PDA

View Full Version : Suggest me a job.

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 06:21 PM
i know this sounds like a stupid/crazy idea but im willing to try it and see where this goes.

everyone is probably aware of the supposed financial crisis unless you have been living under a rock recently. in light of this my job is not looking very secure as we have had lots of cutbacks within our orginisation so im looking for a way out. before it comes to crunch time.

now i could go about this a sensible way but where is the fun in that? what im looking at doing is applying for jobs that sound cool and interesting that i may or may not be able to do with my current skills but im hoping i can fudge my way through it as im a pretty handy bloke and im guessing most places will give me some form of training before they let me loose on the fancy machinery.

as i have absolutely no cnc machining experiance im going to apply for this job after doing some googling on the subject and hope to at least get a trial to see what the deal is. im thinking how hard can it actually be?

http://mycareer.com.au/consumer/find/job/view.aspx?jobid=6881432&

can anyone see why this is going to become an apic failure or should i just go for it?
any suggestions for jobs that are fairly easy to google study?

im willing to hear out everyones opinions, unless your suggestions are along the lines of 'go sell your arse on oxford st'

and here is a free bit of advise - if you own onesteel shares then sell them now before things get any worse. i tip them to go bellow $1 in the next 3-6 months [:0]

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 06:23 PM
One steel are sacking people as we speak
Friends who work for em are getting made redundant

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 06:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by Weaselman

One steel are sacking people as we speak
Friends who work for em are getting made redundant

exactly why i am looking for alternative employment
where are your friends working?

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 06:37 PM
up in newcastle in processing

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 06:41 PM
not a good time for the steel and manufacturing industries apparently.
funny though as onesteel has posted a record profit in the first 1/2 of this year.
makes you wonder how they can justify all these cutbacks.

or alternatively im willing to go for jobs that i can actually do if anyone has anything available for a warehouse storeman/forklift driver/labourer/macine operator/team leader/ill do just about anything that pays my bills and buys me bike bits :D

Tony OW31
26-02-2009, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by bluemk1

i know this sounds like a stupid/crazy idea but im willing to try it and see where this goes.

everyone is probably aware of the supposed financial crisis unless you have been living under a rock recently. in light of this my job is not looking very secure as we have had lots of cutbacks within our orginisation so im looking for a way out. before it comes to crunch time.

now i could go about this a sensible way but where is the fun in that? what im looking at doing is applying for jobs that sound cool and interesting that i may or may not be able to do with my current skills but im hoping i can fudge my way through it as im a pretty handy bloke and im guessing most places will give me some form of training before they let me loose on the fancy machinery.

as i have absolutely no cnc machining experiance im going to apply for this job after doing some googling on the subject and hope to at least get a trial to see what the deal is. im thinking how hard can it actually be?

http://mycareer.com.au/consumer/find/job/view.aspx?jobid=6881432&

can anyone see why this is going to become an apic failure or should i just go for it?
any suggestions for jobs that are fairly easy to google study?

im willing to hear out everyones opinions, unless your suggestions are along the lines of 'go sell your arse on oxford st'

and here is a free bit of advise - if you own onesteel shares then sell them now before things get any worse. i tip them to go bellow $1 in the next 3-6 months [:0]

For a start the salary looks a bit low[:0].
Speaking as someone who employs cnc operators, it depends on the level of responsibility required by the employer. if they just require a button pusher, and someone else does all the setting, then you are right "how hard can it be" but if they require what it says in the ad, ie cnc machinist and die setting as an essential, even if you bullshit your way through to getting the job, all you are going to do is cause a shit load of very expensive damage to someone elses machine.

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 07:08 PM
thanks for that tony :)

exactly the sort of advice i was after.
i realise i cant actually do the settings, but like you said if its just a button pusher then i can probably work it :D

might do some more investigating on this.

im guessing a tafe crash course is out of the question as it would be some sort of engineering course that would be more than 12 months in duration?

CBRRRT
26-02-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm in construction and I was made redundant 2 weeks before Christmas. The job sites I have visited tell you how many people have applied for that job.

I have a superb C.V. and excellent references. I am looking for a job as a construction site manager.

For each job I apply for there is an adverage of 160 other aplicants.

I have been using my savings to pay my mortgauge and other bills, and when that money has gone I'm fucked. I will get no help from the government and I will loose the house I have spent the last 20 years paying for.

But it goes on. Because the housing market has had the bottom fall out of it I am probbably in negative equity and after I loose my house I will still owe the bank £20,000.

