PDA

View Full Version : clutch basket???

dingo
23-02-2009, 09:33 PM
finally got to spend some quality time with my bike ('91 gsxr750 motor)
and the more i ride it its been letting out this very noisy rattling clunking noise when i put it in neutral , pull the clutch in and it not so bad. as the day got on the bike would splutter down low and even stop at the lights and not want to go again, give it a fistfull and its in its element. by the time i got home the noise was just scary to me. done a search and found some avice by evad,pappa smurf and devo,

quote:Originally posted by devo

As evad says balance the carbs and idle to at-least 1200 rpm.
if that fails it may be either the basket or another common problem
with Wakasakis is the chain that runs from the starter clutch to the crank if this is the case "fuck it" just persevere with it. Replacing it is a big job and even if you did replace it, it will more than likely do the same thing again within about 10,000 klms anyway. Goodluck, I hope this enlightens you a little bit.;)
But it does sound like the starter chain to me, how many K's has
it done by the way.[?]
I think Papa Smurf would back me up on this one.

quote:Originally posted by papa smurf

All very good advice Devo, you're pretty much spot on.
Hey Alfie, does the noise go away if you pull the clutch lever in?
If so it could be the clutch basket in which case put up with that too.

can any one else shed some light on this , :( i dont want to park it up , its been too much fun
Cheers
Carl

Benz
23-02-2009, 11:30 PM
You gotta tune the carbs first,[just like Evad said....] once they are cleaned and set,[along with the filters,vacuum hoses, tank checked etc..]you may find a lot of the clutch? rattle goes away, and the engine won't stumble down low. Can you identify exactly where the noise is coming from?? Is it gone when the bike is moving?
In higher mileage clutch baskets, there could be some notching on the slots, makes the clutch feel grabby.
It sounds like the bike needs a tune and service, a clutch inspection,and maybe new clutch plates.
My two cents mate

OZ750L
24-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Something to try Dingo. Use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope. Put the blade end against where you want to listen to and then put your ear against the top of the handle. With a bit of practice, you can identify the location and type of noise more accurately.

Follow the advice given and add to that valve clearances, cam chain tension and check your clutch is not dragging. Hell, go over it all as per the service guide. Won't hurt. Change the oil as well and use a semi-synthetic probably something like Motul 10W-50. It's basically a process of elimination to find what it isn't.

One thing to remember though is the O/C motors are a noisy motor and have various clunks and rattles. Most mechanics tell you if they aren't making funny noises, they are either not running or there is something wrong.

Confused you completely yet?

dingo
24-02-2009, 06:56 AM
thanks guys, havnt done the steel stethascope but its that loud it sounds like the clutch is gunna jump out the side , i can feel it clunking through the bike when travelling round 4k too , tryd to keep an eye on where it felt bad at wot revs but the noticed the needle on the tach had perrished off O_o ,the clutch action itself is smooth as. you can feel it when you pull up at the lights and if i put it in neutral and sit up then i get looks from all sides. poor thing needs a bit more love, give it a propper go over and do the basics first then proceed.

Docktor
24-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Someone hasnt stuck suzi stickers on a ducati and tricked ya have they ?
Are ya sure its not ya chain at 4 grand ? The clutch should be way out of the question by then...
Rip the clutch out and measure your plates up and sus the rest of it out while ya in there.

dingo
24-02-2009, 09:38 AM
haha, if that was the case i will sell it and buy 2 old skool suzies[:p],got the rego sticker and stuff yesterday and its regd as a red gsx750 katana O_o, she said'i wont look at it cos all your numbers match up', 88 frame,91motor ,gsx-r , ??? yeah sure does???,was gunna sort that out today but i will put everything on hold and pull the carbs, check em over again and do the vernier sync to start with, got all the bits to make the 'dodgy sync tool'will see what comes of that first. coin is holding me back from ripping it all open , i know soon as i do its off the raod for weeks or more , hence me asking all you good people in the know the experiences of your efforts.this is my first real bike so maybe im just not use to the big noises.will get back to you once the carbs are done:)
Cheers

OZ750L
24-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Dingo,

Just thinking. Drop the oil and pop the clutch cover and have a look. Check that nothing has gone AWOL in there like the clutch mounting nut has come loose. If you need one, I've got a couple of clutch fibre plate kits here if needed. Keep at it and we'll beat it.

dingo
24-02-2009, 11:00 AM
thanks OZ , i nearly got the carbs out, couldnt find the god key(hex key)soon as i got em out i will find a conatiner to save the oil[:I], rip the side off and let you guys know , i have no worries with mechanial stuff , im actually keen to get in there and looksee.
Cheers

dingo
24-02-2009, 08:52 PM
ok so heres where im up to, waiting on my air hose to come back home to finish the carbs, took the clutch cover off, at a first look everything seems tight,there was no up/down in/out movement,nut was tight and secure, took the plates and inner hub out, slightest bit of movement on the outer hub on the shaft,the shaft itself is solid as, springs exeed the manual(48.30mm open), fibre plates vary from (2.14mm-2.17mm) and steel plates are way below spec at(1.4mm-1.52mm), there is a fair bit of play between the teeth of the plates to the inner and outer hubs however the hub surfaces have no signs of wear, could these plates be my noise?

OZ750L
24-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Dingo,

I'm guessing so. Check specs against the manual. Also, you'll probably find that they have beaten themsleves around and opened up radial clearances between the teeth of the plates and the clutch basket. Drop a new set of steel plates in and see how you go.

dingo
24-02-2009, 10:23 PM
i will sorce out some newies and see how goes it, still worries me how the clunking noise got so much worse over a few hours to the first few rides i had.

dinorider
25-02-2009, 07:02 AM
if you take the clutch basket out have a good look at the needle roller bearing that the basket rides on.

dingo
25-02-2009, 02:09 PM
will replace the needle roller while im in there, doesnt SEEM to be much play but i will anyway. priced some parts today, might have to sit for a while :(

scotty mac
25-02-2009, 02:53 PM
try half a banana skin in the sump lol[B)]....

jus kiding i've got that old clutch of mine if ya need it

dingo
25-02-2009, 07:04 PM
'CLUTCH BASKET'scotty , not fruit basket:D
it's a gixxer not a virago!
your a legend man, didnt want to let go of that small slice of freedom.
catch you up tomorro;)

dingo
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
progress has been a bit slow, got scotts clutch setup which he said was a quiet good working clutch system before it was removed, measured and compared his parts with mine and his is actually more worse for wear than mine , so i put all mine back in and moved to the top end , valve clearences are spot on and i have a new camchain and guide arriving to put in, the auto adjuster is in top shape so is the idler gear. i will let you all know if the noise is still there once its back together again.

OZ , did you get my PM?

OZ750L
01-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Dingo,

Yep. Working on it.

dingo
02-03-2009, 08:55 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/41486836549015.JPG

forgot to add this before , markings on the outer edge???, cant find anything loose, looked inside, rolled the bike from side to side , bit of an X-file?

OZ750L
06-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Dingo,

These might help:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Suzuki-GSX600-750-GSXR750-clutch-friction-plates-CK3387_W0QQitemZ220369450148QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item220369450148&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Can't find anything at home atm.

dingo
06-03-2009, 02:14 PM
cheers OZ , may look into em, camchain still hasnt arrived , ordered it last friday too [V], was hoping to get it back together this weekend