PDA

View Full Version : Welding ???

12-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Can i weld mild steel to stainless using Electric Arc and stainless rods? I dont have a TIG.
thanks

ozkat
12-05-2006, 06:26 PM
yes you can davo. its actually alot easier to weld with stainless rods as well. or if you want ill weld them on my new beaut mig.

03gixxerpilot
12-05-2006, 06:31 PM
yep what oz said about welding

RR-711
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
G.day Davo i used stainless rods for joining mild and stainless for the first time just the other day piece a piss to use n sweet lookin too. Good luck

13-05-2006, 09:23 AM
thanks for the help. Shaynno i got lots to weld so it'll take me ages,but thanx for the offer.

cheers

BillyWhizz888
28-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi

new to this site and found this topic..... which just happens to be in my area of expertise.... I know... no brainer you think :-)

welding carbon to stainless steel is achievable with a 309 electrode, though unless proficient with MMA and dissimiler metals the chances of gas pores and slag inclusion are common, best to use tig as the argon purge helps to get rid of most of the impurities...

Previously in industry these two were often joined, these days, never if possible

BUT, carbon to stainless will cause problems, as the two materials combined will cause corrosion further down the track (Electrolosis)

Will be happy to assist in any way I can

Cheers