My advice......................

Stay where you are untill you are pushed.

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by CBRRRT

My advice......................

Stay where you are untill you are pushed.

in the ideal situation that is my plan, problem is our site is at least 4 ppl overstaffed so the reality is someone WILL be going in the next month or 2. i will stick it out till the end but looking at other options so i know what i am up against if and when the time comes.

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 07:26 PM
god loves the transport industry
but unless your experenced they wont touch you

unless you get a shit kicker metro job

Cruisecontrol
26-02-2009, 07:32 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/82686467219264.jpg

Government jobs can't be beat in times of economic uncertainty.
If you have a bike license, you are a shoe-in...

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Fuck off
I applied and heard nothing... Same with alot of people and that stupid fucking internet rego system they have

Cruisecontrol
26-02-2009, 07:41 PM
The biggest problem is that they have out-sourced the recruitment system which has created ridiculous delays in the processing of applications.

Patience is a virtue, young man...

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 07:43 PM
hahaha like being back in the army.

I'll prolly go back to line haul though

latheboy
26-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Go and do as many interviews as you can just for the expierance of the interview... that will go a long way for when you really need it...
The steel trade is up and down, i know people who are fucked and others are flat out and cant keep up... weird.... and most are just hanging in, I'm in the steel trade and can see whats happening to the world around me.... I'm not looking for a job because i'm safe, i got told ill be the last out the door if it ever comes to it... but still its a bad time ...

I got a job offer a couple of weeks ago, closer to home different stuff so thats interesting but as a starting wage i was told i'd be on $35K ... [:0] and i said thanks but i wouldn't get out of bed for that money... Unfortunatly that may change in years to come if the shit really hits the fan, one day we might be working for pennies....

If i had to move id try and get into the public system.

Large
26-02-2009, 07:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Cruisecontrol

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/82686467219264.jpg

Government jobs can't be beat in times of economic uncertainty.
If you have a bike license, you are a shoe-in...

Unless you're carrying a bit of winter weight.

The cunts are obesist[V]

It's not like they couldn't afford to put me on a CR500 for the job although people might start whinging about their nature strips[:p]:D

Cruisecontrol
26-02-2009, 07:49 PM
They have actually relaxed their size requirements and upped the limit to 100kg.

Luckily I am not on a bike much anymore...

Lucas
26-02-2009, 07:49 PM
You could always drive hookers around. Knock shops are always looking for delivery drivers/bodyguards. Pretty shit job though.

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 07:51 PM
youd know too heartbreaker LOL

BANDITROD
26-02-2009, 07:52 PM
the steel industrie is fucked for me at the mo i am out of work along with 15 others that i know in my area it is shithouse ...that stupid fucking thing we call a prime minister shouldnt keep going on and on about the recession it really wont hit home till further down the track and all this talk has got people running scared hence all the employment cutbacks fucking K rudd you my freind are a fucking dead set wanker

Lucas
26-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Lance is the heartbreaker[:p]

Weaselman
26-02-2009, 07:56 PM
DAMMIT

wackyrider
26-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Well I work in the Petro-chemical industry. We overhaul and machine new parts for valves. In fact we do work for One Steel as well (not good if they're on their way down)... Was looking a bit bad lately but was talking to one of the supervisors and he was saying that the future for the company was looking good???!! Go figure. We must have just gotten another deal...

I was away (home) for 2 months and when i came back they had fired 1 person (who was useless) but had employed 2 new Tradesmen and 2 apprentices!!! So guess my job should be safe for now...

But fuck knows what 2morrow will bring...

Lucas
26-02-2009, 08:25 PM
On a serious note I suggest Corrections. The main requirement is a decent crim check and an ability not to fuck up in a psych test.

I'm hopefully about to start. The more the economy fails the more people will give into tempation to sell this, hold up that. Corrections is going to boom me thinks, plus it pays pretty well too!

opindown
26-02-2009, 08:33 PM
I to am in the unemployed boat at the moment with a 10week old. i in total have applied for over 50 positions in the last 5 weeks and havnt heard boo. these are jobs that a momkey could do. (i think thats half the problem) all the other unemployed people are going for them as well.

