT 660 & I remember them saying they had better life out of them than 'brand name' chains. Who knows?
I've never used one but I've been telling people the courier stories & saying they're a good thing but after seeing Rod's pic, I'll keep my mouth shut from now on.

Disturbed_Dave
11-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I've never had any problems with DID for my motocross days, so they might be a good choice. I've had a trusted local mechanic suggest RK also, and they swear that they've heard nothing but good things about them.
I think in the end, I'll just have to take whatever information is at hand, then dive headfirst into it.

I was thinking the XW was a bit of overkill, but was thinking for longetivity only. However, with an upcoming holiday + other bits I want to change over on the bike, I might settle for the standard X-ring chain with whatever sprockets I end up buying, then its time to buy my Pazzo levers!! - By that time my SpeedoHealer should have arrived.

BANDITROD
11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
i only use x-ring now mate and they last about the same amount of time as the others and i think you have yourself sorted mate so i will piss off and leave you alone

Disturbed_Dave
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
No worries mate... All advice/feedback is more than welcome.
I'm only new to the road scene, so i'm sure there'll be a few more questions ;)

Cheers for the input