PDA

View Full Version : Machining swingarm pivot width (EXBEN?:)

EFE 1230
07-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Has anyone shaved the swingarm pivot tube down to fit between the frame? The trumpy arm I scored for the efie is about 2 1/2" wider than the frame. Would machining an equal amount from each side then welding in new machined bearing holders to suit the effie spindle work?
Can it be done?

OZ750L
07-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Might pay to check that the pivot tube is centred on the centreline of the wheel first.

Need a straight edge and the wheel bolted into place to do it. Starting on one side, run the straight edge across the width of the wheel so it touches at front and back while crossing the pivot tube. Mark along the straight edge across the pivot tube and then measure from the straight edge to the end of the pivot tube on the same side of the wheel. Repeat for the other side. Halfway between the marks you made will be the centreline of the wheel and 1/2 the difference between the measurements to the ends of the pivot tubes is the amount of offset.

Should be able to sort it out from there.

EFE 1230
07-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Cheers for that OZ, found a pic that shows what I'm on about, a trumpy arm being skimmed to fit a TLS frame.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/17695397834387.jpg

07-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Have you had a look at oldskool yet, bound to be someone over there who's done that or something similar

EFE 1230
07-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, search wouldn't work so I gave up after 100 pages!! lol

BWIAN
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
A bit of an idea for you.....ive just widened my EF Swingarm by grinding down the inner "Pivot Dowels" in the chassis, it gave me approx another 22mm in width.

latheboy
07-03-2009, 10:26 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3278&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=latheboy's,toy
I cut about 35mm off a VFR800 SSSA to fit the gsxr, anything can be done you just have to want it bad enought

EFE 1230
07-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Just grind them down back to the frame so their gone/flat??
Did the frame need any plating or welding?
Who did you get to widen the arm, do they do machining too??

Looks like I'll need new mounts for the dogbones on the frame as well, don't like my chances trying to get "Snowy" to have a go he's getting pretty crotchety in his old age!lol might have to get "Steve" in the hills to have a look.

EFE 1230
07-03-2009, 10:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3278&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=latheboy's,toy
I cut about 35mm off a VFR800 SSSA to fit the gsxr, anything can be done you just have to want it bad enought

Did taking 35mm off affect where the pivot bearings sit?

Without yet taken everything apart it looks like machining the trumpy arm down will bite into where the bearings sit so new races would need to be made then welded into place.

I gotta fit it now coz BANDITROD knows I have it!!lol

WATEVR
08-03-2009, 12:14 AM
getting out of snowys on the same day you go in there is a challenge in itself!! is Steve the guy at Maccasfield??

BWIAN
08-03-2009, 12:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by EFE 1230

Just grind them down back to the frame so their gone/flat??
Did the frame need any plating or welding?
Who did you get to widen the arm, do they do machining too??

Looks like I'll need new mounts for the dogbones on the frame as well, don't like my chances trying to get "Snowy" to have a go he's getting pretty crotchety in his old age!lol might have to get "Steve" in the hills to have a look.

Ok, you guys are well behind the times.....:)
Firstly, i ground down my pivot dowels basically so that i got maximum width from my swing arm, i even went as far as tidying up some of the welding in the area so as to get maximum clearence!
As for cutting/re welding the arm.....i made a billett piece of alloy to slot into the arm, and had it re-welded, currently my chassis is at Trevor Birrels workshop so i cant post any pictures of it tonight, (plus im too pissed to worry about it anyways :D ).

When it comes to fabrication and welding here in Adelaide you can forget about Snowy, ( ive known him for years, and he's a great bloke), but nowadays you need to get in touch with Sam Scerri, Sam is an ex Pro Stock Bike rider, he used to ride for Trevor Birrell on the Dutchmaster Pro Bike, he does wicked work and knows his shit, he is currently doing all of my engineering and welding for me, i wouldnt go to anyone else!!

Sam Scerri.
"Tig On Welding"
Unit 13/2 Gray Street,
Kilkenny, SA, 5009.

gixkat
08-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Sounds like Sam's the man with that endorsement!

latheboy
08-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Without yet taken everything apart it looks like machining the trumpy arm down will bite into where the bearings sit so new races would need to be made then welded into place.

I did machine off the original possitions of the bearings and reborred them both sides.
Do a measure and check for chain alginment and wheel center

BANDITROD
09-03-2009, 12:41 AM

mwaahahahahahahahahahahahaha i knew you couldnt help yourself