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 08:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by wackyrider
In fact we do work for One Steel as well (not good if they're on their way down)... Was looking a bit bad lately but was talking to one of the supervisors and he was saying that the future for the company was looking good???!! Go figure. We must have just gotten another deal...

sounds like you do work on the mining machines?
probably very dif to the manufacturing side of things.

i have considered postie work before but the fact that ou get payed sweet fuck all really isnt a great incentive, if it comes to it then sure ill go there but at the moment im not THAT desperate :D

how does one become a driver for a knock shop and whats the rate of pay? [8D]

and you say corrections huh?
whats the requirments and what sort of pay are we talking about?

Lucas
26-02-2009, 08:41 PM
In the ACT you'd be looking at around 65+ with shift penalties, although I knew a bloke years back that was pulling 110 working in a Gaol in Alice springs, musta been plenty of overtime though.

http://www.cs.act.gov.au/employment Link with info for the ACT

Docktor
26-02-2009, 09:12 PM
dont get into the transport side of things, i know a shitload of forkies and most of been cut back to 7 hour days, (we usually work 10). and some even got 4 day weeks. nothin comin in means nothin to unload.......... all the casual drivers been laid off. our own drivers are usually done by midday too. maybe sell drugs ?. always money there..... hahaha
I am pluggin back in my metal polisher and doin a few on the sly jobs again,frames,forks,swingarms and shit like that.lotta stainlessor alloy turbo piping for the ricers etc..........

CBRRRT
26-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Only people not affected by the ression, long term unemployed. They get everything paid for them and dont give a fuck who the prim minister is, or what the interest rate is doing.

Only one thing seperates them from us, we can afford nice toys like Streetfighters.

WATEVR
26-02-2009, 09:42 PM
i work for a recruitment company and i can tell you that there are a lot of companies taking advantage of this down turn and down sizing in departments that they dont necessarily have too. (ie gold mines.)it is amazing how quickly this has hit......

Bear
26-02-2009, 10:10 PM
^^ I reckon that's why that King Gee clothing mob sacked heaps of staff and sent production to asia. If they did this in pre-recession times, there'd be a backlash on buying their product. But now they can use the recession as the excuse to get cheaper labour to make their goods and the public fall for it.

bluemk1
26-02-2009, 10:14 PM
<s>apply for job with king gee</s>

hell of a commute, probably look for something closer to home :D

Tony OW31
26-02-2009, 11:32 PM

I'd probably get in to something that requires no qualifications, and pays shitloads of money, pretty much anything in the building trade really.
Concreting seems like a good thing, pair of gumboots and a big trowel and voila, I'm a concretor.

Docktor
27-02-2009, 12:27 AM
MMMmmmmmmmmmm , pretty sure ya need ass crack to be a bricky or is that just plumber ?

pt
27-02-2009, 12:28 AM
thankfully my job is safe, but even in my job they keep talking about cutting staffing and lowering costs. i know of one hospital where they sacked people even though they were actually understaffed to start with! Fucking bean men should shove their beans up their shiny fat arses.

Do what everyone else has said, if you look keen and show that you want to work, you will eventually get something. and don't discount stuff cause its not quite the right pay. I would just try to get SOMETHING then go from there.

336LJ
27-02-2009, 02:40 AM
where abouts are you/z - if your anywhere near the south side of bris get into the grocery holdings/distribution companies -
doesnt matter how poor everyone is, food and house hold necessities are going to be the last thing you stop buying before your homeless.

I'm on just over $30 an hour,(plus a weekly bonus according to your efficency) to pick boxes up and put them back down as a shit kicker, been there 2 years, I'll be fucked if I'm risking packing it in for another job the way people are being turned down on the outside.
We currently have a roster change going for our shift, and across 2 others, and the way it appears is there arent enough current employees to satisfy the companies request for permanent positions to be filled, and as far as I know they are hiring more casuals (which is where you start off). and pushing for current employees to go permanent/part time permanent (4 months)

Get in NOW - the interview process takes a few weeks. send me a message if you are interested and I'll tell you more. theres alot of politics and bullshit but at the end of the day, if your not a dickhead, and dont mind boring work. you rock up for your 8hrs a day, work the minimum efficiency rate, run (or in my case WALK) around stacking pallets, then go home, no real responsibilities, and you can work at your own pace (cause the minimum of 85% is quite easy to stay over), as long as your not stupidly slow, some casuals get 4-5-6hr shifts depending on the days workload. breaks every 2hrs!.

even the minimum 12 - 16hrs a week (I'll have to double check that is still the go with the new EBA) is better than the dole.
I worked 4 days last week, 32hrs, and grossed just over 1k - A guy there gets around $500 a week bonus ontop of his pay. Some days I'v only worked 24hrs in a week and still got a decent packet.
As far as I know - the company isnt slowing down. its constantly getting bigger.

alot of guys on my shift in the afternoon work a day job, or run a business during the day. we usually start at 4pm but the changes are, for some fucked up reason going to be 2:45pm which has alot of people screwed regarding their kids. physical wise, if you can walk, bend over and bring yourself back up without popping a disc out, or DYING, you should be able to do it. We'v got people working there you'd swear had jobs in ammo factories in WW2.

