PDA

View Full Version : Will 01 to 06 shocks fit a 89 Gsxr 750.

opindown
07-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Had a look at http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/ and they seem like they will. they are exactly the same according to that. just wanna make sure.
lenghts is slightly different. I know but has anyone tried to fit one?
Reason being. mine is old, rusty and has the canister on the end of a long arse hose.

OZ750L
07-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Yep, it will.

Tone
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Read somewhere (possibly OSS) that the showas off cbr 600 is a straight swap also.

03gixxerpilot
10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
opindown the late model gixxer shocks will fit, i have done this to an 88 750 ( same chassis )
there are TWO things that you need to do in order to achieve this

1st you will need to manufacture a 10mm spacer plate to fit behind the top shocky mount, this will provide the clearence nessasary for the shock to clear the chassis and swingarm assembly.

2nd you will need to move the battery box as the top of the shocky will foul on it. I turned the battery box around (ie backwards) and this achived the desired result.

There are proberly better ways of remounting the battery but this was done of a mate that didn't want to spend any more money.

chopaweeza
10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
The bit about Showa's off a CBR600 is bullshit. I have one and the lower mount on the shock is way too wide. Needs to be machined down to come close.

03gixxerpilot
10-03-2009, 08:33 PM
yer i agree with chopp i have tryed the same thing with the cbr600 shock and what chopp sayes is correct. plus you are much better off with the late model gixxer shock.

opindown
10-03-2009, 09:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by 03gixxerpilot

opindown the late model gixxer shocks will fit, i have done this to an 88 750 ( same chassis )
there are TWO things that you need to do in order to achieve this

1st you will need to manufacture a 10mm spacer plate to fit behind the top shocky mount, this will provide the clearence nessasary for the shock to clear the chassis and swingarm assembly.

2nd you will need to move the battery box as the top of the shocky will foul on it. I turned the battery box around (ie backwards) and this achived the desired result.

There are proberly better ways of remounting the battery but this was done of a mate that didn't want to spend any more money.

I should be right in regards to the battery box as i now have a R1 tail on my bike and there is shit loads of room now. but i will probably still need the 10mm spacer though. Thanks for that 03gixxerpilot. i will be keeping an eye out for a 01-06 shock now.

OZ750L
10-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Opindown,

Go have a look in the Oil Cooled section of gixxer.com. This has been a hot topic of late. The shocks are CBR600RR shocks from 03-06 (313mm) and same with the gixxer shock with apparently 01-07 (325mm to 332mm) shocks being used with a spacer as 03 mentions. Extra length of the gixxer shocks helps kick the arse of the 88-91 gixxers up a bit and improves the handling. Can also fab an adjustable top mount to use in there as well. Oldskool has dimensions for the adjuster and a table for shock lengths. Spinning the battery box around backwards or just lifting the battery 1/4" to 3/8" with a couple of rubber strips underneath seems to be the way to solve the clash.

General comment on the CBR600RR shock conversion is that the spring is too hard and needs to be down rated from around 11kg/mm to somewhere between 8 & 9lkg/mm.

Try a search in gixxer.com in the Oil Cooled forum with CBR600RR and shock in the "Search this forum" box. Should cover most of what you need to know. See how you get on. Could always rebuild the original too.

opindown
11-03-2009, 08:39 AM
thanks for that OZ750L

HueyonaBlade
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
No they wont you need to sell them to me [:I]

opindown
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by HueyonaBlade

No they wont you need to sell them to me [:I]

I would but i aint got one yet. i wanted to make sure that it could be done before i bought one. I will be buying one soon to throw on.