PDA

View Full Version : Question for GIX11

jakam04
12-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Hey Mate,

Can I ask you a question or two bout your beast?

What is the tail assembly on your bike at moment? are different tail assemblies easy to put on with minimal modifications? or are there a few tail assemblies that fit straight on. Did your beast start out as a 7/11? or was it a GSXR1100.

Talk soon

Jakam

Gix11
12-10-2006, 03:50 PM
It started life as a stock standard '89 GSXR1100.

I have a photo somewhere of the day it rolled into my garage 8 years ago but I can't find it. Here is an intrim stage about 4 years ago:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/64965086077613.jpg

The tail unit you see on it now is a '98 model R1 from the wreckers. The pillion seat cover is a shitty one off ebay. The undertray is S/S cut to shape by me with a grinder (wearing an ultra thin wheel - the ginder that is, not me). The subframe is custom made from steel tubes in a shed over 2-3 weeks and many rums. The frame lugs were cut from billet aluminium and welded on to accept it (done at a reputable aluminium welding company who did an awesome job, which is good as I didn't want to take any chances) and now bob's your uncle. The custom subframe is a major effort but it does mean I can have the tail shorter than normal (i.e. the back wheel sits out further than the rear of the tail unit) by creating the subframe around the plastic positioning rather than the plastics being positioned based on the way the standard subframe mounts (if you understand what I mean). The bottom line is, if you want a total custom tail unit you are going to have to cut your original subframe off. If this sounds like too much drama then you can get bolt on pieces with minimal mods but I'm buggered if I can find the website. Tony will know where they are from magazine adverts. The only downside is they don't stick up really high due to the subframe not being high. Here's how mine looks from another angle:

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/degen.jpg

12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/64965111371672.jpg

rat fighter[:0]

12-10-2006, 08:02 PM
to Streetfighter.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/64965111379390.jpg

its called Inspiration;)

badvan
12-10-2006, 08:41 PM
verry keen! :)

Davo got my mail?

12-10-2006, 09:02 PM
No m8,please send it again,as im been waiting

jakam04
13-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your replies guys. Luckily my GSXR11 has a bolt on rear subframe so there wont be any cutting. My plans are that no mods will be done that cant be reversed without noticeable damage.

I think the only prob is that most of these street fighters on here from GSXR lineage are oil cooled where as my GSXR is water cooled. I have to deal with radiator and oil cooler in front of a nice set of pipes.

jakam

Gix11
13-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Mate. Here's some advice. You either do it ALL or you have a half hearted effort. All this converting back rubbish keeps coming up with newbies here. Why convert it at all if you only want to convert it back to normal in the end anyway? You end up with a bike that "Will do" rather than what you want, and if you are only converting it back for re-sale and the next guy, then when does it become YOUR bike? I had some guy offer me twice what I paid for my bike recently at the Gold Coast Bike Show - Who says 'Fightering a bike is detrimental to it's value?

As for being water cooled - no worries mate! Check this out:http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3025

Tone
13-10-2006, 09:15 PM
quote: Mate. Here's some advice. You either do it ALL or you have a half hearted effort. All this converting back rubbish keeps coming up with newbies here. Why convert it at all if you only want to convert it back to normal in the end anyway? You end up with a bike that "Will do" rather than what you want, and if you are only converting it back for re-sale and the next guy, then when does it become YOUR bike?
Nicely put there Gix.It does you good to make a decision you have to live with...no point in going half the hog or having an escape route!
I sat looking at all the fairing bits I pulled off,thinking should I keep them for...like 10 seconds.What do I need them for,sell em to someone who wants em and put the money into what you really want(thanks Iceman).Don't um and ahh about what you think you want,you'll end up an expert in indecisiveness.

fimpBIKES
14-10-2006, 01:35 AM
some of us poor bastards have to have yearly rego inspections mate

Gix11
14-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Jak's up here as well. But regardless of that, I'm sure Stu and Ben have to go through the same thing and they have it covered (or am I wrong?) There's not a lot of changing back going on with their bikes!

jakam04
14-10-2006, 08:16 PM
After that attitude re-adjustment lol... I guess I didnt think of the ability to raise funds by selling off the old parts for new parts.. I noticed most of you guys have the un-braced swingarms, is that just coincidence or by choice? Is there any need for wheel huggers for Road use as thought there was a requirement. I also have noticed that Mr Gix11 doesnt have one.

You will have to forgive my silly questions on occasion. Although I loved reading the old "Australian Performance Streetbike" and dreamt of building my own, I guess its just a tad more real now I have something worthy of converting. Mind you, I still dont know why the hell they stopped printing that mag as it was awesome.

Jakam

Slingblade
15-10-2006, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

some of us poor bastards have to have yearly rego inspections mate

Take it to Jamie at Bikecare fimp. He has a new Speed Triple and seems to have a soft spot for fighters. Even sorting out a better mount for my digital dash when it was there for Dynotuning without being asked and not charging me for it. He only does bike pinkslips.