Fight_fan
27-02-2009, 07:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Lucas

Lance is the heartbreaker[:p]

:D[^][:p]

Corrective services hey Lucas? That sounds alright hey! Hard to get into?

ej03
27-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Hey Weasel i,m a shit kikker metro driver..........
Some people choose to drive local......
i drive 3 nite's a week and run my shop, i drive
because i got sick of dealing with customers all the time.
That attitude is fucked, same attitude that some bastard ran me off the road a few years ago only to pull up in the next parking bay....
Matt go try Pizza Hut up there as a driver the guy that owns them has a couple of cars. i,m about to start a guy tonite if he is ok about 15hr / week to start,but i have a few cars. But delivering pizza's mightn't be your dream job but we still pay the award and it's easy work...... untill you get what you want it pays the bills.
we'er not all highway hero's

Tony OW31
27-02-2009, 08:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

where abouts are you/z - if your anywhere near the south side of bris get into the grocery holdings/distribution companies -
doesnt matter how poor everyone is, food and house hold necessities are going to be the last thing you stop buying before your homeless.

I'm on just over $30 an hour,(plus a weekly bonus according to your efficency) to pick boxes up and put them back down as a shit kicker, been there 2 years, I'll be fucked if I'm risking packing it in for another job the way people are being turned down on the outside.
We currently have a roster change going for our shift, and across 2 others, and the way it appears is there arent enough current employees to satisfy the companies request for permanent positions to be filled, and as far as I know they are hiring more casuals (which is where you start off). and pushing for current employees to go permanent/part time permanent (4 months)

Get in NOW - the interview process takes a few weeks. send me a message if you are interested and I'll tell you more. theres alot of politics and bullshit but at the end of the day, if your not a dickhead, and dont mind boring work. you rock up for your 8hrs a day, work the minimum efficiency rate, run (or in my case WALK) around stacking pallets, then go home, no real responsibilities, and you can work at your own pace (cause the minimum of 85% is quite easy to stay over), as long as your not stupidly slow, some casuals get 4-5-6hr shifts depending on the days workload. breaks every 2hrs!.

even the minimum 12 - 16hrs a week (I'll have to double check that is still the go with the new EBA) is better than the dole.
I worked 4 days last week, 32hrs, and grossed just over 1k - A guy there gets around $500 a week bonus ontop of his pay. Some days I'v only worked 24hrs in a week and still got a decent packet.
As far as I know - the company isnt slowing down. its constantly getting bigger.

alot of guys on my shift in the afternoon work a day job, or run a business during the day. we usually start at 4pm but the changes are, for some fucked up reason going to be 2:45pm which has alot of people screwed regarding their kids. physical wise, if you can walk, bend over and bring yourself back up without popping a disc out, or DYING, you should be able to do it. We'v got people working there you'd swear had jobs in ammo factories in WW2.

Are we talking woolies out by Johnson road? My son is looking for a job local, do you need a forklift ticket, or is there just general labouring jobs?

336LJ
27-02-2009, 11:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31
Are we talking woolies out by Johnson road? My son is looking for a job local, do you need a forklift ticket, or is there just general labouring jobs?

Close mate, I'm at coles up the road.
But just as I'm typing this there was some news thing about "woolworths hiring"

I can't speak for woolworths, but I have alot of mates at work that came from there. At my work you don't need a forklift ticket or anything. some of them don't even have a car licence!
You start as a picker. driving a pallet truck (backwards forklift that holds 2 pallets) The forklift positions are extremely rare, and you have to be there a long time as a permanent to get one.

The guys on the floor are an awesome bunch of people. I'm still only just getting chatting to people for the first time after 2 years! its massive.

gibbo
27-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Apply for Sol Trujilos job ( telstra boss ) pays well apparently, even if you did fuck the company and sack 10,000 people so now there are not enough staff to do the job! I coulda done that!!!!

pappas
27-02-2009, 01:33 PM

I'd probably get in to something that requires no qualifications, and pays shitloads of money, pretty much anything in the building trade really.
Concreting seems like a good thing, pair of gumboots and a big trowel and voila, I'm a concretor.

