PDA

View Full Version : Best place for Reregisterable Write offs

Slingblade
09-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Whats the best place to look for reregisterable write offs. I have looked at Blacktown Motorcycle Disposals but is there anywhere else on the net??

Is it just me or do they expect a fairly hefty price for some pretty fucked up bits of metal. I was surprised how high some of the minimum bid prices were.

ozkat
09-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Try here http://www.fowles.com.au/ or http://www.pickles.com.au/

Hillsy
09-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Fowles seem to have a higher volume of bikes coming through - and yes, prices can vary because they're all auctioned. The disposals mobs get the bulk of their repairable write-off stock from Fowles and re-sell with inflated price tags. I not sure if you can hear the bikes running before you buy, but if you can that's a plus (Fowles won't let you do that).

There's a Fowles auction in Bris tomorrow.

Slingblade
09-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks fellas.

So whats the go with them. If you buy one to fighter do you have to have a full fairing on to re register them, or do they only have to be road worthy? Engineers cert?

Hillsy
09-10-2006, 11:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Boris_the_Blade

Thanks fellas.

So whats the go with them. If you buy one to fighter do you have to have a full fairing on to re register them, or do they only have to be road worthy? Engineers cert?

I think the inspection offices are mainly after a listing of legitimate replacement parts. If you have a Safety Cert / Engineers Cert for any modifications this should suffice (I had a engineers cert for my solo seat mod and it wasn't questioned).
They must, however, compare your parts receipts with the insurance / damage report, because I forgot to give them a receipt for my muffler and they asked me for it (there was no muffler on the ZX9 when I got it). They also made me fill out a stat dec for repairs I did myself (plastic welding, painting, etc).

There's a sticky in the advice folder about repairing write-off bikes for QLD - should be the same process for other states (prices might be different).

Cruisecontrol
09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
N.S.W re-registration is fairly simple. I only had to show receipts for the replacement parts and get a blue slip to make sure it was roadworthy. I did everything myself and didn't need any stat decs or engineers certs. One good tip I got was to take a stack of photos of all the damage before you fix it and take them in with you to show what has been done.

Hillsy
10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

N.S.W re-registration is fairly simple. I only had to show receipts for the replacement parts and get a blue slip to make sure it was roadworthy. I did everything myself and didn't need any stat decs or engineers certs. One good tip I got was to take a stack of photos of all the damage before you fix it and take them in with you to show what has been done.

Hey cruiseControl,

Did you repair the bike to stock or did you modify / fighter it before inspection?

Cruisecontrol
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I fightered it straight away.
Couldn't see the point in replacing all the damaged plastics when they were not staying anyway.
The bloke that did the blue slip inspection didn't have much of an idea about bikes so it was all good.:D

aslp
30-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi mate I by lot of bike from Motorcycle desposals repair them and sell them.All bike are in a one condition you just got to get the wright ones

Gix11
30-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Welcome Joe. Why not do an introduction in the "Welcome to the madness" section and tell the guys about some of your rebuilds?

Razorback
01-07-2008, 12:47 PM
http://motorcycledisposals.com.au/

Bear
01-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Here's some traps/tips for young players:

If it's a modern sports bike with ECU, make sure the bike has a key, if not, add another $1000 to your costs for 2nd hand replacement key/immoboliser/ECU.

Look for a relatively common model, then you'll be able to source 2nd hand parts much easier and cheaper.

As a streetfighter base, look for a bike with a lot of damaged plastic - you don't need it and people who want to restore will avoid it.

Look at the tyre wear - that gives a lot away on what sort of rider the previous crash-test-dummy was.

My advice is to look for frame and subframe integrity with a good engine. Everything else is either repairable, replaceable or modifiable (is that a word?) as a streetfighter and you don't need the original plastics to re-register.

Everything is repairable/replaceable on modern bikes but these tips will keep costs down. :D