That comment is all to true! I'm amazed at the number of concreters that know fuck all about concrete! One guy on my site had been a concretor for 30 years and was amazed when he was shown how a slump test was done!!

As for work I would look into govt jobs, power companies, water council etc. I work for govt funded company and our budget has increased!!

Cruisecontrol
27-02-2009, 03:41 PM

i have considered postie work before but the fact that ou get payed sweet fuck all really isnt a great incentive, if it comes to it then sure ill go there but at the moment im not THAT desperate :D

$50k p.a. for riding a bike and shoving paper in holes?

I have done worse things for a whole lot less...

CBRRRT
27-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm finding there are lots of recruitment companys advertising jobs they dont have just to expand their data base, so when work does pick up they have you ready and waiting and they get their 9k introduction fee.

I got a call from a company yesterday asking me if they can redo my C.V. for £300.00 so even those cunts are taking advantage of what they think are desperate people.

Situation at the moment is shite, and as usual there are those about that try to exploit the weak, or desperate.

Be carefull what you sign up to, they are crafty fuckers that will try to talk you into spending money you dont have.

Weaselman
27-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Hey Weasel i,m a shit kikker metro driver..........
Some people choose to drive local......
i drive 3 nite's a week and run my shop, i drive
because i got sick of dealing with customers all the time.

Youre not a full time driver then are you?
I am

-Dex-
27-02-2009, 08:28 PM
If you have or can get an HR license, you can always find work as a garbo truck driver. Recession proof industry and not bad pay given the lack of qualifications. On top of that, your sense of smell will completely fade after a couple of weeks, as will any recollection of when you had personal hygiene or when women found you attractive, and you will never, ever, find yourself wishing you had some spare cardboard lying around. It's really pretty awesome. Especially when you're at a party or family gathering and you just wish people would leave you alone. All you do is initiate a conversation with someone, anyone, and when they ask you what you do, say "I'm a garbo!" and enjoy all the alone time you want! The perks are endless!

Jockney Rebel
28-02-2009, 02:32 AM
blue look up this link http://www.pirtek.com.au/ and click on employment dunno where you are but with a modicum of mechanical knowledge you can do this job
you get a free truck and are out on the road for 90% of the time basically your own boss ..if your untrained in hydraulics they will provide a months trainig in hoses and the rest is up to you ..if you just wanna be a hose jockey then leave it at that but with a bit of enthusiasim u can get into hydraulics fromthere ....
and were flat out right now
wages are around $ 22 an hour plus bonus 3%after16000,3.5%after18000and so on till 5%after28000 ...plus on call pay usually $100 a week for having the fone and double time for actaully doing something i cleared $1021 this week for 8hours o/t

Tony OW31
28-02-2009, 08:33 AM
quote:Originally posted by 336LJ

Close mate, I'm at coles up the road.
But just as I'm typing this there was some news thing about "woolworths hiring"

I can't speak for woolworths, but I have alot of mates at work that came from there. At my work you don't need a forklift ticket or anything. some of them don't even have a car licence!
You start as a picker. driving a pallet truck (backwards forklift that holds 2 pallets) The forklift positions are extremely rare, and you have to be there a long time as a permanent to get one.

The guys on the floor are an awesome bunch of people. I'm still only just getting chatting to people for the first time after 2 years! its massive.

Cheers mate, I'll get him on it first thing Monday.

bluemk1
28-02-2009, 11:32 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

blue look up this link http://www.pirtek.com.au/ and click on employment

something like that would be ideal.
problem is nothing going in sydney atm.
how often do jobs like this pop up?
cheers for the heads up on that :)

Jockney Rebel
28-02-2009, 04:24 PM
all the time blue mate trust me tho youd be better off in the rural ones ..much easier work ...the sydney guys are runoff their feet ..also take all the courses going mate iv got background in hydraulics and i still took the licence courses so that i had an aussie qual..best of luck :D

ej03
28-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Use to Weasel, Use to....

bluemk1
01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
i dont mind working for my money, if it means im on call then so be it. nothing like being busy at work to pass the time quicker.

if i was living out bumfuck nowhere then i would go for a rural position but not willing to move for work so will see if something comes up local.

if they offer courses then i would definately take up that offer. nothing like learning all you can to improve your skills [8D]